Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 11:34:55 PM EDT
I had to send my new XD40 back to Springfield because the gun jammed every mag(the slide failed to close all the way) and the accuracy was aweful! From a rest at 10 yards The best group I could get was 5 inches! My XD9 could get 1 inch so I knew it was not my shooting.  The repair order said they reamed the chamber, tuned the extractor and drifted the rear sight.

What exactly does "reamed the chamber" mean?

It took about 1 month to get the gun back.
I'll test her out on Wednesday. I sure hope they fixed it right the 1st time!I'll post back
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Headspace= On an auto pistol is the distance from the breach face to the front of the chamber. And it sounds like your pistol was originally too short in this dimension. So what they did was machine your chamber deeper into the barrel with a reamer. If they did a sloppy job they could have ruined the ability for that barrel to ever shoot well.

Here's something you could check. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop a loaded round into the chamber. Then point the barrel down so gravity is holding the round all the way in. The top of the round should be very very close to level with the split 'barrel hood'. The barrel hood is the part where the loaded indicator sticks in the split. The level of the top of the round in relation to the flats on the 'barrel hood' should be within the thickness of a sheet of paper. If they screwed up your barrel then the top of the round will be sitting too far into the barrel, like 3+ paper thichnesses.

Kevin
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Headspace= On an auto pistol is the distance from the breach face to the front of the chamber. And it sounds like your pistol was originally too short in this dimension. So what they did was machine your chamber deeper into the barrel with a reamer. If they did a sloppy job they could have ruined the ability for that barrel to ever shoot well.

Here's something you could check. Take the barrel out of the gun and drop a loaded round into the chamber. Then point the barrel down so gravity is holding the round all the way in. The top of the round should be very very close to level with the split 'barrel hood'. The barrel hood is the part where the loaded indicator sticks in the split. The level of the top of the round in relation to the flats on the 'barrel hood' should be within the thickness of a sheet of paper. If they screwed up your barrel then the top of the round will be sitting too far into the barrel, like 3+ paper thichnesses.

Kevin

I justed tested the barrel with a round and it is pretty level but it is a hair lower then the barrel hood where the loaded indicator would be. Might be about the thickness of a sheet of paper but very close either way....is this ok?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to mention that Springfield sent a test target to show that the accuracy was good now. The Test target was a 1 1/2 inch group at 25 yards but was only a 3 shot group. Why did they only shoot 3 rounds, I don't think that would be enough to test for consistancy before mailing it back to me. I would thik they would want to thourly test the gun before mailing it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like it's perfect now.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Off to the range to test her out! I'll post back!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Good news! It's 100% better! See my new topic and range report.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top