Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 11:40:53 AM EDT
I got this yesterday after the 3 day waiting period. I got it on Gunbroker and after playing with it, I figured it was some cops gun. Horrible, gritty trigger, barrel shroud wear and almost zero turn line on the cylinder. The barrel and cylinder chambers look brand new. I ran a cloth through them and only came out with rust.

I wanted to take care of the trigger so I found a nice tutorial on TFL about how to open up and clean a D-frame, and went to it. I found a lot of rust inside, which I cleaned with G96, an AP brush and a lot of q-tips, and then blew out with compressed air, then re-oiled everything and put it back together. I didn't feel bad about taking it apart as the screw heads were already buggered and the side plate had some 'lift' on the bluing where it looked like someone pressed it in to place in the past. Here are the pictures.

One question I have is that when oiling the crane, I let it go back in to the cylinder and it got stuck. I could only wiggle it side to side at first but then it started to loosen up. With reasonable force I pulled it back out of the cylinder and this little ring came out with it. Not sure what happened but it works and turns fine now.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably leading or a steel burr left over from when it was made.

I recommend buying a new mainspring.  When they get even slightly rusty they almost always tend to break sooner or later.
You can buy new springs from several sources.  Any Colt "D" frame spring will fit properly, including the Detective Special, Agent, Diamondback.

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

http://www.parts4guns.com/
(Click on COLT, and WAIT).  Listed as Colt "D" frame "MS".

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
the cold KC is a great revolver.  I wish colt would get back into the mainstream revolver market.  my KC was a stainless steel 4"-er but i had to sell it last year to pay bills. i regret having to part with it but hey, thats life.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have a link for the tutorial?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The proper way to remove the side plate is remove the grips then the screws with the right size "gun" screwdriver set. "DO NOT PRY THE SIDE PLATE with anything period", just use a plastic mallet lightly tap the side of the frame where the grip goes while holding the latch back, the side plate will pop right out slowly. I have to caution you though that Colts are a bit tricky when putting them back together, so unless you are good with machanics, I would follow the directions above. Just spray some gun scubber inside after you take the grips off. If you not carefull the rebound lever can drop off it's position and the plate will not go back on. Also you have to hold back the latch and spring to get the plate back on.

My sideplate came off easily
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Very cool, please make sure to share "after" pics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top