Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/20/2007 12:16:28 AM EDT
I use a Kel-Tec p-11 as my concealment piece, and I am not overwhelmingly confident with the firearm's reliability.

I use a Springfield 1911 as my bedside firearm, and I am very satisfied with the quality and reliability.

In the past I owned a Glock 26 and was impressed with the reliability, but my markmanship with the G26 was not up to par. I attributed the poor markmanship to the small grip of the G26.

I am in the market for a concealable 9mm and I am debating between the G19, or the Springfield XD Sub-Compact 3 inch barrel.

My questions to the forum members are:

What is your experiences with the XD series reliability?

Are there any Glock to Springfield XD converts, and what are your thoughts?

Could anyone provide links to reviews of the XD?

Any other thoughts that you feel would help in my decision would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Well I happen to own both pistols that you are looking at and do not have any bad to say about either. I am an XD convert but the G19 is just a pistol that is hard not to like since it is almost the perfect size. The 3" XD is great to shoot also but needs the pinky finger extensions for sure. Both pistols have been very reliable for me. My sugestion would be to get which ever one felt better in your hand and which trigger felt better but remeber also that both pistols can have a trigger job done to them so I would say the ergos would be the most important. I have not found either to have a reliability problem and both of mine are about the same as far as accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:29:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an XD40 in the 4" model.  Had it for what....3 or 4 years now...LOVE it.  I have never had a single jam.  Also VERY easy to pull apart and clean.  GREAT pistol.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
My XD-45 5" has about a thousand rounds through it, more than half handloads, and never a jam or failure to feed. It's all been 230gr ball though, which may affect that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 4" XD 45 I use for duty and have about 1000 to 1500 rounds through it.  Everything from Winchester white box to Remington Subsonics.  I use Ranger SXTs for duty use and have never had a single hiccup to date.  The trigger is great and the action is very smooth.

I also have a Glock 22 and while its a nice pistol it's not as fun to shoot as my XD.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#5]
XD45 x 2. Unjammable. Even decroded crap ammo won't jam them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an XD45, with about 1000 rounds now. Never missed a beat! One-hole groups, fired from a rest, at 15-20 feet. I LOVE this gun!
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]
XD45 owner here, 550 downrange no issues (its kinda new).  My best friend owns 3, with one near 8k.  Nary a problem....they only jam when his reloads are out of spec.  NEVER on factory ammo.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 3:48:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an XD 9 sub compact, but I haven't had it long enough to give you an honest report on it. I do have a link to a review though.

link
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 7:38:08 AM EDT
[#9]
My brother has a Glock 17 which I shoot more than him & I own an XD 45 Tactical. Both guns are exceptional but I like my XD over his Glock the grip angle & grip for me are just perfect. My XD has feed every round perfect same as the Glock. Every one I know who has an XD has been very happy you cant go wrong.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
A couple of my IPSC shooting buddies use the XD .45acp in our matches & I have yet to see any of them have any sort of failure of any kind.

These seem to be damn fine guns. Not as good as H&K, of course, but fine guns never the less.    
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:17:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's another link you may find of interest.

XD TORTURE TEST
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an XD-40 Service, and an XD-40 subcompact.  Both have a few thousand rounds through them without a single failure.  I had a Kel-Tec P-11 that was also trouble free.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 2(xd40 service and xd9 sub) they are both a blast to shoot and eat anything. Also very accurate and natural to aim even for a beginner. I wouldnt even bother looking at other pistols as Im so happy with the xd family.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a XD45 Service and XD45 Tactical.

They're black, ugly, boring, accurate and utterly reliable with any ammo I've ran through them so far.

I have heard rumors of the XD series choking on SWC lead bullets.  These are unconfirmed.
I think there is more info about that phenomenon at the XD Forums.

My XD 45 Tactical ran 225gr cast flat nosed bullets at standard and +P(1000fps) pressures. without a hitch.

If Springfield decides to pull it's head out of its collective behind and make some 10mm XD's I'd buy one of those too.

