Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 3:38:25 AM EDT
I'm looking to purchase my first 1911 and am dead set on a Springfield.  For those of you that know, can I get a fullsize loaded model, or even a Mill spec, to look and shoot like a Pro model with just drop-in parts?  For example, the mag well on the Pro, is that an addition to the frame or is it part of the frame?  Also, can the sights be replaced on the Mill Spec for Novaks?  I've owned a lot of glocks, sigs and HK's and would really like to get into my own build of a Real Steal .45.  Any feedback is appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a 1911 that looks and shoots like a Pro, you'd save a lot of time and headache if you just bought one to begin with.  It would also probably be cheaper to go this route instead of upgrading a Mil-Spec to Professional.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
TRP might be to your liking, its quite similar and half the price...  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:18:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
TRP might be to your liking, its quite similar and half the price...  

I love my TRP, but it's no substitute for a Professional.  Kinda like having to buy a Camaro because you can't afford a Corvette.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the replies guys.  i'm more in the market for a 1911 that i can upgrade myself with "drop-in" parts.  i'm not wanting to compete with it, nor do i carry for a living.  i'm just trying to get familiar with the 1911.  for the price, the mil spec looks like the right way to go, but if i want to upgrade sights, trigger, etc., what kind of things am i going to run into that will keep me from upgrading without having to ship it out to a smith to do a $100.00 job?  thanks again for replies.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Tools and experience.  You'll gain both along the way.

I think your doing the right thing if you want to learn about the 1911.

The springfield milspec is a great starting platform.

There is no true drop in parts for the 1911.  
Most parts do drop in fine but with a little fitting they function so much better.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#6]
A Pro is a hand-built gun with the best of everything, which is why MSRP is over $2k.  You might be able to buy/build a pistol that looks like it for around the cost of a loaded, but not one that will perform like it, especially long-term.

The S&A mag well is "blended', which means they match the magwell to the gun.  It is very easy to botch this job.  

To put Novaks on a MilSpec you will have to have the slide machined for the Novak cuts.  A loaded has Novaks.

Buy a loaded and call it good.

Drop in parts are not, they still require minor fitting that takes skill, knowledge, and tools.  All of which cost $$$.

Without the S, K, and T, you will have ruined parts and perhaps a ruined gun, which will cost far more to repair/replace than the difference between a milspec and a loaded.

Or, buy a MilSpec and save for sending to Yost-Bonitz or someone else for a package upgrade.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is/was a Mil-Spec. First pistol I ever owned. I did all the work myself with a stone a Dremel and a couple of files.
I have a nick here or there but not so bad, this gun is for shooting not display.
All of the accessories are "drop-in" and nearly all of the stuff is from Wilson Combat, the grips are Pachmyer and I love em :-)
The Ed Brown thumb safety is the only one that really needed any fitting. I severely bobbed the WC beavertail cause I prefered it that way.
http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/2558/milspec2xl.jpg

With the PSI low profile adjustable sight that uses the original front sight, I put it on three or four days ago, it goes right in where the stock sight was, no Novack cut needed for this one.
http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/6594/milspecsight029vv.jpg
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds linke the TRp or the Loaded is what you're really after. I love my Parked Loaded model, and it protects me every single day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
With the PSI low profile adjustable sight that uses the original front sight, I put it on three or four days ago, it goes right in where the stock sight was, no Novack cut needed for this one.

Boomka, what PSI low profile did you use? The Colt Gov. model or the Series 70, 80, 90 one? This seems like a question I should know but........
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The "TPU 88 and earlier" version, got it here. Good price, quick service.
www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/psi
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#11]
The money you're going to dump into getting a Mil-Spec up to Pro levels is quite high.  You'd be better off getting a loaded model and working that up to the Pro level.  No machining necessary for Novaks and already has the beavertail, and the ambi safety and all that good stuff.  To save yourself a lot of time and money, save for the Pro model, or better yet, buy a Rock River.  Of course, with all handguns, it's the singer, not the song.  Buy a cheaper 1911, shoot the living hell out of it to improve your skills.  Then the Pro model will actually do you some good.  A 1911 newb with a $2000 pistol will still not shoot as good as an expert with a $500 pistol.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The "TPU 88 and earlier" version, got it here. Good price, quick service.
www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/psi

Thanks Boomka, I do believe I'm going to have to pick that up.

Sorry for the quasi thread hijack!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#13]

The money you're going to dump into getting a Mil-Spec up to Pro levels is quite high

Maybee, but if you're on a budget like me you can build it a little at a time, learn some home gunsmithing, and do lots of shooting while your learning ( ok I dont have time to shoot but .....lol )
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
learning how the 1911 works and doing some fitting work is where i'm at.  i'm leaning tward the Park'd Loaded model.  Can i get a tritium dot in my front blade from the factory?  What holsters do ya'll carry these in?  For the truck, not on my person.   also, can i get a light rail added on?
thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top