Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 2:15:32 PM EDT
Is the allen screw on the trigger to adjust the lbs? If so Which way is less and which is more lbs. I have the Springfield operator, the specs say its 4.5 to 6 lb. trigger pull Id like it set to 4.5. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Its not to adjust the trigger pull.  It is to adjust the overtravel of the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, adjusting out too much overtravel in a 1911 is a very bad thing.  In a Colt Series 80 or Para, it can cause failure to fire or erratic firing pin hits.  In a non series 80 gun, the hooks will run the sear, and in the worst cases, it will shear the half cock off of a hammer with a captive half cock notch, usually locking the hammer half down, making it impossible to open the slide.

The specs say that because they come from the factory with that range of weights.  If you want it lower, take it to a smith and get a trigger job.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Ill do that, could you tell me if I tighten the screw am I giving it more over travel or taking over travel out of the trigger?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]
less overtravel the more your screw in the screw. If you screw it in to much you will not be able to fire the pistols as the sear will not be pushed out of the way.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Since it sounds like you just had to mess around with the setscrew, here is how to reset it correctly.

Screw the setscrew in until pulling the trigger will not release the hammer ( remember to ride the hammer back down with your thumb).  Once the hammer releases with the trigger, continue to ride the hammer down while fully pulling back on the trigger.  The FCG sear will release the hammer from the primary sear, but the FCG sear will catch on the safety secondary sear of the hammer.  Again every so slowly loosen the set screw a little more until the hammer can be lowered down past both sears on the hammer with the trigger fully pulled back.

Once you have the trigger set to cam the FCG sear back to just miss the second safety sear on the hammer, turn the set screw 1/2 more turn out (counter clock wise).  Now put a drop of blue loctite on the setscrew and leave it alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top