Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 7:25:00 PM EDT
I have yet to have any rust problems.  I dont ever keep the slide extra-clean, i fondle and carress it often, with no regard for rust.  it sits in my nightstand drawer every night, and it sat in my gunsafe for a year straight, all with no rust.
i think some people exagerate the rust because they hear that it is a problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine did rust when it wasnt wiped down after shooting one day. I put it in a foam case and 3 days later it was covered in surface rust. I have since had it coated at Macs shootin irons and never a problem. I even shot in the rain and did not have a chance to wipe it down until 2 days and not a spec of rust on it except for the grip safety since it had not been coated.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is 3 years old with thousands of rounds through it and zero rust.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine rusted all the time, nothing stopped it until it was recoated
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:58:09 AM EDT
[#5]
What are you guys doing to rust them? They are coated from the factory and with a little care and oil I can't see how they could rust. Ya know if you put them in the safe after they fall into salt water they will rust, you need to clean them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had mone for over a year (got it just after Christmas last year) and I've never oiled the outside of it. I have some of the finish worn off in a couple spots and it hasn't rusted yet.

I've been shooting when it's been snowing and raining out and just wiped the water off after I'm done shooting. No problems here.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

how much to re-coat?what type of coating was used.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I had two, no rust at all.  Bought a new 3rd and had it DuraCoated, just in case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much to re-coat?what type of coating was used.

Springfiled did it under warrenty, email them
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had an XD-40 for 2 years now...and I've never seen even a hint of rust on it.  I just keep it clean and oil it like every other gun I own.  Even if I don't clean it for a few days after I get back from the range, it still doesnt't rust.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top