Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2009 12:51:48 PM EDT

Ruger Security Six 357 Magnum, and STI Trojan 6.0 45 Super.

I got the Trojan some years ago, and it just might be the only factory 45 Super that STI ever put out.  At any rate, I never saw them advertised.  I'm proud of how it turned out in the end, but I sure had a rough time getting it there.  When I got it, the recoil spring was so strong that I was barely able to cycle the slide, and it jammed a lot.  I sent it back to STI and they worked it over, and worked it over, and fiddled with it for weeks, and put in a new barrel and I don't know what else.  When I got it back, I couldn't tell much difference.  However, they did send a lighter recoil spring along with it.

I swapped in the lighter spring, switched to only Wilson Combat magazines, and learned to avoid certain ammo (like Hydra Shock), and eventually got it to work with complete reliability.  I also had it Duracoated, and new thumb safety, slide release and mainspring housing put in.  After all that, it's a good looking, good performing pistol.  Considering the time and money I put in, I can't exactly call it a good bargain.  Plus, it needs either premium 45 ACP +P ammo or 45 Super to really meet its potential.

By comparison. . .  I recently got the Ruger Security Six.  It came with the goofy little factory grips, but I found some old Herrett Shooting Star grips on gunbroker.com.  My total bill was less than $400.  The DA trigger was what I'd call "barely acceptable", but I stripped down the gun and dosed it with cerflon and lubriplate and improved it to "perfectly acceptable".  (Nobody's going to mistake it for a Python.)  Common factory 158 grain JSPs should do just fine in it.  That's what I call a bargain.

I also got a stainless Rossi Puma M92 rifle in 357 at the same time.  That and the Ruger should make a fine combination.  Should be good medicine for hogs, I reckon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#1]
nice work on the Ruger !    i like the lines of the Security Six and Speed Six much better than the GP-100 .   If they re-introduced them, they might even outsell the GP         (      like    t he STI too)
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Both look nice.

My first center-fire pistol was a Security-Six, and I still have it.  Mine is blue, 6" barrel, and it still wears the Pachmayr grips that I put on it back in the days of disco.

Later on, I picked up another one, stainless steel, 4" barrel, Liberty model.  

They are definitely tough!  When I was in my 20s, load data was a tad bit hotter than it is today.  Well, the Ruger survived everything I put through it, and I shot it a lot.

32 years of Ruger goodness!  Makes me feel old.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would love to have a Security - six.  I have a gp-100 and would trade it on one in a heartbeat.  I just like the lines better and it is lighter.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I thougth I had a pic of both of my Sec-Sixes, but I only found one of the stainless.

Not sure who made those grips.  They are some kind of synthetic, and were way too slick, though the shape was nice.  An afternoon with a Dremel produced all of those little holes, and now it is a bit easier to grip.

I love my LCR, and it is an extremely practical revolver.  I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the old Sec-Sixes, however.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Good God that grip is ugly to my eyes, but if it feels good, I guess I understand.    Nice checkered grips would probably feel good.

Link Posted: 10/24/2009 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The security six is a fine gun. I have one in stainless with a  4" barrel and dropped a wolff spring kit in it, made a big difference.
It is my preferred sidearm for those deep country excursions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Just picked up this one...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm90/grendelbane6/Rugersecsix.jpg

Not sure who made those grips.  They are some kind of synthetic, and were way too slick, though the shape was nice.  An afternoon with a Dremel produced all of those little holes, and now it is a bit easier to grip.

Judging from the shape and color, the stocks look like the ones designed and sold by former FBI agent, shooting instructor, competition shooter, and holster designer Bill Rogers.   After they bought Rogers' holster business, Safariland also marketed the stocks.  However, most that I've seen had a big logo medallion on the upper right hand side.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a Security Six snubbie. I haven't shot it often-it sits in my safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top