Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2007 3:01:58 PM EDT
Hey guys. is 3 FTE's out of 100 rounds of WWB too many? Should I try a different brand of ammo?
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
huh? I couldn't hear you just then.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea....kinda what I thought to. Ummm are you "hearing" us when we type or something?

Anyway, I would say try different ammo. My XD 9 Tactical and Sub-Compact eats anything I feed it, but usual problems with ammo tells you to try something different. How many rounds are through your XD so far?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea....kinda what I thought to. Ummm are you "hearing" us when we type or something?

Anyway, I would say try different ammo. My XD 9 Tactical and Sub-Compact eats anything I feed it, but usual problems with ammo tells you to try something different. How many rounds are through your XD so far?

1k tops.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:01:19 AM EDT
[#5]
That's normal for WWB. Use good ammo and the problem will go away (Federal American Eagle, Blazer Brass, etc.).
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's normal for WWB. Use good ammo and the problem will go away (Federal American Eagle, Blazer Brass, etc.).

Thanks! Was looking for something just like this!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey my "try something different" comment was'nt good enough? Man I tell you, no appreciation.

J/K BTW
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have never had any issues with shooting WWB out of any of my XDs. However, it is the best place to start troubleshooting your FTEs. Try a few different brands and find one that works best with your XD.

Also, it can't hurt to give your XD a good detailed cleaning. Especially on the breech face and extractor areas. Could be getting gunked up and causing some of the issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It was spotless before these hundred rounds... Plus I decided that if it's supposed to be reliable, it had better make it through the 300 rounds I purchased, no problems.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:54:33 AM EDT
[#10]
My XD9 will eat anything i feed it. the only problem is when i feel like dicking around and i pull out the 32rd pro mag. with any factory mags, I've never had a problem...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except for it's BS.  WWB is good clean ammo.  Winchester brass is among the best.  I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds of various calibers without problems regarding ammo.  .45, 9mm, .38, .308, 5.56, .223, .308, and .30-06.

If you have 3 FTE's with 115 grain 9mm WWB, my opinion is you have a pistol problem.  I'm not saying different ammo might not do it, but you shouldn't be having that kind of success rate with that ammo.  If it is in fact WWB.  Unless you got a bad lot or something.  Which is possible, but unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I have about a thousand rounds of WWB through my XD9, never had any problems. I've put maybe 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through, no problem. A few hundred rounds of Blazer aluminum case, no malfunctions.

Never had a single malfunction in my XD9 ever. It think I'm at around ~1.5K in the pistol total. And I shoot mainly WWB through it. So, maybe try another brand of ammo, but I'd also re-clean the extractor and ejector, and lube the rails, etc.

The XD should function with WWB. I've heard the rim on WWB 9mm is slightly thinner than the rim on other 9mm ammo, and that at time's caused extraction problems, but I've had nothing but good experiences with WWB.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:09:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except for it's BS.  WWB is good clean ammo.  Winchester brass is among the best.  I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds of various calibers without problems regarding ammo.  .45, 9mm, .38, .308, 5.56, .223, .308, and .30-06.

If you have 3 FTE's with 115 grain 9mm WWB, my opinion is you have a pistol problem.  I'm not saying different ammo might not do it, but you shouldn't be having that kind of success rate with that ammo.  If it is in fact WWB.  Unless you got a bad lot or something.  Which is possible, but unlikely.

+1

I agree.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:28:56 PM EDT
[#14]
so consider sending to springfield?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#15]
When you say FTE do you mean the case does not get extracted? Sometimes these acronyms get misused. What exactly is the pistol doing?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:46:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I agree.

I forgot to mention .30 carbine too.  Although I admit, I can never get that thing to run without some malf.  But it's not the ammo because it happens with all kinds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Maybe.

Check your grip first. Or have someone else run 100 rounds through it to verify the problem.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.

Check your grip first. Or have someone else run 100 rounds through it to verify the problem.

Was out blowing off the last 120 rounds I had today.12 FTE's!!!!! in 120 rounds.... 10% failure rate... Horrible. Happened to both me and my friend, not grip... Any sugggestions other than call up springfield? It already had a loose rear sight and has been to springfield once before, not something I cherished too well. Maybe they can send me a new part for it?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
That is not good.  They use WWB at springfield.  At least with their 1911's.  The custom shop guy told me at the NRA Convention when they were here.  So, you may want to call them and tell them what's going on.  I suspected limpwristing too.  But that's alot.  Plus a really good functioning pistol won't  be affected too much by limpwristing.  At least not that much.  Unless you are a total newb or something and you are barely gripping it.  But I'm guessing that's probably not the case.

Can you explain like Quib said EXACTLY what you mean by FTE.  Maybe when you do that some others will have some ideas.  Like, is the fired brass staying in the chamber and the slide wont go back?  Is it stovepiping?  Is the brass sitting parallel between the chamber and the slide?  What exactly is going on?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Some times the brass is still completely in the chamber, didnt move a bit, and sometimes its half way out of the chamber. Never stove pipes, never gets out of the chamber.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:07:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Same thing happened with a friend of mine's XD9 - it would leave the empties in the chamber and attempt to chamber a fresh round, only with ammo out of one particular box of WWB and no matter who was shooting it (myself included).  I finished off the rest of his box of WWB with my Glock, and gave him the rest of my box of WWB which he finished without malfunction.  Extractor was clean and tight, chamber was clean, only thing I can figure is that certain lots of WWB do not agree with the chambers on certain XD9's (never seen this with the XD40 or 45) - i.e. chamber is too tight.  Is yours one of the older ones with the original park'd finish or one of the newer melonited ones?  I have two XD9's that get fed WWB 90% of the time without this problem, but they are of more recent manufacture than my buddy's.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Same thing happened with a friend of mine's XD9 - it would leave the empties in the chamber and attempt to chamber a fresh round, only with ammo out of one particular box of WWB and no matter who was shooting it (myself included).  I finished off the rest of his box of WWB with my Glock, and gave him the rest of my box of WWB which he finished without malfunction.  Extractor was clean and tight, chamber was clean, only thing I can figure is that certain lots of WWB do not agree with the chambers on certain XD9's (never seen this with the XD40 or 45) - i.e. chamber is too tight.  Is yours one of the older ones with the original park'd finish or one of the newer melonited ones?  I have two XD9's that get fed WWB 90% of the time without this problem, but they are of more recent manufacture than my buddy's.

It's older park.But 2 of the 3 boxes of 100 were bad. not just one box
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like a tight chamber or a burr.
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#24]
How can I check for those>? take it to the local gunsmith?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Well, if you can't see or feel anything visibly yourself, yeah, that's an option.  Pull your barrel out and see if you can see anything.  Shine a bright light.  If it's a tight chamber, you won't notice anything.  But alot of times you can see a burr / imperfection / machining mark or ridge.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:30:36 PM EDT
[#26]
If you don't see anything with the method mentioned by JJREA, I would send back to SA and see how they handle it.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you don't see anything with the method mentioned by JJREA, I would send back to SA and see how they handle it.  

I think that's what I'll have to do...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top