Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 2:03:53 AM EDT
How is the inherent accuracy of the GI .45 pistols?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My GI. 45 will kill a commy soda can at 45 paces easy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine is dead on as well. It shoots as good if not better than my more expensive 1911. The G.I. is a fantastic deal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Would it be accurate enough for 50 yard plinking, or would I need a match barrel?

Who makes a good match barrel?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot at targets at 50, but i suck at shooting so i can't really help you to much.  I can hit the target everytime, is that what you wanna know?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to buy it and a match barrel I would buy it and shoot it then see if you still want a barrel. I would say yes it would do OK for a semi auto pistol that is not a tartget grade pistol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Good info.

That's some good advice, GenghisKhan.  I'll do just that when I get my GI.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as match barrels go, it's not just the barrel, of which there are many manufacturers that make good ones.  More importantly, it's how they are fit.  If you get a "match" grade barrel that is drop in, chances are it won't shoot any better than the Springfield 2 piece barrel found in most Springers.  A true match fit barrel is one that starts off oversized in several areas and will not even go in to the slide, let alone the gun, without fitting.  The gunsmith fits several key areas to reduce the slop involved with a drop in barrel.  Fit is where almost all the accuracy comes from.  

The average 1911 without a match fit barrel is probably in the neighborhood of a 3" gun @ 25 yards for 6 shots rested.  Some are significantly better, some worse.  The average 1911 with a match fit, match grade barrel, is probably about a 1.5" gun on average when fit properly.  What does this mean in a self defense scenario?  Not much.  It means something to a competitive shooter, but not much to an decent shooter who looks at the gun as a tool.  This level of accuracy will cost around $300 - $400 on average between the cost of the barrel and the gunsmithing.

In answer to your question about who makes a good barrel, Bar-Sto, Kart, Nowlin, Clark, Jarvis, KKM, Schuemann, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Storm Lake, Briley, and Les Baer all make good barrels.  Out of the above names, some are not actually made by that company (for instance, Nowlin and Kart make barrels for others).  Most gunwriters prefer Bar-Sto, most smiths are split between Bar-Sto and Kart.  You cannot go wrong with ANY of these, so pick the barrel based on price, or material if you want/need stainless.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I would add that before you buy a barrel try a tighter bushing. Usually accuracy problems are from a loose fit between the barrel, bushing and slide.
Check the play, especially at the rear of the barrel. Push down through the ejection port and see if the barrel moves. Then check for play at the front of the barrel.
If there is any slack that will cause poor groups.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Minute of human head at 25 yards while standing is quite doable (although I personally suck, so I have to really work at it). That's good enough for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Minute of human head at 25 yards while standing is quite doable (although I personally suck, so I have to really work at it). That's good enough for me.

I shoot falling plates at 25 yards. If I can hit an 8" plate dead center quickly- 6 plates in 6 seconds, it's accurate enough.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
something you may want to keep in mind about the G.I. model are the sights- they are "low profile military" as opposed to the 3 dot combat that come on most handguns. i don't have a problem with them personally but my buddy tries to blame them every time we go to the range and i out shoot him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:24:03 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a 9" group from a sand bag at 100yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top