Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 9:03:30 PM EDT
looking for input and opinions on both pros and cons to each I will be purchasing one of them for a backup weapon and concealed carry....any help and input is appreciated
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
As back up never get a comp brl. it will blind you at night giving the right load and scenario.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#2]
The only owners of the V10 that I know of had to send it back to SA for repair just to make it run. Certainly that's not a wide survey but these guns don't seem to be very popular as I rarely see them at gun shows.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My V10 SUCKED!  New meaning to Pray and Spray...Ya Prayed it shot and if it did it sprayed.

I have an UltraCompact now and it's a thing of beauty-thanks to Gary and Ted Yost.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I am anti comp and brake guy.
Rifles and pistols!

I like at the indoor range how every time you shoot the reflected wave feels like someone had patted you on your head.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a Ultra Compact late last May. With the factory mag, it wouldn't feed worth crap, and the slide didn't lock back after the last round. So, I forked out for a couple of Wilson Combat mags. That solved the feed problems, but the slide still didn't lock back. I also found that, if I manually locked the slide back and shook the weapon, the slide would slam forward. I called SA and made arrangements to return it for warrantee work, but decided to keep it until I finished a handgunning class I'm scheduled to take next Monday. Yesterday, I found that I couldn't disengage the thumb safety. On further inspection, I found that the plunger tube is pulling away from the frame, causing the safety plunger to come out over the thumb safety.

I'm waiting for a call back from SA now. I'm not all that far away from the factory, and am hoping that they can do something to make this right before my class Monday. Otherwise, I'm out a hundred and ten bucks in tuition. I do have to say though that they've been pleasant and responsive on the phone so far. We'll see what happens.

The moral of this story? Don't buy a ultra compact if you need it to function out of the box. From what I hear, they'll put any problems right under warranty, but I guess trips back to the factory are pretty common.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a V-10 that worked flawlessly! But it will blind you at night from the flash through the ports. I traded it for somthing else, but not because I didn't like it. I now have a V-12 ported model that sees range time only. Nice gun also.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the V-10, which is for sale on this board. Not because I dont like it, but because I dont use it.

Mine functions fine.  Although it dosent like lead slugs, it eats up FMJ without a problem. I almost got a new barrel for it for CHL, but just decided to sell it to pay some bills off..
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I got an Ultra Compact last week.  It works good with ball ammo but won't feed hollow points.  I am going to call Springfield tomorow to see about sending it back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I owned the steel, single stack Ultra Compact.  It was an excellent little weapon, very accurate and reliable.  Unfortunately I really didn’t have a use for it any more.  It was replaced as a carry weapon by a Kel-Tec P11.  I am still a firm believer that a .45 is a much better defense round than a 9mm (strictly MHO), but the size and weight of the Kel-Tec won me over.  I traded the Springfield for a Norinco 1911A1 clone and a spotting scope.  The Norinco is a great range gun and I am having a ball customizing it (long trigger, polished trigger system, lightened hammer spring, nickel plated slide, etc.).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top