BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 6:58:29 PM EDT
Got this today in a trade for some stuff.  It was made in 1970

My first wheelgun!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice three screw!  Looks brand new.

Now just remember to never carry it with a round under the hammer.  Always carry with an empty chamber under the hammer.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
NICE !

Now you need a 9mm cylinder.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Now just remember to never carry it with a round under the hammer.  Always carry with an empty chamber under the hammer.

How about letting it drop to halfcock? Is that safe?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
No, If the hammer is stuck, from being dropped or whatever the hammer can and will move forward and strike the primer of the cartridge.

Here's a linky on the old model blackhawk .357

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/blackhawk.html

edit

Nice looking handgun
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, If the hammer is stuck, from being dropped or whatever the hammer can and will move forward and strike the primer of the cartridge.

Here's a linky on the old model blackhawk .357

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/blackhawk.html

edit
Nice looking handgun

Thanks a ton for the link!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about letting it drop to halfcock? Is that safe?

If you mean is it okay to carry on half cock, the answer is no.  Hammer down on an empty chamber only.  

The action on your gun is no different than an old Colt from the late 1800 era.  It is the same design and the same cautions apply.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Copy that.

I really love this thing
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a couple of Ruger single actions myself.....a few are the older three screw version and I have one flat top.....they get addicting.........!

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#9]

God dammit...  I can totally see myself having a collection like that soon
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my 4 5//8 Bicentennial .45 BlackHawk Convertible.

It's is my absolute favorite gun to take to the woods. It's just great! Sitting in my nightstand now...

I think I want a 7.5 inch Vaquero though. I just love that look!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#11]
i like those blackhawks, my friend has one in .30cal and I want to get one also
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i like those blackhawks, my friend has one in .30cal and I want to get one also

Just found out that my father in law has one as well
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#13]
First centerfire handgun I ever shot was my Dad's OM Blackhawk in .41 mag. He still has it, I WILL get it!

Oh yeah, +1 on the empty cylinder under the hammer.

I won't say what happened, but after my younger brother got through "showing" the gun to a girlfriend, well, let's just say there's one sofa that will never sit the same again!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I had sold off my Blackhawk collection a few years ago.  I had tha 1962 Flattop 44, a three-screw 357, single-six, a 44 stainless SBH, and an old Bearcat.  I weep for their return. For many years I have had all plasic autos.  I miss the soul of the hard kickin' steel.  Yesterday the wife gifted me money for a new gun and there it was, a 50th anniversary Ruger Blackhawk 44.  It looks so good with the black checkered rubber grips and blue steel-no aluminum at all on the gun.  They even had some ammo:  Buffalo Bore .44 340 gn at 1425 fps.  I fired some of this and some more sane ammo.  She's a screamer ;)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top