Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2003 2:00:03 PM EDT
I just converted some M9 mags for my XD9, any ideas of what to do about the gap from the base of the grip to the magazine?

Jon
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Worry more about the other end. Be careful that the top doesn't hit the extractor.

Also, look at buying som 40S&W magazines. Do the same thing with far better fit.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Like Sig_230 said, worry more about the top, but I'd be more concerned about the magazine hitting the ejector than the extractor.  The ejector sits a little lower and is more flimsy. I've heard of people using rubber O-rings to fill the gap.  Personally, I'd stick with the XD40 or XD357 Sig mags.  Mine hold 15 rounds of 9mm, fit flush with the bottom and function fine.  Plus, I have an XD357 so the mags serve a dual purpose.  There's a guy on XD talk that sells slightly modified XD 40 mags for 23 dollars a pop. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Beretta magazine that I converted to fit my XD9.  It functions just fine.  I was bothered by the gap between teh magazine floor plate and the bottom of the grip.  At the local gunshow I purchased an XD357 SIG magazine.  IT is a perfect fit and functions flawlessly.  There is no gap.  I sat here thinking about what to do about the gap and decided to to try swapping the Beretta and the XD9 floor plate.  It worked.  I swapped bothe the floor plate and the plate that has the latch pin (not sure how else to describe it)
The Beretta magazine with the XD floor plate has just slightly larger gap than the factory magazine has.  You can find the factory XD40 or the XD357 SIG magazines for around $25.00.  They both hold 15 9mm rounds.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I am using it as a duty weapon for an armed security job.  My question is is putting 15 rounds in a post ban 40/357 mag legal?  I need to be defensible if I have to shoot.

Jon
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, what is a good source for o rings?

Jon
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 8:14:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting read on the magazine issue.

http://members.aol.com/hs2000fanatic/letter.pdf
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
CS

Putting 9mm in a 40S&W or 357SiG mag is perfectly legal. As long as a magazine is not modified so that it will not work in the gun it was built for it is okay. You are probably on shakier ground with a modified mag than using an unmodified mag for a different caliber.

And yes, it's the ejector, not extractor that you need to worry about. Mea Culps.

BUT....

In your job, simply carrying more 10 round mags is probably the best solution for you from both a legal and practical stand point. First, it's highly unlikely that you will ever fire a weapon in the line of duty. Second, if you do, the single most important thing for you will be reliability. In that case, reduncency, having additional mags on hand, and removing every possible opportunity for things going wrong that you can is most likely the safest course. The number of rounds you can squeeze into a mag should be way down on your list of requirements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top