Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 12:34:30 PM EDT
I have been carrying my sw640 .357 for a couple of years off and on but have been carrying a lot more of the time lately. I have found my little revolver a bit uncomfortable to wear.

This is why I am considering purchasing a new concealed carry gun. As I live in Florida my carry options are few (either a fanny pack or iwb carry, or an ankle holster when wearing dockers)and I want a very small auto. The Glock and the Kahr are the two that came to mind.

I am very interested in the mk9 box gun and have been impressed with the quality of the guns that I have handled from Kahr. From the other postings I have seen here it seems as though the Kahr's need a good break in.

1, Is this actually the case in that the
  Kahr's do need a breakin period?
2, After the break in have you had any other
  problems with them at all?
3, How well do you like your Kahr and do any of
  you have the mk9 series of pistols?

Thanks for any advice or opinions you have to offer.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
vortac-

I have had mixed results about the break-in with a Kahr steel frame auto.  My first K9 was a little finicky with standard pressure factory ammo for the first 200-300 rounds, but was no problem with +P or +P+.  
My second K9 and my P9 were broken in with +P and CorBon and I've not had any ammo malfunctions with either.
As to after break-in, my first K9 seems to be 100% reliable since break-in and now has about 2,500 rounds through it.
How well do I like my Kahr?  Well since I own three of them, I guess I'd say I like them a whole lot.  Still haven't bought any of the MK series guns, so can't answer that part of your question.
Please keep us informed if you do get a MK9.
If you do a search of this forum you should find previous discussion about the MK9 guns.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]

I live in Arizona. I tend to use a fanny pack most of the time. With shorts and T-shirts it is very hard to conceal otherwise. My MK-9 will fit in the smallest of fanny packs.

I own an MK-9 Elite 98 and a K-40 in matte stainless steel. The K-40 broke in in about 300 rounds. The MK-9 took much longer. I have now shot over 1200 rounds through the MK-9 and have had no malfunctions in the last 300-plus rounds. I think the gun tolerances are so tight that it takes awhile for things to seat.

If you get a gun in the MK series, I would stick with the 9mm. It's my own opinion that unless you are a very large man, that size gun in .40 caliber is difficult to control.

If you are going to get an MK-9 gun, I would strongly urge you to spend the extra money for the night sights, as I think this is an advantage over the J-frame revolver you are currently carrying.

I have found Kahr guns to be extremely accurate, even with the small barrel on the MK-9.

If you're interested in leather holster for other times of carry, I have one of the Alessi holsters (I have several of these for other guns as well). They're good quality and gun access is easy, with a tight fit. The magazine holders from Alessi fit the 9mm well. I found the .40 cal magazines were very tight and needed significant breaking-in time.

Happy Memorial Day!!

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I was only considering the 9mm as I can get practice ammo thru my agency. I have carried a 9mm for duty but no longer, I prefer the .45 with the +p rounds that we issue. The 9 is enough for personal carry. i will shoot +p's thru it though.

I appreciate the info. thanks
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top