Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2008 12:49:52 PM EDT
Are the current crop of charter arms quality guns, and are they still made in the USA? I was thinking of getting something in-expensive to be shot a little for testing, and then put away for emergency use. Primarily this will be intended as a family use weapon, accessable to everyone. I was thinking of buying one for wifes side of the bed, and another for downstairs livingroom. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Charter Arms Bulldog Target in .357 once. I never good get it to shoot point of aim, so I kept it loaded with shot shells as a snake gun.  It wasn't high quality, but it got the job done.

As far as the new ones, I have no idea. Wish I could help.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they are made in the US.  That is why a lot of folks complain about the the fit/finish.  At the price point, you would need to export the labor to improve the cosmetics.

The are good for what they are: solid, reliable. lightweight, but a bit rough.

No lawyer-locks though.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Which is why I only buy the older, original models with the 3" tapered barrel. Much better looking and probably a better buy all around.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Which is why I only buy the older, original models with the 3" tapered barrel. Much better looking and probably a better buy all around.

Um, like this one I picked up last month?  

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#5]

I bought this new for $200 in '05. Made in Stratford, CT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, like this one I picked up last month?  

i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/NVGdude/CharterArms004.jpg

Dude!! They're twins!! Except mine has a bobbed hammer. I WISH it had the normal one like yours.

This is my 2nd. The first was the blued (also old) model with the alloy frame. It got sold before my divorce in 1994 and I missed it so much I had to have another.
Link Posted: 7/26/2008 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I see now they are making a "Lefty" Model with a right side opening cylinder. Sounds like a great concept for southpaws.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#8]
.44 SPL Bulldog?  or .38 SPL+P Undercover?

Thinking about a Charter Arms revolver for a bedroom gun (something "point n' shoot" for the wife).  We've got kids in two bedrooms outside of our bedroom; so, I have overpenetration concerns (two and three drywall walls away).  

Any thoughts on whether to go with .44 SPL Bulldog, maybe downloaded with reduced loads (JHPs of some type)?  or, go with .38 SPL Undercover, loaded with either straight .38 SPL (maybe Federal Hydra Shocks), or perhaps with .38 SPL+P.

Much thanks, all,
-Jess
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Speer 200 grain Gold Dot for the Bulldog.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Charter is much improved overall recently. Excellent customer service and excellent value for the dollar.

The guns are accurate and reliable. Recent examples have been more smooth lately.

Currently made in Shelton, CT one town north of Stratford (with half the tax rate)

Bought a Bulldog Pug in .44SPL - it's my regular carry gun

Bought a Pink Bitch .38 (lightweight Undercover) for my wife

Both are great!

Bulldog Pug - use Federal 200 gr LSWC-HP. Same ballistics as .45 ACP in a 20 ounce package hardly larger than a Colt Detective Special

.38 - use Remington, Winchester or Federal 158 grain LSWC. The 158s are dead on at 7 to 15 yards, recoil like .22s with the generous, rubber grips, have low flash in low light conditions and allow you to double tap with rapid, effective accuracy.

+Ps give NO ADVANTAGE in a 2" bbl. Only increase blast, flash, recoil and effective follow up shot recovery

Two, 700 fps 158 grain .357" cookie cutter slugs placed a couple of inches apart, well placed in rapid succession are better than ONE 800 fps 125 grain +P that will leave you flash blinded at night with your ears ringing and unable to escape or continue to fire effectively for 2 minutes afterward
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Pink Bitch?? You're kiddin', right?
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope!

The gun is actually marked "PINK BITCH" on the left side of the barrel.

Not all of them have that. Most say "PINK LADY"

Best little .38 I've ever shot.

http://www.gunblast.com/Charter-PinkB.htm

(Mine is a standard, Right Hand gun)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top