Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2008 12:43:37 PM EDT
I have been stocking up on ammo and stuff for my 3 AR 15s and AK 47, but today I wanted this Charter Arms Bull Dog Pug in cal 44 SPL. Bought also some brushes and a few boxes of 200 gr Winchester Silvertip Hp's also. I used to own a Charter Arms 38 Police Bulldog and I have really regretted selling that accurate and dependable hand gun for a few years now. This Stainless steel 2.5 in barrel 44 special is a sweet weapon. The bullets are almost as big as my Desert Eagle 50 AE. The only bad thing is I remember about 5 years ago a employee that worked where I did, blew his head damn near off with a 44 SPL, but that was bad for him, so I got over it already.

Link Posted: 11/17/2008 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Aw man, now there's a gun I've had a love/hate relationship with for the better part of twenty years. I've owned three, two Pugs like yours with the barrel shroud, and one of the original style with exposed ejector rod. I'm always on the verge of buying another, most recently at a gun show this past Saturday. I love the idea of those big .429" slugs in a gun barely larger than a J-frame .38. It's just that I had some bad experiences with my examples. Trigger actions were heavy and gritty in all three. Some very careful polishing improved the grittiness but the pull weights never improved with use. The ejector shroud on one of the Pugs came loose and had to be epoxied back into place. (What can I tell you, I was a poor college student at the time.) Yet even with all the problems I had with my guns, that damn little .44 keeps beckoning me.

Best of luck with your gun. Be sure to try Federal's 200-gr. LSWCHP. It was the most accurate load in all three of my guns and that soft bullet expands nicely in water-filled milk cartons and soaked newsprint. I'm confident it would do the same in some lowlife who chose the wrong guy to mug.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Aw man, now there's a gun I've had a love/hate relationship with for the better part of twenty years. I've owned three, two Pugs like yours with the barrel shroud, and one of the original style with exposed ejector rod. I'm always on the verge of buying another, most recently at a gun show this past Saturday. I love the idea of those big .429" slugs in a gun barely larger than a J-frame .38. It's just that I had some bad experiences with my examples. Trigger actions were heavy and gritty in all three. Some very careful polishing improved the grittiness but the pull weights never improved with use. The ejector shroud on one of the Pugs came loose and had to be epoxied back into place. (What can I tell you, I was a poor college student at the time.) Yet even with all the problems I had with my guns, that damn little .44 keeps beckoning me.

Best of luck with your gun. Be sure to try Federal's 200-gr. LSWCHP. It was the most accurate load in all three of my guns and that soft bullet expands nicely in water-filled milk cartons and soaked newsprint. I'm confident it would do the same in some lowlife who chose the wrong guy to mug.

Yep, this 44 is a nice one. Also, thanks for the info about the wad cutters, I would think that it would get real dirty and fast, but you know what's up with that ammo.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a the same problem with the barrel shroud coming off with one I bought in the mid '90s when I lived in WA. They are being made by a different parent company now (I think) so hopefully that has been solved. Other then that it was a great carry gun, I ended up selling it to a buddy before leaving the state and have always wondered if the new ones were any better. Please post a range report when you can.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had a the same problem with the barrel shroud coming off with one I bought in the mid '90s when I lived in WA. They are being made by a different parent company now (I think) so hopefully that has been solved. Other then that it was a great carry gun, I ended up selling it to a buddy before leaving the state and have always wondered if the new ones were any better. Please post a range report when you can.

I am hopefully going to get to the range some damn day, hopefully soon. I also need to bore sight my brand new LaRue Tactical AK IronDot on my new AK 47.

Well, The warranty states Lifetime, unless abused. I never had one problem with the Charter Arms 38 special, and God knows how many different rounds went downrange with that one, and I regret so much now ever selling that 38. This 44 Pug seems to be built like a tank, and my Gunsmith friend would usually warn me of any known issues with these 44 SPL Bulldog Pugs, as he is about the best and most reliable gun expert that I'm good friends with. A couple of years ago he was really wanting me to work with him at his busy shop, but I was not able to fit that time in with my Government job.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, this 44 is a nice one. Also, thanks for the info about the wad cutters, I would think that it would get real dirty and fast, but you know what's up with that ammo.

Actually for lead alloy ammo, the Federal HP is quite clean. These bullets don't have the cheap, hard and smoky lube most people associate with commercial lead slugs.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info about the Federal ammo. I'm sure it would be less expensive than the Winchester Silvertip HP's that I have now, but I will fire a few boxes anyway, since that is my choice for defense, and I need to know where they usually hit once blasted out of this sweet 44 SPL.

Again thanks justbill and everyone else too for your information and comments.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The Fed round is good, but can be difficult to find.  I'm carrying the 200 grain gold dot in my Bulldog.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Fed round is good, but can be difficult to find.  I'm carrying the 200 grain gold dot in my Bulldog.

Yes sir, I know thats a kick ass round of ammo as that is just about all I use for my Desert Eagle 50 AE, except the bullet weight is 325 grain GDHPs.

Thanks NVGdude for that intel.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I've always had a soft spot for the Bulldog.  I wish Smith would do one.

Cat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top