Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 12:40:25 AM EDT
I was at the range with my XD 9, about half way through a mag it failed to eject.  The spen case was in the chambe, it was never pulled out.  I droped the mag and pushed it out with a pen, the shot the rest of the mag.  Has this happened to anyone else?
thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:09:04 AM EDT
[#1]
What ammo?   I've heard of issues with WWB 9mm not being too reliable in many pistols.    Maybe time for a new recoil spring?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What ammo?   I've heard of issues with WWB 9mm not being too reliable in many pistols.    Maybe time for a new recoil spring?

Ammo was WWB 9mm, I have about 500 rnds in value packs, and as far as a recoil spring their is only about 1200 rnds through it.
Icon
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was at the range with my XD 9, about half way through a mag it failed to eject.  The spen case was in the chambe, it was never pulled out.  I droped the mag and pushed it out with a pen, the shot the rest of the mag.  Has this happened to anyone else?
thanks
Icon

Take a good look at the extractor .1200 round it's just getting broke in did you look at the rim on the case you pushed out with the pen?
Maybe just a bad brass.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Failure to Extract is a VERY common problem with XDs and WWB ammo. Just go over to HS2000talk.com if you don't believe me. Fortunately it has an easy solution. DON'T use WWB.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I have always trusted WWB, what ammo should I switch to?
thanks
Icon
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:25:44 AM EDT
[#6]
IMO American Eagle is the best range ammo. But I have also had good luck with Independence and Blazer. If you compare the rim depth of the American Eagle side by side with the WWB you will notice the WWB rim is noticeably thinner. Therefore there is less for the extractor to grab. When I avoid the thin rimmed cases like WWB and S&B I get 100% reliability.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:40:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang that sucks! My XD has about 2,000 WWB rounds through it with no problems. That does not mean it will not have a failuer though. I hope it stays 100%.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If it was me I'd change my extractor before switching from WWB, cause my two XD9s love it, even in USPSA competition.  

and besides, think of all the nice people that you'l miss at Wal-Mart.

Too bad you can't buy an extractor though.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
To address the extractor issue SA has put two different extractors in the XD-9. An "old style" and a "new style". If I had an old style I would definitely replace it, but I have found that the new style extractors will still occasionally experience FTE with WWB ammo. FWIW I have owned five XDs and have put thousands of rounds through them. As has been mentioned though, SA no longer sells parts. Fortunately I got spares before SA instituted this policy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:13:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've shot a boat load of thw WWB from Wally World.  Haven't had any problems yet.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#12]
wow, I've never had that issue.  I'm somwhere between 7-10000 rounds on mine, only shows the usual exterior wear (less so than others cause I use a cqc serpa), but rock solid still.  worst thing that's happened is that I forgot to sell one of my 10 rounders and still have that gimp!

ETA: I use American Eagle FMJ and CCI FMJ and Winnie SXT's exclusively.  about 84 of each on each range trip.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Failure to Extract is a VERY common problem with XDs and WWB ammo. Just go over to HS2000talk.com if you don't believe me. Fortunately it has an easy solution. DON'T use WWB.

What !!!!

I have ONLY run WWB and CCI BLAZER through my XD WITHOUT a single fte

that doesn't mean that wwb if foolproof but  i sure wouldn't stop using it

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
could it have been an over pressured load?  What does the case look like?

I have never had problems with wwb and used to shoot alot of it in the 40,  although i dont now
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:34:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Tactical and the Subcompact 9s and they are both very reliable weapons. Is your XD cleaned after each range session? If so I'm sorry for mentioning it but alot of problems can be related to a dirty firearm. I know alot of folks that just don't do a good job of maintaining their guns and then wonder why they have problems with them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top