Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 5:20:50 PM EDT
Not the G.I. but it just said service model.  Don't know anything about 1911's, this will be my first  real pistol, and I don't want to give up more than $600.  I noticed it has better sights than the GI model.  But just wondering about reliability and accuracy.

any suggestions would help, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Mil Spec Springfield Armory M-1911A1 and love it!  Very reliable and pretty good accuracy.  I did dump the factory mag, a POS.  I replaced it with three Wilson mags  The best mags bar none!  Do yourself a favor, get the S/A and wilson mags you can't lose.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It's almost an identical gun.  Accuracy can vary greatly from one 1911 to another, but there is no real difference between the parts and assembly regarding accuracy.  You should be able to get one for $450 or so.  For $600 you can find a loaded model used very easily.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, they have it at my local academy for 449.99, so I thought it was a good deal.  Now on the mags, is there a good site you recommend for good priced Wilson Mags?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
You may give Brownell's a try for wilson mags, but i think they're overrated.  I like the tougher all-metal internal construction of Chip McCormick Power Mags, myself, but you'll always have cult followings for one or the other.  CMC works in all of my 1911's, Wilson only in some (the plastic follower leaves something to be desired, IMO, and sometimes is too flimsy to activate the slide stop).  

www.brownells.com

The Springfield Armory Milspec model should not be too choosy about magazines, but I would recommend the PowerMags over the Wilson-Rogers type (you can find both there at brownells).  Besides, they're still cheaper than Wilsons, and work a whole lot better, at least for me.

Happy hunting!
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The Mil-spec is a great gun, very happy with mine. You can get wilson magazines at  midway usa, that is where I ordered mine. They ship really quick.

Link Posted: 1/13/2005 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the ww2 model in OD green.  It's my second springfield armory 1911.   Shoots very well, has been 100% reliable so far but I've only fired about 300 rounds of 230gr ball.   Shoots to point of aim with the tiny speedbump sights.  I paid $399 for mine, you could buy a good set of sights pretty cheap and have them installed or just buy the model with better sights.  I really dont think you can go wrong with a SA 1911.   If you encounter any reliability problems you can cure them with a wilson combat extractor, slide stop and mag.   Less than $50 will get a non runner going perfectly.   Its my understanding they occasionally run out of .45acp parts and substitute 9mm stuff which doesnt work so well.    Rare but it does happen.  Btw, my new 1911 is stamped IMBEL on the bottom of the frame.   I love it, best $399 I ever spent .....aside from my first SA 1911 that is... ;)   I like it better than the XD I bought a few months back.   I guess I'm just a 1911 guy.  

I also suggest for a first 1911 get the full size, avoid the commander sized pistols they are not as easy to shoot and you'll like it much better.   I have an enhanced model stainless Colt Commander and my new ww2 SA shoots much better even with the crappy speedbump sights.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top