Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2010 4:02:23 AM EDT
Not crazy about the grips that's on it.  The wood ones are orginals he sanded and stained but lost the screw for back in the 70's.

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 4:11:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice I like the Python.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice Python. Numrich has the grip screw you need on page 6: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=6651

ETA: Looks like that added apiece because now the stock non-target model grip screw is on page 7.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks man!
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice! A shame about the modified original grips... What did you give for it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
...those sanded walnuts look similar to a Bill Jordan grip panels...nice...
Bill
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to find a set of original unmolested grips for that Python
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:25:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Very nice! A shame about the modified original grips... What did you give for it?

Quoted:

I for one like those grips. If the OP doesn't like them, he should hit me up. I have a pair of originals that I can't stand. I would much prefer to have those smooth panels over factory. My thumb gets tore up shooting with the factory ones. I have been hunting for smooth, groove-less, grips for some time. I have yet to be able to find much in the way of grips that suit me well.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:32:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I for one like those grips. If the OP doesn't like them, he should hit me up. I have a pair of originals that I can't stand. I would much prefer to have those smooth panels over factory. My thumb gets tore up shooting with the factory ones. I have been hunting for smooth, groove-less, grips for some time. I have yet to be able to find much in the way of grips that suit me well.

Original grips will increase the value of that revolver substantially.
There are plenty of aftermarket grip makers that will make smooth grips for a Python,no need to destroy the originals.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]

There are plenty of aftermarket grip makers that will make smooth grips for a Python,no need to destroy the originals.

Ahhh,

so I am lucky to have two sets...

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Value only matters if you plan on selling.

Do tell what are some good places to check for grips? I have looked high and low and haven't seen much that I have liked. It's nothing like hunting for S&W grips where the sky is the limit.

ETA:

My Python is from the mid-90s. The grips have penciled hand-writing on the inside stating they were from the early 70's. I don't know enough about the grips to be able to tell if that is true, or some less than honest person wrote that down to try to sucker someone into paying more.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ahhh,

so I am lucky to have two sets...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z159/Andyd173/1974ColtPython.jpg

Nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice pistole.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Very nice! A shame about the modified original grips...

Not a shame at all ––- it was his dad's gun and his dad modified them in the 70's   –––– that would make the grips worth even more to me personally  ,   but no, not from a resale value perspective.    They have a pretty good facsimile of a Bill Jordan profile on them to boot

In the 70's ,  these things were not collectible and people used them frequently for what they were intended for,   much like Colt SAA's in the late 1800's and early 1900's ––- the owners never cared that they would be worth big bucks in the future.

I'd put my dad's grips back on it and keep it till i'm dead if it were me

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a shame at all ––- it was his dad's gun and his dad modified them in the 70's   –––– that would make the grips worth even more to me personally  ,   but no, not from a resale value perspective.    They have a pretty good facsimile of a Bill Jordan profile on them to boot

In the 70's ,  these things were not collectible and people used them frequently for what they were intended for,   much like Colt SAA's in the late 1800's and early 1900's ––- the owners never cared that they would be worth big bucks in the future.

Yup...that's what I'd do...my 1985 Colt Python in stainless came with Pachmayr "standard" stocks and I replaced them with grippers (saved the original Colt gold logo'd for those worried about resale ;) )...but those "Bill Jordan" look-a-likes look very nice and I bet could tell a few stories...mine can too...keep 'em like Dad had it...
Bill
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that original owners are not necessarily concerned about resale after they're dead. I also understand the concept of an heirloom. It's still a shame. You disagree that having the originals right next to the set of aftermarkets that Dad whittled on would be a good thing?

FWIW, I modify my firearms to suit me. I fully expect that in 40 years when I'm gone, someone will be shaking their head and telling my daughter "What a shame."

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:36:24 AM EDT
[#16]
...or "Cool...I haven't seen one of those..."...gimmee...:D
Bill
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As soon as I run down that screw, those wood grips are going back on.  Those rubber grips that are on it just don't feel natural to me.   Not worried about resale as I imagine this will stay in the family.  But, it would be nice to have an original set of grips as well.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I appreciate the ugly Hogue rubber grips on my S&W more after about 30 rounds or so of .357.

I agree with the folks that said heirloom trumps collector.  That and I like the looks of the grips your Dad modified.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Unaltered original walnut Python are worth ~$300
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top