Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 3:58:43 AM EDT
the title says it all. I am looking at both and i really like both however the wife will only let me get one. so do i go for the ever so slightly slimmer yet simplistic 1911 or the hi cap xd in which i have no idea how to take apart or fix?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#1]
kinda depends on what you want it for.  Plinking I would say the 1911.  As for carry or a combat pistol, I would go with the XD because of the extra mag capacity.

Are you familar with the 1911?  You hinted to that in your post.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:34:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I got mine as a carry pistol.  What do you want to use it for?

Max
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
i wanted to get a 1911 and a 357sig xd but since the wife said only one i figured i could get the high cap with 45 with the 45 xd, it would be for both range shooting at carry. I have alot of experience with 1911's helped my friends with theres and used them in the army.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would go XD just because of the carry issue and the extra rounds that the xd offers.  However, it's your call and you should get the one that you are more comfortable with.  Either will be a good choise.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
XD cause it works out of the box.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#6]
im going to get the xd so now my next question is 4" or 5" and where can i get extra mags springfields site doesnt show them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
bump
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I think for the money that you are going to spend then you will be better served to get the XD. Just more and better bang for the buck.  You got 13 round cappacity and it is going to be more reliable.  
Getting a cheap good 1911 out of the box is hit or miss. I have had some good luck but know of others that have had the opposite. You feel lucky?

I had a XD 40 tactical with 2000 to 3000 plus rounds. During the whole time I had the 40 the trigger smoothed out and it seemed to get more accurate. I can only count maybe five times that the 40 gave me a problem and that was FTFs with old reloads when it was really really really dirty. It is an awsom pistol but I sold to get a XD 45. I got nothing against 40 but I'm a 45 kinda guy and did not see a need to have to spend extra on another caliber.  

Feild stripping only takes cocking it back and pressing a lever up and squeezing the trigger. Any thing you need to know is on the net or in the instructions. If you are machenicaly inclined enough to work on a 1911 or operate a can opener then a XD will present no problem.

The XD 45 fits my hand pretty well, its relaible, and simple. It is a functional pistol that will give me no doubt that it will go bang when I need it to do so. I got about 300 rounds through it and have not had any problem nor do I expect any. It is still not as accurate or has the trigger compared to my TRP.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
im going to get the xd so now my next question is 4" or 5" and where can i get extra mags springfields site doesnt show them.

I called SA and they do sell the mags and they run about $29 I think. If I were going to carry it I would get the 4" service then later when your wife is not looking sneak in a 5" 1911.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:17:33 AM EDT
[#10]
lol i dont think my wife would be too happy with that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top