Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 10:42:25 PM EDT
Ok after alot of thought and being a cheap scape i disided to make my own custom case..

What I got for this project...
Cheap Breif Case from a thrift store.. $2.95
Foam Pillow from Wallmart $5.00
Can of Spray Adheasive 3.95
1 yrd of fake Satin I only used half of this*your choice of fabric i sapose* 3.95

Tools i used..
a Hobby knife *the razor type that extend out from the handle*
a Cheap Sword... *wierd i know but it worked great for cutting the large foam peices out*
Some Tape Masking works fine...

now first i cut out the peice of pillow to fit into the base of the case..
After that i took out my XD *was wondering what this had to do with spring field ehh???* and traced the outline of it, as well as the mags and a box of ammo...

now in hind sight i wish i had just cut stright through to foam to make one large foam copy of whatever it is you are going to inlay.. then cut that peice in half then use the spray adheasive to put it back togather with the foam.. *would have been quicker too..* but instead i used that hobby knife to chip away at it like i was craving freakin david...

Heres a pic of about what it should look like at this point

now comes the fun part.. you have everything all fitting nicely.. you've taken your fabric and layed it in how you want it.. now after you have a good idea of how you are going to lay the fabric down in there.. take the foam outside(just the foam) *or whereever you want to take it* and spray the adheasive in JUST the pockets of the foam..
now take it back inside and work fast *the stuff i used got tacky in 5 minutes and was damn near set in 15* put your fabric back on the foam.. push the fabric into the corners of your pockets.. then set the item that the pocket was made for into it.. once you have everything tucked up and nice looking *with all the items in it* walk away for about an hour.

Hour Later

ok great pull everything out to make sure the fabric doesnt follow it.. and if it doesnt great.. you did you job right.. if it does.. spray a bit of adheasive in between the fabric and the foam *inside the pocket of course* tuck everything around the edges of the foam and tape it all in place.. then set it in your case and tuck it in..

heres what it should look like when your finneshed.

one of the cool things i noticed is i think the spray adheasive melted the foam a bit.. becuse when i came back and removed the XD from it, the take down lever and slide stop now had recesses in the fabric/foam...

I thought it looked pretty damn sppify when its done.. now all that case needs is a supressor and a passport and its all set...

I had fun doing this and only thought about posting a write up after i was done..

Good luck and have fun with your stealthy new case

Jess
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:34:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool dude. The ladies can use purple or pink.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
You pimp.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#3]
lmao i was waiting for the Pimp comment.. 'j00 f00 m3 n33d to k33p d0s h03s in LINE d3s da t00ls 0f da trad3'

aucually orginally i wanted to do a wood case like this for my 1911 when i got it cherryed but i ended up trading it for this XD
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend, I am truly inspired! I'm heading to the local fabric store tonight to get what I need. My only hope is to out-pimp you. Fake fur would be great but I don't want to be picking hairs out of the action.
Thanks much for the post.

Edited to add my new case...

An old aluminum instrument case, some scrap foam and clearanced fabric for $2.00 a yard:

Taking my Mark23 to the range will never be the same again.

Thanks again for the inspiration.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I still see room for a beer and a pack of smokes.

Then you got BATF in a brief case. Brief - Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks nicely done, but too comfortable.Reminds me of a coffin.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:01:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Good job guys. I have a trumpet case that I am going to convert.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:28:51 AM EDT
[#8]
hehe... It's turning into an addiction now. I find myself hawking garage sales for old viola and violin cases to convert.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats the sizzle yo.. nice job man.. i just got my Fobus mag pouch in and will be doing the backing fairly soon
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#10]
IT AINT EASY;

BEING CHEEZY !!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Below is a project I did a few years ago to carry my handguns when I traveled.  Worked great and did not draw any attention when checking into a hotel.  Another added feature is that it is not limited to 1 type of handgun.  The fit is so tight that the handguns do not move around when put on the ground or even dropped.

It's not as pretty as the 2 cases above, but it works great.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pbce19f021867594b60a656cb579869fb/efba60ca.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid202/pd4d36470a299a4a81c70b3cb88a7a753/efba60bf.jpg
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]
No worries, pretty isn't always a good thing.

Here's one for the "You never know what you got department"....

I really liked the way the case I made turned out so I decided to try for another. I pulled the old case I used up on my lap, read the name tag and plugged it into Google.

"Zero Centurion Elite"

I would have never realized that I was sitting on a case with a $200 replacement value. I've been watching Ebay but they just are not as clean as the one I used.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#13]
good job guys you inspired me im going to walmart tonight good idea

try to find some real thick foam
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Like Anarx found out, cut all the way through the foam. Pull out the plug, cut off what you need to set the inset where you want it, re-inserts and glue into place. The only thing I would impart is to make the cut out a full 1/4" on all sides. I was only adding an 1/8" and it was too snug after I glued in the fabric.

GL and post pics.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#15]
got the foam and the adhesive. walmart had no cool fabric or a brief case, i dropped by a cheapo store but still couldnt find a brief. ill try another on my way to work today. i amped.. i cant wait..
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Harbor Freight stores carry a few different aluminum tool cases with foam inside that you can personalize. Pretty inexpensive too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag cause I think this thread is going to be historically funny. You pimps are all going to try to out-do each other with cases.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Harbor Freight stores carry a few different aluminum tool cases with foam inside that you can personalize. Pretty inexpensive too.

Keep hawking Ebay as well. I've seen some nice Zero cases go for as little as $40. I know some of us are going inexpensive but "If you're gonna build a time machine, you might as well have style".

Quoted:
Tag cause I think this thread is going to be historically funny. You pimps are all going to try to out-do each other with cases.

My biggest worry is that I'm going to need to buy more guns to fill out the pimped cased with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top