Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 2:31:18 PM EDT
Once long ago, I had a pre-loaded model of the Springer Chamion...sold it to finance some other gun build and regretted the day.

I just picked up a new stainless loaded Champion and it rocks.  Makes a nice match w/ my Metalloyed 5" loaded...

Here's my question:

The old Champion had the standard barrel/bushing/recoil spring/guide/plug.  This new one had some god awful captured plastic thingy that you have to add a part to IOT dis-assemble.  What do I need to convert to a more traditional recoil assembly?

It has a bull barrel, so I'm thinking a reverse plug, new spring and guide.  Am I near right or out of my grape?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup, you need a reverse plug.  You can go with the Wilson kit for the Springfield Compact, but it comes with a full length guide rod.  Here's a link to Brownells:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=16391&title=COMPACT+1911+FULL-LENGTH+GUIDE+ROD+KIT

If you want a plug only, you can get an EGW plug.  They have the collar type that they will make to custom length upon request.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]
THX partner, do you know how long that two piece guide rod is?  My barrel mics out @ 3.9 inches, and Brownell's doesn't have the length of the guide rod listed.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
No, but it's made specifically for SA compacts, including that gun.  It does stick out a little though:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, but it's made specifically for SA compacts, including that gun.  It does stick out a little though:
img387.imageshack.us/img387/8526/gunpics254410js.jpg

What kind of "minor slide alterations" does that mean?  It says that in the item description on the site.

Full length rod replaces the short, factory spring plug and guide rod for increased spring support, better reliability and smoother functioning. Two-piece, hex head guide rod and one-piece recoil spring are fast and easy to install. Installation requires only slight modification to slide.
SPECS: Machined stainless steel guide rod/head and plug. Heavy duty recoil spring. Officers ACP Rod (Off): .326" (8.2mm) diameter. Springfield Compact Rod (SC): .326" (8.2mm) diameter.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
The rar of the recoil spring guide tunnel in the slide needs to be machined out.  I've seen guys do it witha file, but it rarely turns out well, unless the person is very good with a file, and it's a safe sided file.  If you have access to a mill, you machine about .300" off the back, if memory serves.  It might be less.  Regardless, the flange on the spring plug rests there.  Many smiths will charge only $35 or so for this modification.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The plastic spring retainer isn't as bad as it first seems, really.  Yeah, it means you need a "tool" to break down the weapon, but I just keep 'em in my gun tool-kit.  They make disassembly and reassembly a snap.  And if you read the manual that came with your gun, they specifically mention breaking down the weapon without the tool (I've tried it, it's not easy but it's doable.)  And really, how often have you had to field strip your weapon "in the field"?  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The plastic spring retainer isn't as bad as it first seems, really.  Yeah, it means you need a "tool" to break down the weapon, but I just keep 'em in my gun tool-kit.  They make disassembly and reassembly a snap.  And if you read the manual that came with your gun, they specifically mention breaking down the weapon without the tool (I've tried it, it's not easy but it's doable.)  And really, how often have you had to field strip your weapon "in the field"?  

+1  I couldn't agree more.   At first, I was thinking going the reverse plug route, but now I believe I will go with the way that Springfield designed the gun to be.   And, before someone says John M. Browning designed it differently, he didn't make the barrel 3.9" on his design.

Once you get used to dissassembly, it is very, simple.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The rar of the recoil spring guide tunnel in the slide needs to be machined out.  I've seen guys do it witha file, but it rarely turns out well, unless the person is very good with a file, and it's a safe sided file.  If you have access to a mill, you machine about .300" off the back, if memory serves.  It might be less.  Regardless, the flange on the spring plug rests there.  Many smiths will charge only $35 or so for this modification.  

Machine out almost a third of an inch? Maybe .003 or even .030, but .300? That would be an awful lot of work with a file!

Never, ever modify one of the most expensive parts of any firearm to make a non-essential mod! If you f**k it up YOU ARE SCREWED!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top