Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2004 3:19:11 PM EDT
My SA WWII stainless still won't reliably feed JHP's. Ball ammo is perfect and no more FTE's after the break-in.

What I've tried: polished the ramp and even the chamber slightly. most every brand mag known to man, 18.lb wolfe spring. Over 400rds through it by now and it never gets through a mag of hp's without a stumble.

In the beginning it would fail to load them. You could see it was out of battery and you'd have to re-rack it, but with a new 18lb spring it now crams them in there and today they would fire, but not move the slide after firing. From the sound and feel I believe it was firing out of battery (ever so slightly). I'd have to man-handle the slide to extract the casing and start again... Frustrating.

My ammo was Fiochi, but I think some UMC got mixed in with my HP's so next time I'll try a different brand and be sure its the gun. Really seems like a tight chamber and maybe its the crappy UMC's that are causing it.

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Try a www.trippresearch.com mag...If anything will cheap and easy will help it's these mags.
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 4:00:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can find someone with several, borrow a couple of Wilson mags...they should eliminate the magazine as a potential issue here. I would also try standard velocity Remington 185gr. JHP's with the mags you are using now and see what happens. The Rem 185 has the closest profile to hardball, and I have found that they will feed in most unmodified 1911's. Don't try both at once or you will still not be sure which cures the problem (if, indeed, the problem goes away).
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions... I'll try the remington ammo and then more mags. Isn't UMC remington's farm label (made in another plant)?

A man can't have enough 1911 mags I guess.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Wilson Combat mags are the heat! I've always had good luck with power mags or heavier springs in std. mags, but this WWII would not feed HP's right until I bought the Wilson's. It must be the follower design, but whatever it is I'm impressed...

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Can we tack this thread at the top of the handgun forum for posterity so we dont have to keep repeating this?

Not that I'm stubborn or anything, but I know I've been given the same advice more than once for different problems/guns and I just couldn't imagine them being that much better than any others.

How about a 1911 malfunction/misfeeding checklist for new members:

1. Can you replicate your problem while using Wilson mags? <--- if you don't own any, buy some

2. If the pistol is new; have you fired over 250 rounds yet? Some things work themselves out

3. Have you tried a heavier Wolfe recoil spring yet (18.5lbs recommended)

4.?

Link Posted: 8/7/2004 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Loose the WWII problem pistol and get yourself a Glock.

Just kidding but in all honesty just send it back to SA...lifetime warranty...they will have it back to you lickety split (is that how you spell that?) and it will run 100% from that point on.

They are REALLY good about their customer service and warranty issues.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has Glock Tourettes Syndrome.  Dont let it disturb you.

Got it. GTS is a crippling disorder... That was a nasty outbreak on the handgun board and I think its still spreading.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has Glock Tourettes Syndrome.  Dont let it disturb you.

It seems that there is also a TERMINAL LACK OF ABILITY TO READ!!!!!!!!  The second line says... J.U.S.T. K.I.D.D.I.N.G.  Sheesh.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I've said about a zillion times ALWAYS use WILSON #47D magazines.  I also suggest the wilson combat extractor.   These two CHEAP items will usually get ANY 1911 running reliably with pretty much any load.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you can find someone with several, borrow a couple of Wilson mags...they should eliminate the magazine as a potential issue here. I would also try standard velocity Remington 185gr. JHP's with the mags you are using now and see what happens. The Rem 185 has the closest profile to hardball, and I have found that they will feed in most unmodified 1911's. Don't try both at once or you will still not be sure which cures the problem (if, indeed, the problem goes away).

My springfield will eat anything except out of my wilson mags!........Go figure...
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My springfield will eat anything except out of my wilson mags!........Go figure...

Good send me your wilson's and I'll send you my everything but.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
mine feeds hollow points perfectly after about 500 rounds.  At first it would ftf on occaison, but now it's flawless.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:14:26 PM EDT
[#19]
at least your's will feed ball.

my loaded model wont even feed ball and has been back to springfeild twice.

good luck,

I don't seem to have it when it comes to 1911 type pistols.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

hr

Dude! I got rid of my glocks and got a springfield!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top