Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 12:38:03 PM EDT
6" 629 Classic  pre-lock NIB for $750, or 6" Anaconda  NIB for $1100.  Which one? (No I can't afford both!)
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Anaconda
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Me personally, getting one to shoot, the smith.  Getting one to have, the Anaconda.

Just my .02.

Doc
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The pre lock Smith sounds great, but myself I'd have to go with the Anaconda.  If it's in .45 Colt then there isn't even a question.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for the Anaconda

mine is a 6" model.  Had one before...mistakenly sold it...replaced it several years later.  Not letting this one go
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you plan to use it for? Long range accuracy, possible optics, I'd take the Anaconda every time.
Bear protection or to carry in the woods or to have in the console of your truck? I'd take the S&W everytime.

I've got both and the Anaconda is scary accurate @ 100yds. For defensive use I'd take the S&W.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What do you plan to use it for? Long range accuracy, possible optics, I'd take the Anaconda every time.
Bear protection or to carry in the woods or to have in the console of your truck? I'd take the S&W everytime.

I've got both and the Anaconda is scary accurate @ 100yds. For defensive use I'd take the S&W.

Whitetail in PA, mostly.  Maybe a pin match.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my anaconda, but I only paid $550 for it. Otherwise I would have a got a 629!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:57:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whitetail in PA, mostly.  Maybe a pin match.

That's exactly what I bought my Anaconda for! Whitetail from a blind/stand and pin shooting! I'd buy the Anaconda again.
It wears a Leoupold 2x7 EER these days and it can use every bit of that scope!

Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Smith for me. I like the Colts but I like the action of the Smith a little more and $350 buys quite a bit of .44.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with the S&W
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both and enjoy both, along with a Redhawk. Prefer the Smiths though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, the Colt just sold so the choice is made for me unless I find another colt!
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
the classic isnt that bad of a 2nd choice.

get it before it walks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
You won't regret either, and will eventually want to have both.  I prefer the Anaconda, and I'm really a Colt revolver fan, but have recently been picking up more Smiths.  Note that the 29 didn't get the new lock until the -5 iteration, so the cylinder will jump backwards occasionally on the older ones, like my old 29-3.  I don't know the situation on the 629, but you need to find out if you're going to buy one to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd take the S&W.  I bought my M29 about 28 years ago.  We put 650 rounds through it the first weekend.  Man, my right thumb joints were swelled up for two weeks after that.  A set of Pachmayr grips and took care of that problem.  It is still the smoothest revolver I've every shot.  Everytime I pick it up it amazes me.  Accurate, too.  If I was in a place where I needed to carry a .44 I'd get a 629.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:25:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#18]

I've got a 629-2 and an Anaconda, I shoot the Anaconda more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Anaconda's are on GB frequently between 900 and 1100 bucks ––––- keep looking.     The slight price penalty over a 'Smith is only a couple months of brewing your own coffee vs. buying at Starfucks ––-   "Buy once- cry once" as the saying goes
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#20]
SMITH for sure...LOVE MINE!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been shooting revolvers for decades and mainly deer hunt with a .44 magnum handgun.

Since the Anaconda sold I'll tell you this . . . it was a crude, last-gasp effort for Colt to make an acceptable lower-costing big revolver . . . before finally giving up on the revolver market altogether.  Now yes, their expensive-to-make "Python" model is to die for . . . but not many people wanted the Anaconda when it first came out and could be compared side-by-side with a new Python in gunshops across America back in the '80s or so.

Also, it is nigh impossible these days to find a reputable gunsmith who can properly work on the Colt revolvers . . . and it is a given that Colt double action revolvers will go out of time much, much faster than a comparable S&W or Ruger.  Don't know if Colt changed the lockwork on the cheaper Anaconda to try to solve that problem . . . for soon Colt phased out their expensive-to-make, uncompetitive Colt revolvers forever.  I only own one Colt double action revolver today . . . and it is my father's .38 Colt snubbie that I inherited.  Yes . . . although he shot it little, it IS out of time today . . . so it remains in the safe for nostalgic reasons.

MY .44 REVOLVER?

I go for great triggers and quality firearms.  My first was an early (3-screw) Ruger Superblackhawk.  Then I went up for a Thompson Center Contender single shot in .44 Magnum.  I traded it for my "ultimate" .44 magnum handgun . . . a S&W Model 29 (same as a S&W 629 Classic but blued).  Mine was made in '89 and I've never wanted another since.  Lots of incredible memories made with this awesome . . . and incredibly accurate revolver (for stunts I sometimes bet people I can hit gallon milkjugs at 200 yards).  Just aim 34" high and mentally adjust for the wind and watch 'em fly!!!  Hope this helps . . .

Oops, almost forgot to post a photo.  This one was from last season . . . took him with a heart shot:

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/415/415871/folders/305468/2448401200911048ptwp.jpg
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice!  Can you recommend a deer load with 180 gr xtp hollowpoint and WW 296?  Hving trouble finding data with  296 for this light a bullet.

BTW: Went with the 629 classic pre-lock.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Another vote for the Smith here.  I had an early Anaconda that wouldn't shoot groups at all, it patterned.  There was some sort of a problem with the first run that was corrected pretty quickly, but I got one of the bad ones.

I have a 6 1/2 inch 629 Classic, it is a superbly accurate revolver, and easy to shoot well. The Hogue grips fit my hand perfectly and the single action trigger is as good as it gets.  I mainly hunt with a rifle, but have taken a few wild hogs with the 629 Classic.

You might also consider a Ruger Redhawk. They aren't "swiss watch precision" quality like a Smith & Wesson, but they are hell for stout and are accurate sixguns.  A 7 1/2 inch Redhawk with the integral scope mounts would be a nearly ideal hunting revolver.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Another vote for the Smith here.  I had an early Anaconda that wouldn't shoot groups at all, it patterned.  There was some sort of a problem with the first run that was corrected pretty quickly, but I got one of the bad ones.

I have a 6 1/2 inch 629 Classic, it is a superbly accurate revolver, and easy to shoot well. The Hogue grips fit my hand perfectly and the single action trigger is as good as it gets.  I mainly hunt with a rifle, but have taken a few wild hogs with the 629 Classic.

You might also consider a Ruger Redhawk. They aren't "swiss watch precision" quality like a Smith & Wesson, but they are hell for stout and are accurate sixguns.  A 7 1/2 inch Redhawk with the integral scope mounts would be a nearly ideal hunting revolver.

Yep, I had a Super Blackhawk Hunter that I sold and I'm kicking myself in the ass.  Hence the replacement.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I will keep my 5" 629-3 Classic forever...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top