ZM
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#16]
3x 45's and 1 sub compact 9mm and I can describe them with one word - Flawless.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had some problems with underpowered ammo(Brown Bear 9mm), but as long as I feed it properly it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

They're black, ugly, boring, accurate and utterly reliable with any ammo I've ran through them so far.

I have heard rumors of the XD series choking on SWC lead bullets.  These are unconfirmed.

My XD 45 Tactical ran 225gr cast flat nosed bullets at standard and +P(1000fps) pressures. without a hitch.

If Springfield decides to pull it's head out of its collective behind and make some 10mm XD's I'd buy one of those too.

ZM

I agree I would definitely get a 10mm chambered XD to go along with my XD45.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
i'm over 3k on my XD40 service model. not a single jam or failure of any kind.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had no issues with my XD9SC or Tactical XD45. The XD9SC is accurate; more than what I expected from a 3" barrel. The XD45 is just stupid accurate. When I used it to qualify for my CCL, I had a small ass grouping. I would probably venture and say it was around 3" from 3 yards, 7 yards, and 15 yards. I had one stray on me, but I was hit in the face by a case from my sister next to me!

My front sights are still on and they are made of steel! As tight as the stock sights are, I would have to see one fall off in person to believe it!

+1 on an 10mm XD. That is my next pistol, if one comes out! <fingers crossed>
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 4:13:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ZM

I agree I would definitely get a 10mm chambered XD to go along with my XD45.

Did someone say 10mm XD?

PS:  +1 to the post above, gun is very boring, but very reliable.   I love mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 5:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
My XD has been flawless so far. My brother-in-law owns a Glock and likes it but he also likes my XD just as much.  I don't think you could go wronge with either but I like the feel of the XD's grip more, the added grip safety, and the fact the it has less moving parts than a Glock(or at least that's what I've heard).  
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#23]
XD40.

Reliability: 100%

Glock Convert: No, but I DO own both an XD40 and a G17. Bought the XD40 first (by 4 years or so)

Personally, I like the XD9sc better than the Gen3 G19s. The finger grove grips do NOT fit me worth a damn. My G17 is a Gen 2 and fits my hand very well. Haven't played with a Gen 2 G19m, yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2007 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]
XD9 here with about 1000 mixed rounds (FMJs, HPs, brass, steel, aluminum casings).  No jams yet.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#25]
XD9 Subcompact with ~2,500 rounds-zero problems.
XD9 Service with about ~1,500 rounds-zero problems.

The round count maybe low but I know the XD9 Service has been treated rough and likes it that way!

Magazine wise I only use Springfield OEM Stainless magazines in both.  Never had a problem with them in either pistol.

Ammo used: The gamut, I mean Wolf, WWB, Federal, Cheap stuff with aluminum cases, Independence ammo, reloads, etc.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2007 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Ask range folks that rent XDs. You might be surprised what you hear. I was.

I got a when I asked about XDs and was told they have experienced broken barrel lugs on all models. Note that it is a high volume rental range that is for sure.

When I asked what in their experience is the durability king? Glock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Never had a malfunction with my brother's old XD-45
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
XD-45acp 4" - over 1200 rounds no problems

XD-45acp 5" - over 800 rounds no problems

XD-40 4" - Over 3000 rounds no problems

XD-9mm 3" subcompact - about 300-350 rounds, no problems

Not going to hear any problems from me about the XD's
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#29]
+1 for the XD in 10mm
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#30]
love mine, both are .40 cal though
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I prefer the XD-9 sub, the grip and feel , and clip release, too bad the barrel is so short, shoots strongest with 147gr or larger,has never jammed or misfired.Holdsters are hard to find for it ..
Link Posted: 8/21/2007 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had an XD40 service model for about 6 or 7 years... (I bought it when they first came out)...

Never had a jam or a problem... very accurate.

I have a few friends that have shot it, and then went out and bought one too.

