Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 3:17:14 AM EDT
anyone have an opinion on the PW9701L  Hi-cap model? I heard it uses Para Ordinance mags? Give me some info and opinions please!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#1]
i HAVE THE PREVIOUS HIGH CAP MODEL. Where they used  a bevertail gripsaftey and a different hammer.

It does use para mags.

at 5,000 rounds of assorteted ball ammo (230 CCI, American Egale, rem, win) I cracked the frame in the thumb saftey area.

Pistol frame was replaced  under warrenty. Pistol is way more accurate the orginal frame.

first frame was brazil, second frame was canada.  

Sights suck for compention (ipsc).  and the trigger needs some work.

Any other questions?

rebuilt pistol only has 400 rounds on it so cant really say if it will crack at the  5k mark
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the previous model too and have shot it in IPSC for two years. After about a year the slide started binding so I sent it in under warranty. They had it back on my doorstep within five days.
No problems since. It's got over 20000 rounds through it. I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#3]
update, 500 to 600 rounds on new frame and it cracked as well. Same location as my org frame. I do not think this gun can take 230 FMJ American Eagle ammo as a steady diet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I just had some failure to feed malfs with mine.  (2) I was wondering when that was going to happen as i had not cleaned it in over 1100 rounds. I just had to see how long it would take. I gave it a QUICK cleaning at the range and put another 200 through it with no problems. as long as you clean it once in a while it will work to perfection. also i had it lubed with grease when it made it to 1100+ rounds and now am going to use CLP or gunbutter on it. My double stack is my favorite handgun by far. I was using up the last of my Unique with is filthy powder for the 1100 rounds. now its Titegroup for my .45 and i love it. My double stack uses Mecgar P-14 mags and they are outstanding mags. My double stack is accurate, very comfortable to shoot and is utterly reliable. I am going to buy another one and trick it out a bit. Buy one you will love it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My double stack uses Mecgar P-14 mags and they are outstanding mags.

I was wondering about those. The springfield mags at cdnn kinda suck. I'll give the mecgars a try
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm, it's from Canada, it screams "I'm cast", and uses Para mags. I wonder who's making them for SA? I wonder if they use Para internal parts through out the whole pistol. Does anyone know if the slides are forged SA, or cast Para?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:24:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hmmm, it's from Canada, it screams "I'm cast", and uses Para mags. I wonder who's making them for SA? I wonder if they use Para internal parts through out the whole pistol. Does anyone know if the slides are forged SA, or cast Para?

The frames are most definitely not made by Para, nor are the slides, nor are the internals.  

Gregory_K may have gotten a Para frame as a replacement from SA, and if so, I would be screaming at them were I in his shoes.  The SA hi-cap frame is a forged frame made by IMBEL, as is the slide.  Though Paras are good quality guns most of the time, they are not made to the same level as the SA hi-cap, in my opinion.  Now, most of the internals are the same MIM parts as in their single stacks.  The exceptions would be of course the parts that are exclusive to this gun due to being a hi-cap.  Those are MIM also.  I've owned 3 hi-caps now, and all functioned great with Para mags.  The SA mags suck, and everyone I've ever seen had different springs in them.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield uses a Ca Company to cast there M1A recivers. They proberlly use this CA company for other work as well. I am assuming it was Canda as the first frame was Braizl the second was stamped with a CA on it .

It was not a para frame.

I will not see a 3rd frame crack. I dont reload so I am stuck using full power 230 grain factory ammo. I know both frames could not use a tungsten guide rod. Each time I tired one on the 4th shot after install it would send half tyhe guide rod down range.

Company that makes M1a
Alphacasting in St. Laurent, Quebec, Canada
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Any chance you could post a pic of the new frame for us?  I'm not doubting anything you're saying, but I'm pretty familiar with all the companies making hi-cap 1911 frames, and I only know of one in Canada.  I would love to see it just for educational purposes.  If not no biggie.  I'm just curious as to whether or not it looks the same as the original IMBEL frame, and what the markings are.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:57:46 AM EDT
[#10]
no pics, pistol is at springfield getting fixed. Only difference in the frames the I saw was there was no made in brazil on the lower dust cover.  They guy (Terry)  I spoke with knew where the crack was without me telling him.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#11]
How much wider is the grip?  Is it uncomfterble to shoot?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
it is about twice as thick. I have big hands so I have no problems.  Small hands might pose a problem for dumping the mag and the trigger, but you can fix those problems with aftermarket mag paddles and a short trigger.

This is the good thing about a 1911 style pistol about 100% can be customized.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much wider is the grip?  Is it uncomfterble to shoot?

Maesured with a caliper, mine was the same width as a standard Colt 1991 with factory wood grips.  It definitely has a wider front strap and the circumfrence is bigger.  I have medium hands, and it was a hair too big in circumfrence to stay put during rapid shooting.  However, I don't have that problem with a Para, which is just slightly smaller in circumfrence than the SA Hi-Cap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top