Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2009 2:50:32 PM EDT
What is the best .38 revolver for concealed carry if money is no object?

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#1]
cds 38 s .3"
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Air-weight J frame
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm partial to the older J-Frame Smiths.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
SS  SMith Model 36, SP101 in .357 with a trigger job, Model 49 bodyguard, Model 60 in SS
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
i really like my ruger sp101. it is a pleasure to carry in my desantis holster.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
colt detective
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#7]
342PD

10.6oz

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
2" cobra
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
S&W J Frame.

Bodyguard configuration.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
colt detective

proven classic, top of my list.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

S&W J Frame.

Bodyguard configuration.

I have to agree with this.  The Bodyguards are at the top of my list for a concealment 38.

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
+1
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My vote would be a Colt Cobra or Agent hands down
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is the best .38 revolver for concealed carry if money is no object?

Either one of the lightweight S&W J-frames (your choice whether to go hammer, hammerless or shrouded hammer) or a 3-inch barreled Model 65 or 64 S&W.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for an older S&W J frame.

If you get into larger revolvers, there are a lot of good ones (a 3 inch S&W K frame would be my choice).  But IMHO at that point you're better served with a semi.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
My 3' Smith Model 10 is more comfortable to carry IWB than my Glock 27 and my 3" Smith 36  even more so.

I would say one of these:

Smith 64 2" stainless
Smith 10 2"
Smith 36 3"
Smith 60 3" stainless
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
This boils down to the plain simple debate of Ford vs Chevy, ie. Colt vs S&W.......I can only think of a saying you hear from time to time. Colt revolvers spin to the right.. All others are just wrong !!
+1 for Colt Detective Special. The most reliable service revolver evermade.....however if weight is an issue as it should be. +1 for an airlite S&W...The only good gun is the one you have on you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Ruger, Smith, Colt.  Decide what features are most important (finish, five vs six shoot, weight, etc) and buy accordingly.  Can't go wrong with any.

Presently own:  Smith 638, 10 two inch, 64 three inch, and late model Colt DS.   Don't be surprised if a Ruger SP101 shows up some day.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 5:16:28 AM EDT
[#19]
S&W model 64 or 65 with a 3" barrel.

Best carry gun revovler period.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My vote would be a Colt Cobra or Agent hands down

This.

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:02:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
S&W J Frame.

Bodyguard configuration.

I have to agree with this.  The Bodyguards are at the top of my list for a concealment 38.

Agreed  
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Years ago I carried a Colt Det. Sp. and found that it was to heavy for what I wanted out of this gun. I carried a PPK/S for a few years then was issued a S&W 37. I found that the air weight worked. One thing I found that I hated was that the hammer would snagg on my clothes and in my pocket. When I left the SO I bought a S&W 638, I wanted a 442 but the 638 was in stock. I have found that this handgun does everything I wanted out of a small off-duty / back-up gun. Often when I am just running to the store I do not want to take the time to put on a holster etc. With these little concealed / shrouded hammer J-frames you can just drop it in a pocket and go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 7:16:21 PM EDT
[#23]

someday, this will be in my vest
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

someday, this will be in my vest
Even though I live in Calif, I bought a S&W 342PD for "laughs and giggles." Great shooting gun, but shooting standard velocity 38Spls, recoil is pretty stiff. I have tried my wadcutter reloads, and that is more to my liking. I can shoot that stuff all day long.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Smith & Wesson Titanium J frame.38 (not a scandium .357)

They don't make them any more so your best chance of getting one is on an internet auction site like Gunbroker or Auction Arms.

It'll probably cost you around $700.00 or so.  I have about $900.00 in mine all fixed up.

You'll need to spend some more on it after you get it.  Get a bobbed hammer installed (or get the stock hammer bobbed like I did on mine).  Toss the sticky rubber grip and get a pair of smooth wood boot grips (I got mine on eBay).

My eyes are getting old, so I also replaced the stock front sight with an XS 24/7 big dot tritium.

Best damned pocket carry gun ever made.  Light, powerful, reliable.  Slips in and out of your pocket like greased glass.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#26]
I own both a Detective Special (Gen3) and J frame Smith. For me, I like the extra heft of the DS frame. Either is excellent choice.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#27]
It sounds like you want something above the norm, in this case I would suggest something from the S&W Performance Center, and maybe even a custom that they'll build for you.  You could also buy a Chief's or dick's special and send it to Cylinder and Slide, for something really special.  Otherwise, I'd say go for a J frame.
Link Posted: 5/28/2009 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
POCKET REVOLVERS

1.  A handgun HAS to have enough weight to make it comfortable and MANAGEABLE to shoot for the purpose it is created for.  In J frames, the best is the steel frames of course, with the aluminum framed "Airweights" also "passable."  Don't minimize the purpose of having it in your pocket in the first place!!!  