But I still love the Glocks too, both are very accurate, and reliable.
It all depends on which one you like better (ie... ergonomics, and comfortability)
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I own two XDs. A 9mm service that my wife and I shoot paper with at the range and a .40 SC that I carry concealed. The 9mm has been a real workhorse.  We beat the shit out of that pistol and have 7-8k rounds through it and have never had a problem. I installed a Don's guide rod and spring last year and I enjoy shooting it even more now if that's possible.

The .40 SC has 1500 rounds through it and has also been a great companion.

I have nothing against Glocks. They have been around longer so they've had more time to build a well deserved and solid reputation. It is also easier to find accessories for Glocks. However, the XDs fit my hands better and have been a joy to have around.

I wouldn't get rid of either of them and I hope to buy a .45 someday; but probably not before I pick up a Sig.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
XD-9 1500+ flawless
XD-45 - 100 rounds (just picked it up 4 days ago) Flawless.

Everybody who has shot my XD's love them! Eats anything and everything that I have fed it without any issues.
Link Posted: 8/22/2007 4:37:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I use a Kel-Tec p-11 as my concealment piece, and I am not overwhelmingly confident with the firearm's reliability.

from the keltec's i've seen and shot, i kinda feel the same way...

In the past I owned a Glock 26 and was impressed with the reliability, but my markmanship with the G26 was not up to par. I attributed the poor markmanship to the small grip of the G26.

did you try a grip extension for a better, fuller grip on the G26?

if that was your 1st glock (begining w/. it), i'd attribute the poor shots to trigger
this might provide some insight that may have helped:
glockfaq.com/trigger.htm
lots of new glock shooters have these trigger problems...it just takes some time/practice to get past

I am in the market for a concealable 9mm and I am debating between the G19, or the Springfield XD Sub-Compact 3 inch barrel.

My questions to the forum members are:

What is your experiences with the XD series reliability?

Are there any Glock to Springfield XD converts, and what are your thoughts?

Could anyone provide links to reviews of the XD?

Any other thoughts that you feel would help in my decision would be appreciated.

Thank you.

of the 2, i'd get the G19

1st, mags, parts, accessories are everywhere and for cheap; 2nd, the G19 offers the right size (imo) thats small enough for CCW, yet big enough to handle well and for duty--bbl is not too short (4in) and capacity and grip is not too large/small

i had a XD9, bought it used, put a few hundred rnds though it, it was very reliable (just a couple FTFs, due to myself or mags)
at the same time, i'd been a long time glock fan
after about more than a yr, i traded my XD in for another glock (G21); my main points for getting rid of it:
-i had a bunch of glock stuff, no sense in investing in XD stuff (i did prefer the contour of the trigger and ergos)
-trigger reset on the XD is long and there are few upgrades for anything
-my biggest selling point: SA will NOT provide/sell any spare parts...this was a big turn down, esp since a buddy of mine's XD had to be sent back twice (once for a broken grip safety spring and re-finish; the next time for another, diff broken safety spring--both times, it cost $40 overnight UPS and 3-5 week wait...no way i'd do the same)
-next, after a couple thousand through his gun, my buddy's XD was showing numerous failures (FTFs, FTEs, etc)...worn parts is my guess; FWIW: i've heard of a few similar stories on the XD forums (not a lot, but a few)

i just went back to glocks and i havent looked back

lots of reviews on XDs on the board, and like many owners, i think that the XDs are a great firearm...its just that SA's parts policy imo, sucks (warranty is great though) and i didnt see the need for me to keep em

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had an XD40SC for almost two years now and have 8,500 rounds through it. Problems I've had:

1. Broken slide stop lever (~2000 rds maybe). It had a real weak spring from the factory and would occasionally lock open on a not-empty magazine. Finally the lever broke in half one day. Sent it to SA and had it back in a week or so. No cost to me. It came back with a MUCH stronger spring and the gun stopped locking open.

