Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 6:39:33 AM EDT
I recently acquired a Springfield LW full size.  It was an impulse buy but hey I have SA 1911s and have always been a fan of their 1911s and their customer service.  The new LW is the model that has the duct tape grey slide made of stainless steel and the alloy frame finished in a nice satin black.  I was going to just use this weapon as an occasional carry gun and maybe for range fun.  I carried it the first week I had it and noticed a few things that did not please me very much.

First off, I know what stain less means and know it is not impervious to rust.  That is why I normally keep a light coat on all exposed surfaces and the internal ones of CLP.  That includes the stain less slide.  The area around the Novak sights in the rear rusted on both sides were the sights were pushed in.  Great.  The cocking serrations on all sides and the flat part of the grooves rusted.  Wonderful.  

The frame on the left side is rubbing down, not just taking the Wal Mart quality black spray paint finish off, but the alloy frame is rubbing off.  I guessed it is out of spec.  On the right side of the slide were the slide and frame meet when the slide is to the rear the frame is rubbing spots on the slide.  The black finish on the frame will come off if your sneeze on it.

Now, just to keep this into perspective, I have had this weapon in my possession for about 2 weeks but have owned it now since the middle of June.  It was only fired about 500 times (no problems with the Wilson mags, the SA mags did not like HP ammo) and carried for like a week.  All the problems I encountered surfaced within the second week.  

SA took about a little over a week after the package was received by there shipping department to hit the books and showed it was received on the 8th of this month.  I sent in a letter explaining that I was a Deputy Sheriff and had planned on possible using this for a carry weapon (which had crossed my mind due to the light weight) and needed it back ASAP.  That was what the LE rep from SA told me to do to the letter.

They took the time to call me back and told me that it would be 4 to 6 weeks before I would see the weapon back.  I told them that a refund for the full price I paid would be in order.  They then told me that it would be done this week and asked me to call back today and check the status.  They asked me to call back.  I just got off the phone with them and they told me that they would be able to tell me something within 24 hours on the status of the repairs!  OMG

Has anyone else seen a sudden decline in the customer service of SA or am I just getting a little worked up because I purchased a $650 gun that had to be shipped back to SA after 2 weeks because it is rusted and was out of spec.  And the fact that I shipped it mid to late Jun and they are just now getting to it.  Help me our here.  If you guys or gals think I am overreacting I will be more patient, if not I will call back and ruffle some feathers.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Something seems really out of wack here it took one month start to finish with shipping for a recoat on my 4" xd you need to email [email protected] is by far the best rep. they have.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't jump down their throat too much as you don't know what sort of problems they may be having. Guys on vacation, big backlog, etc. etc. all add up to delays & are sometimes beyond their control.

They couple of times I have needed help, SA was quick & helpful on their end. No mfgr is perfect, it may simply be your turn on the turd bucket thru no fault of your own or theirs?

My .o2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top