Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 7:24:24 AM EDT
I recently acquired from GunBroker.com a Mil-spec 5" that was advertised "like new".  When I received the gun, I noticed that it has the vertical serrations and low-profile sights of a GI model.  Was there a time when the mil-spec did NOT have the slanted cocking serrations and 3-dot sights, or did I get screwed?  The serial number on the frame matches that on the label on the box, which says it's a mil-spec pistol.  I'm thinking the slide has been replaced.

Also, the lands in this barrel seem to have a significant amount of wear.  Is it possible to wear a barrel with 'less than 100 rounds fired'?  Seller says he fired cast lead rounds and that should explain the wear.  Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the ejection port lowered and flared? I think it is on the  Mil Specs, but not on the GIs. Compare the pictures on Sprinfields site.

As to the wear, is it possible what you are seeing is leading? If so, that can be removed.

You may get more specific answers from Springfield themselves, or hoprfully someone else here will add more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:27:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is the ejection port lowered and flared? I think it is on the  Mil Specs, but not on the GIs. Compare the pictures on Sprinfields site.

As to the wear, is it possible what you are seeing is leading? If so, that can be removed.

You may get more specific answers from Springfield themselves, or hoprfully someone else here will add more.

The ejection port is not lowered or flared.  The hand-etched number on the bottom of the slide matches the  last 3 of the serial on the frame (it's hand etched, so that doesn't mean much, I realize), and the serial on the frame matches the label on the box which indicates it's a Mil-spec.

The bore is clean and smooth, the lands just seem to be very worn down.

ETA, the mag-well isn't beveled either, and the serial number starts with WW, if that helps any.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd suggest you phone Springfield's customer service for clarification. From the serial number, they can tell you when the gun was manufactured (just did that for my new Micro Compact, which was new old stock, from 2002). They can probably tell you also if the specs have changed, It does sound like someone may have switched the slide and/or barrel on this one though
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'd suggest you phone Springfield's customer service for clarification. From the serial number, they can tell you when the gun was manufactured (just did that for my new Micro Compact, which was new old stock, from 2002). They can probably tell you also if the specs have changed, It does sound like someone may have switched the slide and/or barrel on this one though

+1..I called them and they told me over the phone in about 3 minutes, the history of my Springer..
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:14:14 AM EDT
[#5]
It's interesting, I looked through a bunch of other ads on gunbroker for GI models, and for  those that have pictures of the labeling on the box, they all indicated  ".45 GI MILSPEC PARK PISTOL".  This is very confusing because the GI and the Milspec are two different guns.  I had to eat some crow on this one and correct my feedback for the user because Springfield is a little ambiguous in their labeling, which the seller merely echoed.  Thanks guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top