Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2009 8:03:59 PM EDT
Ok so my dad only has a 6 1/2" Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag, an old school S&W M&P 30spl, and an even older 32 Short Top Break revolver.  Both he and my mom want to get their CHL's.  The M&P is actually hers.  I am on a quest to get my father a suitable handgun for CCW and more useable for HD use.  He's a badass with his 44 mag, but we can all agree a modern semi-auot is still better suited to the tast of HD and CCW.

I am a Glock guy, but don't have my nose stuck up to other brands.  My dad thinks Glocks are ok.  He likes their reputation, weight and capacity.  But he's old school so he like a metal gun.  He has always wanted a 1911, but could never afford one.

I have narrowed the choices down to 3.

1. Glock 19.  Legendary reputation.  Light weight 20.99 oz w/o mag.  High capacity. And most importantly it's the least expensive so I can get it sooner.  I get the LE price of $389 + tax and 3 mags.
2. Springfield XD Compact 45acp. Good capacity for a 45.  29oz w empty mag.  I've only shot an XD a couple of times.  I like the ergonomics and they have pretty good triggers for service guns.  This is the 2nd most expensive.
3. Springfield Operator LW Champion.  This would likely be his favorite and is in one of his favorite calibers.  Least capacity. 31 oz w empty mag.  Best ergonomics.  This is the one I really want to get him but I am also very short on cash so it would take a while to save up.  But most likely to have reliability and teething problems.

All 3 are just about the same size and weight when loaded.  The 1911 is the most stylish.  I know thats not the most important thing, but when you can only afford a few guns actually liking the gun is pretty important.  I can get LE pricing on all of these guns.  The 9mm is more readily available in our neck of the woods ans half the price.  But he likes 45 better. $389 for the Glock, about $425ish for the XD, and Close to $900-1k for the Operator.

What does the Springfield crowd thing?  I'm guesing the 1911 is gonna take the cake.  The Glock crowd would say get the 19 and a bunch of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#2]
with a HD gun, i want the highest capacity. hard to beat the xd45 and its 13+1 capacity
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't believe I am going to say this, but: He is very familiar and capable with revolvers... why not a J-Frame, or even snubby Model 10 ? If it must be an auto, go with either the Glock or the XD, depending on which feels better in is hands. Avoid the 1911, because manipulating the safety under pressure will be alien to a revolver man.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
poll is faulty
where is the buy all of them choice?
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted 1911A1.

I own a Glock 19, and that is what I would pick for me.

But, from what you said, your dad likes the 1911A1 and wants a metal gun. That's what I would get him, the 1911A1.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 8:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the 1911. Buy your dad something he would want, cause if you get him something he doesn't like, he won't enjoy the firearm and won't have the heart to tell you he doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If you go with the XD compact, you should get some pearce grip extensions for the compact mags. I only have the compact mags, they are all I use, and they feel great with the extensions. 10 rounds of .45acp is good enough for me. The mags get dented easily, though. They could use some kind of heat treating...
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Why Glock 19? Keep it all the same caliber. Glock 21 should be the choice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Of the 3, a Glock 19. If your dad wants a 1911, I'd check into a full-sized version instead. I carry regularly my Loaded 1911 without any issues and I think he'd enjoy shooting a 'proper' 1911 vs the compact. Also, +1 on the G21. Glock has a metric ton of aftermarket stuff where the XD is just getting their feet wet.
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#10]
He has good fundamentals and can shoot any gun well.  He is familiar with autos but has never been able to afford one, but he does like them.  He hasn't bought a new gun since I've been able to remember.  My main purpose is to get him a reliable auto that shoots either 9mm or 45acp.  No 40 cal.  But my secondary mission is to get him a gun he will love.  He still has his revolvers so he has two all steel guns.  He likes the attributes of polymer, but I still think he'd like the 1911 best.  He also likes the simplicity and ruggedness of my Glocks.  So I was also thinking the XD compact because he'd like the ergonomics better than the Glock.

Loads of people carry 1911's every day.  And an alloy frame champion would be good for carry, while not getting too small, and would still be good for HD.  

