Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2009 8:09:40 AM EDT
Just won a CHARTER ARMS BULLDOG .44 SPECIAL (bobbed hammer) stainless steel, seems to be the older model but looks good and listed as very good shape and functions flawlessly. I may have paid a little to much but should have fun with it. (305 shipped but it is stainless steel and shiny, I like the shiny)

I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have shot these guns. Read online some fairly decent reviews and just wanted to get your feedback.

Yes was on GB.....

Will post picks when I get it...
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 9:58:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Well $305 shipped plus say $20 transfer would put it at $325 out the door.  That's certainly a fair price.  Going rate seems to be $350 on the new Stainless ones.

Finish quality of the new ones is not as good as the originals w/ the 3" taper barrel, but quality is MUCH improved over the old Charcos.  Honestly they are good solid guns, certainly not as nice in the fit/finish department as a Smith, but quite a bit more affordable, and no stupid lawyer lock.

Holsters can be a bit tricky, but Charter sells them for the new ones.  Gratuitous pic of my mid-eighties bulldog:
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Have to add mine. I LOVE these guns so much this is my second!

Link Posted: 6/8/2009 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Very Nice!!

I should be able to pick mine up tomorrow, looking forward to it! Now if I could just find a decent deal on ammo
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck, keep checking Midway and eventually they will have the 200 grain Gold dots back in stock.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I bought new a year ago.I like it. Ammo is a bit expensive. Its good enough for what it is. CB
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If it's good enough for son of sam..............

But really, I have a Charter .38 snub that my grandpa had. They are, like Ruger, Taurus, good guns for the money. I'd kind of like the have one in .44sp, but my medium frame just won't let me carry one. They'd make a nice house hideout gun. I had a nice, clean nickel S&W M57 6" magnaported (shot like a .357), with a hair trigger that, with Hogue's felt ok in my hands, but was still just on the "too big" size. Sold it. Too shiny for hunting. It was sweet though. Wish I had it back for what they're going for now. Sold it for $350.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
My wife's uncle gave me a reloading press and a set of .44SPL dies.  Having dies is a perfect excuse to get a gun in .44SPL I think
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#10]
over 30 years I have owned 3 of them, two of those ended up out of time and I had a devil of an ordeal getting them fixed as Charter seems to go bankrupt every 5-7 years voiding the warranty, etc.

don't use any really hot ammo for practice and you will probably be ok, since I started practicing with "cowboy load" levels of practice ammo, which tends to be lower pressure and velocity, I have never had another problem, I also loaded some .44 "pumpkin ball" ammo for practice that was quite pleasant to shoot...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top