Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 2:31:22 PM EDT
I'm looking at picking up a Springfield 1911-A1 in 9mm.  The pistol is in excellent shape.  It has a parked frame with a blued slide, and standard sights.  The serial number is in the 412XX range with a NM prefix.  What would be a good starting offer for this pistol?  The seller never shoots it and it's just taking up space.  Also, do the 9mm pistols use the same frame as the .45s?

-NeedAclip
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
A price is the same as one in .45acp caliber, I've been told. I too have a SA 1911 in 9mm & I wondered if mine had appreciated any since I bought it. I NEVER see them at gun shows, I'd thought it'd be worth just a bit but I was told no.

I'd offer maybe $400 & see where he goes from there. They're great guns to play with as well to teach novices with after they graduate from shooting .22s.

The "NM" prefix doesn't mean squat.

I'm not sure but I think both calibers use the same frame. That way they can use the same holster.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
The 1987 Gun Digest lists the parkerized pistol at $362 retail, in reality may have sold for $325 tops, NIB.
I would feel him out as to what he thinks it's worth, (or what he wants) then throw a number at him...my opening bid would be around $300.
My older Blue book says $400 in 100%, $360 in 98%, $330 in 95%, if you go by the book.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help!  I have one more question.  When I started taking the pistol down for cleaning, I could not get the slide off.  I followed the field stripping guide for the 1911-A1 .45.  Is something different with the 9mm version?
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
No, the slide is the same as a .45 for stripping. A bit of help is to push the slide release out & remove the slide with the barrel still in it. Then remove the spring which in turn removes all the pressure on the barrel bushing. Then you can remove it at your leisure.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Bob, you want to trade that for a 2-day-old Browning HP Practical with three mags and 100 rounds through it?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bob, you want to trade that for a 2-day-old Browning HP Practical with three mags and 100 rounds through it?

Why would I need two High Powers?    

I have the best 9mm's ever made: HP, P7M8, 92FS, Luger & 1911. I still lack that P-210 though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Just as a reference:

I just bought a SA 1911-A1, parkerized only in .45ACP.  I bought it this last weekend and the blue book says it was worth about the same as mentioned before for the 9mm.  I paid $300.  Mine is about 99% and came with two sets of grips, an extra set of grip screws, a bore brush, a holster, two 8rd mags, and a box of Speer gold dot hollowpoints.  I think I got a great deal.  I would offer about $300.

Oh yeah, the blue book says mine was made between 1988-1990.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the replies.  I ended up getting it for doing some computer work.  I think it was a pretty good deal.  Now I would like to build it up with a WWII .45 parts kit.  Are they commercially available?  Or at the least start with a complete WWII slide and a couple of .45 mags.

-NeedAclip
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you intend to swap it back & forth between 9MM and .45ACP? Or just leave it as a .45?
If your answer is to leave it as a .45, it may be cheaper to just find a SA in .45 as the sum of the GI parts would be at least another $200 over and above the initial cost of the 9MM.
The swap is do-able but the ejector on the frame would have to match whatever slide you use and that may make it impractical, back & forth.
Latest gunshow prices on GI slides were $90 & up for decent ones, barrels about $30 for shot out ones to over $100 for some better ones, even aftermarket.
Maybe by selling off the 9MM top end, after you make sure the .45 parts work, you may defray some of the expense of your project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top