Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2005 6:35:07 PM EDT
Does the guide rod make it more reliable any performance difference????  Is their a risk of severly screwing up bluing or is it cut-and-dry???
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
1911 Guide Rod Question = HOLY WAR!!!!

My opinion is they neither help nor hurt when talking about single piece
full length guide rods VS plugs.

The 2 piece guide rods are pieces of shit that should be illegal to sell.

Throw them away and at least get a single piece.  The risk of that thing coming
unscrewed and jamming the works is too much.

In my carry 1911, a Dan Wesson Razorback, I have an Ed Brown Full Length guide rod and
I'm very happy with that.

Also FYI, toss out those stupid rubber "frame savers" or "shok buffs"; One more thing
to jam up the works.

I'm sure the posters behind me will tell you to do exactly the opposite.

You have opened the Pandoras Box of 1911 voodoo!!!!!!!  Run!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No shitstorm thus far!!!  Who is the person to seek out about all things 1911.  In other words who is consistantly facts and experienced based on the 1911.    
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No shitstorm thus far!!!  Who is the person to seek out about all things 1911.  In other words who is consistantly facts and experienced based on the 1911.    

None of us agree on anything, you're on your own

I personally trust Ed Brown, Ted Yost if you don't disagree with him and he decides to talk to you like you are the anti-Christ.

1911 is mostly Voodoo.  There is a large segment that believe that if JMB didn't do it , then it probably doesn't need to be done.  They may have a point, but I think if JMB knew what we know now he might have done a few things differently. That's blasphemy I know......
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
JMB= John Moses Browning??  Correct?  I think he would have been savy enough to take advantage of new techs though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There is no danger in bluing, just a danger in getting a poor quality job.  Ask to see some of there work before handing over any of your equipment.  Or talk to someone who has had good experience with a company.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is no danger in bluing, just a danger in getting a poor quality job.  Ask to see some of there work before handing over any of your equipment.  Or talk to someone who has had good experience with a company.

I was thinking of doing it myself.  Bad idea???
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:05:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Guide rods don't do anything to aid in funtion. They do however add a some extra weight. Some people like them, some don't. It's all personal preferance.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Full length guide rods only make it harder to disassemble, no benefit.   None of my 1911s have them and none ever will.  I used to run a Wilson full length but found no point and it made the gun harder to take apart and one other unsafe practice I have I couldnt do with it installed.  If you like extra weight forward I suppose a *tiny* amount of weight will be added.    Shock buffers are great if you use them to plink with and remove them for carry/defensive use.  

Bluing, find a reputable guy to do it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one with the plug and one with a two piece and I tell you what the two piece is a pain in the neck in assembly. If I got a new one I would get a plug type. I have not seen any acccuracy diference in either they are both accurate in my pistols.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#10]
got 2 pistols that came with FLGRs.  I now have 2 pistols without FLGRs.  About the only thing the do is insure that you need tools to field strip your weapon.    
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I fired my Kimber with the FLGR in and out from a ransom rest and didn't notice any accuracy change.  The only thing I noticed is that the groups were tighter from the rest than when I shoot it.

They say the FLGR keeps the recoil spring from binding in the dust cover.  I've never heard of this happening and it's usually a question I ask any 1911 guru.

Extra weight is nice, sometimes.

Dis/reassembly is more difficult with a FLGR, but only slightly.

Guide rods existed in other pistol designs when JMB created the 1911.  He might have added it if the military had not wanted a weapon that could be field stripped by hand w/o tools.  That's why I took mine out.

Do whatever you wish.  It's your 1911.  FLGR's don't help or hurt function.  All we can do is give our opinions.

I agree that you should have a noteworthy gunsmith take care of your reblueing.  I reblued a rifle barrel once.  I'd never reblued anything before and it didn't look bad.  You only learn by trying.  I just touched it up a bit.  If it's a complete refinish, take it to a smithy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got 2 1911's with usgi rod/plug setups, and yes, I have one with a 2-piece full-length rod - but only because I wanted a tungsten rod to put some weight in front of my plinking gun, and a 2-piece was the only way to get it.

To be honest, while I will never be a fan of full-length rods, especially the 2-piece types, I can honestly say that the one mentioned above has yet to come loose, and it gets shot a lot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Replaced my FLGR with a Brown GI unit and my 1911 shoots 1.5 inches at 25yards. I am thoroughtly satisfied with the swap and if someone says I should have left the FLGR in to squeezed more accuracy out of the gun I'll punch them in the mouth J/K!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top