My 21SF is too big.  If I buy him a 21SF he'll never carry it.

All three have rails and can accept lights if he decides he wants one.

He also doesn't have enough trigger time dedicated to one specific type of gun for transitioning to either of these to be a problem.  He wouldn't mind the 1911 and could get the hand of the saftey.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#11]
If your dad expressed that he's wanted a 1911 then I'd go with that as a starter.  If it doesn't work out for him he can adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I was discussing this with another officer while we were at the range.  When I mentioned the LW Operator Champion he mentioned that it might have noticable more felt recoil than a similar sized polymer framed 45.  I was not sure a polymer frame would flex enough to make a noticeable difference.  He said he hadn't shot an alloy framed champion in a while, but didn't remember it as particularly fun to shoot.

We also discussed low and high bore axis.  The XD having a higher bore axis.  The other officer had his new S&W M&P 45 and 45 Compact and a Glock 19.  The Glock 19 and M&P 45 Compact were identical in size and weight, at least as far as I could tell with the naked eye.  It is thinner than the XD 45's.  

I am now considering the M&P 45 compact.  He might like it better at the range than the 1911 and might enjoy a standard 5" steel fram 1911 later on.

So as of now the Glock 19 and M&P 45 Compact are neck and neck.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was discussing this with another officer while we were at the range.  When I mentioned the LW Operator Champion he mentioned that it might have noticable more felt recoil than a similar sized polymer framed 45.  I was not sure a polymer frame would flex enough to make a noticeable difference.  He said he hadn't shot an alloy framed champion in a while, but didn't remember it as particularly fun to shoot.

We also discussed low and high bore axis.  The XD having a higher bore axis.  The other officer had his new S&W M&P 45 and 45 Compact and a Glock 19.  The Glock 19 and M&P 45 Compact were identical in size and weight, at least as far as I could tell with the naked eye.  It is thinner than the XD 45's.  

I am now considering the M&P 45 compact.  He might like it better at the range than the 1911 and might enjoy a standard 5" steel fram 1911 later on.

So as of now the Glock 19 and M&P 45 Compact are neck and neck.

I find the XD45's recoil to be quite manageable. The M&P is a good gun, also. He might like a mid-size M&P, with a full-size frame and 4'' barrel.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Glock 19 is probably the best all around hand gun of all time. I love mine. If I had to sell every gun I own but one I would keep it. I have probably put 5k down the pipe without one single malfunction of any kind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on the 1911, but there are less expensive models that will give him what he wants without breaking the bank.  I like the G19, but it was never in the cards for me, so I have a G17.  I'm just as apt to grab the G17 as I am to grab the Springfield GI (Champion size).  It just depends on my mood.  And I also have a hi-cap 2011 should the need arise.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm torn. I voted XD45 for the capacity, but if your Dad has a fondness for the 1911 you should get him one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Get him the Springer 1911. I've got a few and love 'em. He has expressed interest in the 1911, so you know he would be thrilled to get one. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm torn. I voted XD45 for the capacity, but if your Dad has a fondness for the 1911 you should get him one.

This.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I keep trying to convince myself otherwise, but can't move past the LW Operator Champion.  If is just perfect for his needs.  He doesn't shoot a whole lot so being light weight is a little more important than the ideal range gun.  Plus I'm sure he'll end up with a full size steel frame after that and it will be his main range gun.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
I would say 1911. I carry a stainless Champion every day. It's a chunk but it's doable with a good holster and belt. The one thing to consider with the LW Operator is the limited choice for CCW type holsters. Maybe a LW or even steel Champion without a rail would be the way to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing wrong with any of the choices.  I'm a 1911 fan, and it sounds like that's what he wants, so that's what I voted.  Does he prefer the compact 1911 or would he like a full size better?  I carry a full size 1911 most of the time and I don't have any problems concealing it.  It's not as hot here as it is in TX, but it gets up there.  When I'm in shorts I carry my XD9, but wish I had a single stack polymer at those times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top