2. However, a handgun for pocket carry HAS to be light enough to literally "forget" it is even there.  The 10 oz. Airlite J frames are best for this purpose and the aluminum-framed "Airweights" are also GREAT for this purpose.

Thus, the ONLY weight J frame that meets both requirements is the 15 oz. "Airweights" and this is what I carry as a POCKET GUN.  As a matter of fact, my vintage Model 37 is in my pocket as I write.  I would never use an "Airlite" as a pocket gun, due to extreme recoil making FAST, and ACCURATE double action shots very, very hard under an attack.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/2328567IMG0121e.jpg

The "little" COLT SNUBBIES

These six shot revolvers use the same speedloaders as a S&W K-frame so the cylinders are the same as a K frame.  I have an aluminum framed Colt Agent, but it remains in the safe.

Pictured is my Agent, next to the smaller J frame Model 36 for comparison.  

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/363/363373/folders/282194/22584992snubs.jpg

Heck, if I want a six shooter, I'll pick up either my K-framed Model 19 2 1/2" barrel . . . or my WONDERFUL Model 65 3" K-frame.  IMHO, these aren't small enough for the perfect-sized pocket revolvers.  Plus, the Colts are notorious for going out of time easier . . . and they are getting very hard to get serviced . . . with no factory part backups anymore.  IMHO, instead of a Colt Agent, I'd prefer the aluminum framed Model 12 S&W snubbie at this size of gun . . . although the little Colt is smaller than the Ks but bigger than the J's.

BELT CARRY . . .

This is another whole ballgame!  Larger, heavier and more potent handguns can be used in good belt holsters . . . when you can wear a loose shirt or jacket.  This is when the 2 1/2" and 3" K-frames truly shine . . . as well as a lot of other handguns . . . from steel-framed J's, the K's and L frames . . . and even the big N framed, S&W "snubbie" offerings and tons of auto loaders.  

I've got some of all of these types I've just mentioned . . . but NOTHING beats a J frame "Airweight" as a pocket revolver.  It is ALWAYS in the pocket, whether I can carry a bigger gun TOO or not.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, from a southpaws point of view.  It would be this.

Link Posted: 5/29/2009 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/93820.gif

Who What Where When?  I want!
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#31]
3" K Frame
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.charterfirearms.com/images/products/prod_pgs/93820.gif

Who What Where When?  I want!

Charter Arms Southpaw.  Any gunshop can order one for you.  

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Oops double post
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
OP,

I'm no revolver expert but I will make my informed opinion...

During the past month Ive been looking for info about the best snub nosed revolver for personal defense purposes.  After countless hours of online research I can state that the general consensus is:

1. Colt 2" D Frame: Detective Special, Cobra, Agent.

2. S&W 1 7/8" Model 36 Chief Special, Model 37 Airlight and Model 40.  Or a current production J Frame with Crimson Trace Grips.

Now its your call... Ford vs Chevy... Older/classic vs Newer/fancy.

FWIW, I went the older/classic route with 1971 & 1973 Colt DS's and currently looking for a S&W 36 and 37.

Link Posted: 6/3/2009 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#35]
It's a heck of a lot easier to find a snub S&W but I've yet to see a factory one that locks up as nice as a Colt. Every one I've handled [maybe 100-125] has had a sloppy cylinder that has 10X the play of a Colt snub. It might make NO difference in the end but I don't find sloppy revolvers interesting in the least and they won't ever make me pull out the gun bankroll and take one home.

That is also one reason I just can't ever buy a Colt 3rd gen SAA, they are just miserably sloppy and my cheapass [at the time, they have appreciated quite nicely] Colt cowboy locks up like a custom SAA as compared to one. Sucks to say that but sometimes the truth hurts.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#36]
If price wasn't an object I would carry a 2 1/2 or  3" Diamondback.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I like my S&W 442, but if money was no object, a 340 PD would be in my pocket.

