Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2014 12:06:50 PM EDT
I have been carrying a 9mm XDsc for quite some time.   I am thinking about changing to an XDs, either 9mm or 45.  I like the fact of a single stack for a CCW pistol.  I have to sell the XD to help fund the new perchase.  I need some ideas on what to price the XD at.  

I have 2 ten round mags with pearce finger extensions, a 15 and 16 round magazine with X-tensions, and the XD gear holster and mag carrier.  I have fired approximately 500 rounds through it and it has functioned perfectly.  It does show some holster wear.

Any ideas on what I should ask for a price on this?  I'm thinking about taking it to the gun show next weekend to sell or maybe trade.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 7:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
While the XDS is a little thinner, I'm not convinced it is THAT much thinner, smaller, lighter, etc. I'll say with the 45 version, my XDS is much harder to shoot and is much harder on the hands as well than my XD or XDM. No way would I take an XDS to an advanced class where you need to shoot 800-1000 rounds. My hands couldn't take it.

Keep in mind, too that part of the reason for CC these days is that you might have to deal with a "flash mob" or just a gang of local hoodlums. That would indicate a magazine with increased capacity would likely serve one better in that type of urban/suburban area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]

I’ve looked into this and had the same conclusions.  It is only very slightly thinner and lighter (26 oz vs. 25 oz) but you are giving up a 13+1 round gun for a 7+1 round gun.  So if you then carry reloads, where is the advantage?  I can shoot the XDSC almost as well as my 5.25 XDm in a competition in terms of speed and accuracy and that is type of confidence I want in a carry gun.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the XDs9, it's a great little gun. I also carry both my XD45 Service and an XDm9. I started carrying concealed using a Crossbreed Supertuck which works great and both of those of full size pistols disappear. During the last two years I've moved to open carry but on occasion do go the concealed route.I prefer to carry the XD45 most of the time whether it's concealed or open however I did want to pick up a "smaller" pistol for those times where I didn't feel like carrying the full sizes. There is a significant difference going to the XDs, you don't even notice it!

That being said, I wouldn't recommend selling your only pistol to fund another one, especially one that has less capacity and really isn't made for mid length to long shooting sessions. Save up and get the XDs when you can afford it. There are plenty of folks who claim they are going to dump theirs when they get them back from Springfield, be patient and look around.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve looked into this and had the same conclusions.  It is only very slightly thinner and lighter (26 oz vs. 25 oz) but you are giving up a 13+1 round gun for a 7+1 round gun.  So if you then carry reloads, where is the advantage?  I can shoot the XDSC almost as well as my 5.25 XDm in a competition in terms of speed and accuracy and that is type of confidence I want in a carry gun.

View Quote

The XDS is alot thinner,you should be carrying a spare mag regardless.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve looked into this and had the same conclusions. It is only very slightly thinner and lighter (26 oz vs. 25 oz) but you are giving up a 13+1 round gun for a 7+1 round gun. So if you then carry reloads, where is the advantage? I can shoot the XDSC almost as well as my 5.25 XDm in a competition in terms of speed and accuracy and that is type of confidence I want in a carry gun.

So you think something that is around 15% thinner is "a lot thinner”. I personally think a reduction of 40% in ammo capacity is more of alot in reduction!

Never said you should not carry reloads, just that there is no advantage in how cumbersome the size of the gun is by the time you carry reloads. BTW, most people remember why the LEOs went from a revolver to a semi-auto, and it had everything to do with the need to have more than 6 rounds which 8 rounds is IMHO still down there as low. Even if you know how to do a fast reload, that time is going to feel like eternity if someone is pointing a gun at you and you are clicking empty.

And all this for just a slightly skinner gun?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:35:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you think something that is around 15% thinner is "a lot thinner”. I personally think a reduction of 40% in ammo capacity is more of alot in reduction!

Never said you should not carry reloads, just that there is no advantage in how cumbersome the size of the gun is by the time you carry reloads. BTW, most people remember why the LEOs went from a revolver to a semi-auto, and it had everything to do with the need to have more than 6 rounds which 8 rounds is IMHO still down there as low. Even if you know how to do a fast reload, that time is going to feel like eternity if someone is pointing a gun at you and you are clicking empty.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’ve looked into this and had the same conclusions. It is only very slightly thinner and lighter (26 oz vs. 25 oz) but you are giving up a 13+1 round gun for a 7+1 round gun. So if you then carry reloads, where is the advantage? I can shoot the XDSC almost as well as my 5.25 XDm in a competition in terms of speed and accuracy and that is type of confidence I want in a carry gun.

The reloads are thinner also.You make it sound like you dont need to carry spare mags when carrying a gun with more capacity .  The XDS is a fuck of alot thinner than any doublestack pistol , if you value capacity more than comfort thats your choice ,everyone has to choose their carry gun based on their individual needs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The reloads are thinner also.You make it sound like you dont need to carry spare mags when carrying a gun with more capacity .http:// http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif The XDS is a fuck of alot thinner than any doublestack pistol , if you value capacity more than comfort thats your choice ,everyone has to choose their carry gun based on their individual needs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The reloads are thinner also.You make it sound like you dont need to carry spare mags when carrying a gun with more capacity .http:// http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_freak.gif The XDS is a fuck of alot thinner than any doublestack pistol , if you value capacity more than comfort thats your choice ,everyone has to choose their carry gun based on their individual needs.

Dude, tried to tell you but will do it again. Never said you don’t need reloads…. Just a bad thing to have to reload as it takes time….  If reloads is all it takes, no one will need a high capacity gun....

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, you would have thought I posted this in GD.  I'm looking for something to carry that won't print as much as my XDsc does.  I'm not looking for something for the zombie attack.  If i'm worrid about capacity, I'll carry my .45 XDc.  Thanks for the arguing about size and weight, it added nothing to the thread!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wow, you would have thought I posted this in GD. I'm looking for something to carry that won't print as much as my XDsc does. I'm not looking for something for the zombie attack. If i'm worrid about capacity, I'll carry my .45 XDc. Thanks for the arguing about size and weight, it added nothing to the thread!
View Quote

It’s hard to understand why the OP insult the people who take time and effort out to give what we feel are useful suggestions.  If you are not looking for suggestion and advice, just kudos for a great choice, you have come to the wrong place.  

Anyone who seriously thinks that high capacity (14 rounds) is something people only carry because of "zombie attack”, then you know little or nothing about self defense.  You should probably also move to New York.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not insulting anyone, I asked what a fair price would be to ask for my pistol.  I welcome your opinion and everyone else's, but this quickly went to a pissing match about which  pistol was lighter, thinner, etc.  No worries, I just sold it for $460.  I don't know why I would move to New York, but I'm fine where I'm at, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top