2. Cracked locking block (~8,000 rds). Not an uncommon issue. Sent it to SA and had it back 10 days later with a new locking block, new recoil spring, new slide lock lever spring (just for good measure) and a refinish on the slide (I asked for it, and they said yes). Now, it looks and shoots like a new gun.

Yes, the parts thing sucks, but the folks at SA have always been a pleasure to work with. As long as they keep fixing it, I'll keep trying to break it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Problems I've had:

2. Cracked locking block (~8,000 rds). Not an uncommon issue.

SA redesigned the locking blocks a while back.  No longer an issue.  I have the old style locking block, and haven't had any cracks appear.
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 11:41:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Well how can you tell if you have a new style? This is the first time I have ever heard of this.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 7:35:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Well how can you tell if you have a new style? This is the first time I have ever heard of this.

Look at the corners of the locking block.  This is where the cracks were forming.  SA started radiusing (rounding) the corners to break up the sharp angle.  This happened at least a year or so ago, I believe only on the .40 caliber models.  Take a look on XDTalk, you'll find pictures of what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
<snip>

The front sight fell off.

Say whaaaat? Your front sight fell off? Are you sure you don't have the XD confused with your glock?
The one thing everybody who has ever tried to change the sights on an XD by themselves says is......take it to a 'smith to do! XD's are notorious for having near-immobile sights that require significant force to even adjust, let alone remove.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#41]
I have both the XD Service and Sub-compact in 40S&W. Combined round count is in excess of 15,000. I have never had a single failure of any kind. I use both as carry pieces depending on the weather and have no reservations about trusting my life on them.

My service model (has about 10k through it) is just about in need of a recoil spring assembly, but still shoots flawlessly. I have fed both pistols everything under the sun and they just keeps going.

Accurate, Great Ergos, Reliable as hell.
Whats not to like?
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Bought a used XD-40 sub compact. It had around 500-1000 rounds from the orginal buyer. I have put 300 rounds down range with no problems. I was using the dreaded Wolfe also. Seems to function fine but I have not really given it a good workout yet, hence I do not trust it fully as I do my Glocks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 9:52:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the corners of the locking block.  This is where the cracks were forming.  SA started radiusing (rounding) the corners to break up the sharp angle.  This happened at least a year or so ago, I believe only on the .40 caliber models.  Take a look on XDTalk, you'll find pictures of what I'm talking about.

OK thanks. I have a 9mm and  .45s so I guess I am good to go. It certainly makes sense to radius sharp corners that take stress. I wonder why they did not do that in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#44]
mine are fine

some reviews here :

http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp?gun=Pistol&pp=1&sort=-3&ammoID=390&ammo=9mm&ammoD=9x19mm%2C+9mm+Para%2C+9mm+Luger%2C+9mm+NATO
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I have an XD40 in the 4" model.  Had it for what....3 or 4 years now...LOVE it.  I have never had a single jam.  Also VERY easy to pull apart and clean.  GREAT pistol.

+1 also I like the way the XD points. Feels more natural to me than my Glocks
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 4:40:13 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I prefer the XD-9 sub, the grip and feel , and clip release, too bad the barrel is so short, shoots strongest with 147gr or larger,has never jammed or misfired.Holdsters are hard to find for it ..

They are called magazines. If you try to use a clip in a magazine fed XD, it will jam!
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#47]
I had one malfunction in the first 300-350 rds. The slide did't lock forward. Honesly don't know what happened. When it didn't fire I just racked the slide back and kept shooting, didn't think about it looking at it. It has not malfunctioned since. I still have confidence in the pistol and shrugged it off as a bad round.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#48]
XD.45 service owner here with about 3000 rounds down the pipe, and not one problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 12:22:41 PM EDT
[#49]
XD9 Tactical, over 4000 rounds, never a hiccup.
I shoot with a few others that still  think mine is new. Never a problem with them.
If anyone can where out a gun - it's TGO Rob Leatham - he swears by them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
XD45 x 2. Unjammable. Even decroded crap ammo won't jam them.

+1! 0 Failures, EVER
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top