Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 9:58:18 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a xd-40 sc and I was wondering how to people polish their feedramp.  I heard this would enhance feeding since I am having a few problems with that.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I polished the whole barrel and it turned out great.  Just put on a light grit sanding disk on a dremel to take off the coating and to make it smooth and shiny. Next, use polishing bobs to smooth and shine the barrel.  If you have different grit polishing compound start with the rough one first then switch bobs and go to a finer grit until you are down to the white compound.

I did 4 barrels so far and it takes about 20-30 per barrel.

Disregard what people say about it rusting if you polish it because it is not true.  Polishing seals the metal and will help make it impervious to rusting.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I just started polishing my whole barrel with dremel red compound, and mothers mag wheel polish....its working pretty good so far
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:22:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd advise caution unless you are very competent with what you intend to do. Polishing the feed ramp may not necessarily solve your problems.

I normally polish a feed ramp by starting with a (gray, rubberized) Kraton wheel, just to smooth the surface. Then, I follow up with patience, a felt wheel and jewellers (red) rouge to put the final finish on the highly polished surface.

Kraton is a good choice to remove any coatings from the barrel hood as it does a good job without risking the use of coarse abrasives and does not require lengthy finishing to smooth out the rough surface left by the abrasive wheels and discs. You can finish with jewellers rouge if it pleases you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
where would one find the kraton?  And is the jewlers rouge the same thing as the red dremel compound?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:35:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Cratex might be a little easier to find.
You could as Dremel for an MSDS sheet to see what is in stuff, but rouge is pretty cheap from MSC or any decent industrial supply house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top