Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2005 2:39:35 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a pro but a little hesitant due to the cost
is it that much nicer than a TRP? Are they worth the money?
Are they  finicky about ammo? Anything sub standard at all?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).
The Professional pistol is a full custom pistol which begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails, cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

The TRP pistol is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with more hand fitting than a standard factory pistol, as well as a 2 piece mag well, night sights, and better tuning internally. It has a quoted accuracy of 2.5" or better at 25 yards with match ammunition. It has the front cocking serrations and full length guide rod, just like the other factory "loaded" models. These pistols are finished with Springfield's Armory Kote finish, which is a painted on, baked on finish similar to the Black T finish.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator
Springfield Inc.
420 West Main St.
Geneseo, IL 61254
(800) 680-6866
[email protected]

I'd say it's more than worth the price.  I'm actually considering trading my TRP in for a Pro Light Rail.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#2]
YA know what, I have had my TRP for a little over 2 weeks now. I've been reading about the Professional, and thought maybe I'll save up over a couple of years, and maybe get that next. BUt, I have been out to the range 3 times w/ my TRP. I have also fired all of my other guns over the various 3 trips.

I do pretty well at the range, but I will never be good enough to win a contest, I believe. Anyway, after the last trip, I have decided that the TRP is good enough. Is a theoritical extra inch in a group really worth another $1000 over the TRP?

I may get other 1911s (I kinda want a Kimber Warrior next), but I do not see me buying another gun that is as expensive or costs more than my TRP. I know people who have the professional love it. I mean, I suppose I would to. BUt being I am not a lottery winner, I just don't see that it is worth that much extra money.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've recently aquired a PRO and while the TRP is very nice the PRO is More.

Kinda like comparing a Z28 Camero to a Corvette.

Yeah, I'd buy a PRO at 1049 too
Bastard.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:00:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Does having one on order count?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is the Pro model comparable to a Rock River Tactical model?  They seem to be about the same price and are both hand-made.  Might be another option for you if they're just about the same.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but is the Pro model comparable to a Rock River Tactical model?  They seem to be about the same price and are both hand-made.  Might be another option for you if they're just about the same.  MJD

Based on what I've read and been told the two would be equals. The only thing that holds the RRA Tactical back in my opinion is the rail. It seems to be lower and many experts think this is going to cause holster compatibility issues. I would also add that while the wait for a new Pro is around one year now days, it is at least available. The RRA Tactical is at least a year away and this is being kind. I have been told RRA is not even making the frames yet. They just have a few prototypes floating around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top