Accountant
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:29:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's a heck of a lot easier to find a snub S&W but I've yet to see a factory one that locks up as nice as a Colt. Every one I've handled [maybe 100-125] has had a sloppy cylinder that has 10X the play of a Colt snub. It might make NO difference in the end but I don't find sloppy revolvers interesting in the least and they won't ever make me pull out the gun bankroll and take one home.

That is also one reason I just can't ever buy a Colt 3rd gen SAA, they are just miserably sloppy and my cheapass [at the time, they have appreciated quite nicely] Colt cowboy locks up like a custom SAA as compared to one. Sucks to say that but sometimes the truth hurts.

Not to get off topic, but DA Colts should lockup tighter than a S&W unloaded.  Loaded, a S&W uses the bullet itself to complete the connection between the cyl and forcing cone.   I've read this not just on multiple collector sites, but in my own reference manuals and books on the history and function of revolvers.  I may be explaining the actual mechanics wrong, but the overall idea is correct.  The "slop" in the S&W is intentional and not a sign of abuse or poor craftsmanship.  That being said, I prefer the Colts myself.  I have a nice 3rd series Agent.  They just "click" better
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:43:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Accountant

Verbatim of what I was going to post.

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I vote for the 2" Colt Detective Special thrid series.  I love the trigger and it is a much more comfortable shooter than my friend's SW 442.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to get off topic, but DA Colts should lockup tighter than a S&W unloaded.  Loaded, a S&W uses the bullet itself to complete the connection between the cyl and forcing cone.   I've read this not just on multiple collector sites, but in my own reference manuals and books on the history and function of revolvers.  I may be explaining the actual mechanics wrong, but the overall idea is correct.  The "slop" in the S&W is intentional and not a sign of abuse or poor craftsmanship.  That being said, I prefer the Colts myself.  I have a nice 3rd series Agent.  They just "click" better

Interesting, I suppose the forcing cone and cylinder would be locked at the time the bullet was between the two.

It's just a bit disconcerting to handle a new S&W and feel the slop as compared to a 40 or 50 year old one.

Here's a Colt Marshall next to the Agent I CCW.

[/img]

Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, I suppose the forcing cone and cylinder would be locked at the time the bullet was between the two.

It's just a bit disconcerting to handle a new S&W and feel the slop as compared to a 40 or 50 year old one.

Here's a Colt Marshall next to the Agent I CCW.

http://i40.tinypic.com/xm7s5z.jpg[/url]

correct.

The smith relies on the bullet to complete the lockup. At least that is my understanding from my revolver book.  Seems well-informed and not wikipedia knowledge.

never seen a marshal!  Cool gun!
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Accountant

Verbatim of what I was going to post.

I wanted one until I actually got to shoot one . I fired off a cylinder of full hot Federal 125gr JHP .357's .
Did you know that you can actually bruise your palm

12oz's make great to carry , but make it real difficult to practice with .
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#44]
S&W 340 SS
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Any S&W J-Frame, take your pick, there are many.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I just got the S&W M&P 340 so you know what i'm gonna say.  it was between that and a lock less 642, but i found the 340 for 599 brand new.  I haven't gotten it yet, thats how recent my purchase was its currently in the mail.  call Eds Gun shop in North Carolina, they took very good care of me ask for Mike.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I just got the S&W M&P 340 so you know what i'm gonna say.  it was between that and a lock less 642, but i found the 340 for 599 brand new.  I haven't gotten it yet, thats how recent my purchase was its currently in the mail.  call Eds Gun shop in North Carolina, they took very good care of me ask for Mike.

$599 is an excellent price for a brand new 340.  Congrats and enjoy!

Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$599 is an excellent price for a brand new 340.  Congrats and enjoy!

That's a steal. Around here they want $850 - $950 for a 340.

Accountant
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got the S&W M&P 340 so you know what i'm gonna say. it was between that and a lock less 642, but i found the 340 for 599 brand new. I haven't gotten it yet, thats how recent my purchase was its currently in the mail. call Eds Gun shop in North Carolina, they took very good care of me ask for Mike.

$599 is an excellent price for a brand new 340. Congrats and enjoy!

That's a steal. Around here they want $850 - $950 for a 340.

Accountant

Thanks, I was considering one on gunbroker for 800, or a lockless 642 for 500 but when they told me the price on the 340 There was no more thinking and bought it right away.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#50]
He he he, I just picked this up for $275.00 today at the show. One of the few deals there.

1967 Detective Special.

[/img]

Aftermarket grips I do believe but the thing looks like it was never carried, used or fired.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top