Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2008 8:27:18 AM EDT
no dont get worried guys. i didnt blow up my revolver. but i was wondering if anyone was stupid or careless enough to have done so. im not a reloader yet, i was just looking at my .460 and, man that thing is huge! it would really take something to rupture it. has anyone seen any photos (factory R&D or otherwise)? thanks beforehand
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one I saved from a thread awhile back....lemme see if I can find it.

BRB

OK so it's not an X-frame, it's an Anaconda, but still.....

ETA:  This is not my pistol!!!

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Christ! Double charge of powder or blockage?  Inquiring mind wants to know.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#3]
22 gr. of Bullseye behind a squib stuck in the bore might do that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Knowing how heavy an Anaconda is, I would hate to see what that guy's hand looked like after that....

Then knowing how stout a 460 is, I would really hate to see someone's hand after detonating one of those.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
22 gr. of Bullseye behind a squib stuck in the bore might do that.

+1
Very fast powders can cause Really Bad Things to happen, so can squibs.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got one I saved from a thread awhile back....lemme see if I can find it.

BRB

OK so it's not an X-frame, it's an Anaconda, but still.....

ETA:  This is not my pistol!!!

Hmm...so that's where my brass went. I wonder if they make a re-sizer for that...
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't remember the story for sure, but IIRC the original poster of that pic is a member here.

Also IIRC it was a double charge, that ruptured and set off another round (or maybe 2) in the cylinder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
That'll buff right out......................    
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Crazy pic.  Oughta be a sticky in a reloading forum somewhere.......
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I don't remember the story for sure, but IIRC the original poster of that pic is a member here.

Also IIRC it was a double charge, that ruptured and set off another round (or maybe 2) in the cylinder.

yup, that's the story.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
My work buddy and I and all his brood and a few of their friends were out in the desert shooting last year. We were all on line with various firearms; me and my AR, the buddy and his AR, his son's friend with buddys .500 S&W (standing immediately to my right!) all shooting at once. Suddenly my right ear registers a VERY loud concussion, even through my muffs AND plugs! I look over and here stands this 16YO kid with the .500 about 60 degrees to the sky, the top strap is pointing a complete  90-degrees up and THERE IS NO CYLINDER!!! He is frozen in place because he KNOWS someting just FUBAR'ed big time! Me, I stand there wondering why I am still alive while waves of incredulous excitement pass up and down the line. We ascertain if everyone is whole and alive, and there is only one minor injury; a kid down the line has a piece of steel sliver in his upper arm that bleeds a bit then stops.

We conduct a search for the missing pieces of the gun; 1/2 the cylinder is located in the brush about 50 feet away, the other is never found. Several burst casings are found, including one that looks for all in the world as if the bullet just backed out of the case and went away! Needless to say, that event ended the day's fun (not to mention destroying a $1000 gun!)

We talked about why this happened; his only explanation is that one son helped reload some ammo the night before and might have double-charged a case (WW Titegroup was the powder) by accident. It seems logical, and we are just glad all the kids are safe and no one died. Talk about a SPECTACULAR lesson in attention to detail!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My work buddy and I and all his brood and a few of their friends were out in the desert shooting last year. We were all on line with various firearms; me and my AR, the buddy and his AR, his son's friend with buddys .500 S&W (standing immediately to my right!) all shooting at once. Suddenly my right ear registers a VERY loud concussion, even through my muffs AND plugs! I look over and here stands this 16YO kid with the .500 about 60 degrees to the sky, the top strap is pointing a complete  90-degrees up and THERE IS NO CYLINDER!!! He is frozen in place because he KNOWS someting just FUBAR'ed big time! Me, I stand there wondering why I am still alive while waves of incredulous excitement pass up and down the line. We ascertain if everyone is whole and alive, and there is only one minor injury; a kid down the line has a piece of steel sliver in his upper arm that bleeds a bit then stops.

We conduct a search for the missing pieces of the gun; 1/2 the cylinder is located in the brush about 50 feet away, the other is never found. Several burst casings are found, including one that looks for all in the world as if the bullet just backed out of the case and went away! Needless to say, that event ended the day's fun (not to mention destroying a $1000 gun!)

We talked about why this happened; his only explanation is that one son helped reload some ammo the night before and might have double-charged a case (WW Titegroup was the powder) by accident. It seems logical, and we are just glad all the kids are safe and no one died. Talk about a SPECTACULAR lesson in attention to detail!

Ouch. That is about the only way to blow up a 500S&W outside of a squib. Using magnum powders you can't double charge. I thought about loading lighter 500 "Special" rounds using faster powders but I didn't buy this gun for light shooting either.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#13]
He kept what pieces we found plus the mangled frame. I asked him to either photo it or let me. I have yet to see a single picture. What an object lesson!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top