Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 9:43:38 PM EDT
Is the front sight on a GI 1911 staked on? Just trying to decide on a new "project" base gun.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Jack.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW it uses a medium stake. Not a narrow or wide, so finding a front sight is pretty hard. Springfield has them though, I am sure you can order just the sights or they will put them on for you. I eventually will just send mind to Novak to have it dovetailed and have his night sights installed.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:33:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Rat I wasn't even thinking about the tennon, good to know.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I found some front sights at brownells that were medium. I think they were millets.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I found some front sights at brownells that were medium. I think they were millets.

Cool I'll check em out. Novak wants quite a bit, which I know is worth every penny, but I would be happy just 3 dot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have another slide getting cut for dovetail front and back right now (Novak style).   If you do use a stake in front sight, you really need the tool to install it properly (or at least that is what I have found).
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Millett only makes a wide and narrow tenon, just for info.  The ones GK are most probably referring to are the King's, which are the only ones Brownells had for Springfields in the last ten years or so.  They just stopped carrying those, as they have with most of King's products.  If you're having a smith do them, make sure they do enough 1911s to know the differences between sights.  When I do Springfields, I order a wide tenon and mill it down to correct size.  

Colt wide tenon = .125"
Springfield medium tenon = .082"
Colt narrow tenon = .058"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Hobbs, I am in no way a fan of a stake on front sight, and I would not even attempt it, however I was wanting to go with a Millett if I could not get a dovetail. I was thinking of using a GI as a base gun, but I may go with a loaded just for that reason.  I was wanting to build an "Old School" Det-1 1911.  Gees I don't know what I'll do. Sold all of my 1911's but three and now "they keep pulling me back in"
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I guess they are not millets.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7637&title=FIXED+1911+HARDBALL+SIGHTS
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack your thread, but I have ask.

How much does it usually cost to get your GI slide dovetailed for a front sight?

And what is the size of the rear dovetail on the GI?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to hijack your thread, but I have ask.

How much does it usually cost to get your GI slide dovetailed for a front sight?

And what is the size of the rear dovetail on the GI?

When you get a front DT cut, whether for the standard Novak cut or Heinie cut, you have bare metal left afterwards.  Also, after having cut, even if machined perfect, the sight might, and most probably will, need some filing to be a good match, as the size varies a bit from sight to sight.  At the very least, you will need to deburr the edges of the sight usually.

With that in mind, some smiths will cut the dovetail and let you install your own front sight, and others will not, knowing that a person with little to no experience is likely to botch the sight and possible the dovetail cut itself.  Some smiths feel that letting a customer do this can be a bad business practice.  Also, some smiths will cut the dovetail and cold blue, while some will refuse to cut it without refinishing the slide.  It just depends on the smith.

A simple front dovetail cut usually runs around $40 - $60.  I've seen them as low as $25, and as high as $85.  That's without any refinishing, other than cold blue.  That's also without fitting your front sight, though there are plenty of places that will cut and install your front sight with cold blue for $40 - $60.  

Now, as for the rear dovetail, I've never seen anyone talk about the dovetail size.  Pretty much all quality 1911 slides have a standard GI rear sight cut.  The exception would be an aftermarket slide with no cuts, but people who buy those usually leave them bald or get a rear cut for Novaks, Heinies, or Bo-Mars.  If you're just looking for replacement sights, Colt, Springfield, etc. are all the same rear cut.  

The actual nominal specs for the rear cut are: .344" wide by .814" deep by 65 degrees.

BTW GenghisKahn, thanks for posting that link.  I noticed that Brownells did not have those sights anymore in their current catalog, and with them all but dropping King's products, it's good to know I can still get those medium tenon sights for the few people that ask me for them.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I know I will get flamed or laughed at for this but at least for target shooting at 25yrds I prefer my US GI sights over the Novak Night sights on my other 1911 because the front blade to me is to fat on my nightsights. However I understand if someone is in my hallway it will not matter and the night sights are better.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:12:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent info!  Thanks, hobbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top