Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2008 7:38:23 PM EDT
I guess the first question is how much of a pain in the ass is .44 magnum out of a 4 5/8 barrel.

It is a new production 4 5/8 barrel length .44 Magnum with the older frame size not the new smaller frame size.

Here it is
www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=BNV474-C&index=2&mfg=Ruger&mdl=Vaquero&cat=1&type=Revolver&cal=All&fin=All&sit=Fixed&pid=
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 7:45:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
No pictures yet the camera took a crap.

I guess the first question is how much of a pain in the ass is .44 magnum out of a 3 ¾ barrel.

I'm sure it won't be too bad.

You'll be able to take us some pictures once the bandages come off your hands.

Link Posted: 5/18/2008 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#2]
It is my first revolver so I am starting from scratch in terms of looking for a leather holster as well.  I see a lot of googling in my future to find a leather holster I like.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
from the link provided, the bbl is 4.625" not 3.75"

regular 44s shoulnd tbe a problem, but i bet hotter loads will be fun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#4]
When you say "old sized frame", do you mean "original" size frame? Or do you mean "Old Vaquero" size?

The early Blackhawks had a Colt SAA size grip frame(XR3), but New Model blackhawks had the larger XR3-RED grip frame, which was also used on the "Old Model" Vaquero's.

The "New Model" Vaquero uses the same grip frame size as the early Blackhawks, the XR3.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Those guns are dangerous, and kick like bee-stung mules...

So I'll take it off of your hands, cheap of course
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
wear shooting gloves, your gonna need them
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When you say "old sized frame", do you mean "original" size frame? Or do you mean "Old Vaquero" size?

The early Blackhawks had a Colt SAA size grip frame(XR3), but New Model blackhawks had the larger XR3-RED grip frame, which was also used on the "Old Model" Vaquero's.

The "New Model" Vaquero uses the same grip frame size as the early Blackhawks, the XR3.

What he has is a Vaquero with the large frame. I have the same in 45Colt.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:06:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When you say "old sized frame", do you mean "original" size frame? Or do you mean "Old Vaquero"

They recently changed Vaquero size.  The frames on the newest ones are smaller.  This frame is the previous Vaquero size

Quoted:
from the link provided, the bbl is 4.625" not 3.75"

Yeah I know that damn internet never has the exact picture you need.   Mine is 4 5/8 I was being a dumb ass and measuring from the end of the frame and not the beginning of the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yeah I know that damn internet never has the exact picture you need.   Mine is 3 ¾

Like this ?

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, but with the wood grips.  So about that 44mag out of a short barrel?
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, I shot some Buffalo Bore 45COLT (260GRN,1450FPS) out of mine and it was a handful but nothing that couldn't be handled (unless you are a girly-man, of course. )
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a Bisley Blackhawk cut down to 3 1/2" by Gary Reeder. I've shot some very warm .45 Colt rounds out of it.

You know you are shooting a large bore, but its not too bad.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:25:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I shot some Buffalo Bore 45COLT (260GRN,1450FPS) out of mine and it was a handful but nothing that couldn't be handled (unless you are a girly-man, of course. )

I have a 4 5/8 Blued Blackhawk and that has the alloy grip frame.  I decided to be macho and try a round of 335-gr Hardcast 45lc ammo from Double Tap out of it....

That son-a-beech about chew my middle finger free of my hand...

I have shot the same load from my heavier 7.5-inch 45lc and 454 Cassull super Redhawk with 7.5-in barrel but out of that shorty the recoil and twist in my hand was not like anything I had shot before.  

Really hot "Ruger Only" 45-Colt loads will chew you up with a lightweight gun.  Hell, I tried it exacty once and I don't plan to do it again!  I would rather shoot heavy loads out of my 454 Cassull as that recoil is much easier to control then a grip you can only hold with three fingers!
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he has is a Vaquero with the large frame. I have the same in 45Colt.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/wetidlerjr/Colt%201911/RUGER45LC041506001Small.jpg

That's what I thought, wasn't for certain.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I fired a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk with full house loads. I didn't care for it at all. The factory stocks are too small for my hand + the shape of the trigger guard makes it more unpleasant.

My Blackhawk is chambered in .45 Colt and wears a Hogue monogrip. It's huge, but heavy loads don't punish me like they would with the factory wood stocks.

Pictured with S&W 29-2

Link Posted: 5/26/2008 6:07:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a .45 Blackhawk with that same barrel length. I learned a long time ago that if your grip is wrong, your trigger and middle finger are in for much pain. If you curl your pinky under the bottom of the grip, and allow the gun to rotate up when you fire it, heavy loads can be handled quite painlessly. Try holding it in a "death grip" and or trying to minimize muzzle flip, and you will feel the pain. I have done many practice sessions of 100 or so rounds of the hot loads without pain or injury. I would suggest shooting .44 Special ammo in it at least until you get used to the gun, but don't be afraid of shooting it with full strength .44 mag ammo. Just takes practice. Oh, and a shooters glove might be most helpful too.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the ruger vq in 45LC,  I love it,  I've found, when shooting it, place the little finger at the bottom of of the grip, allowis it to roll without wacking your middle finger on the trigger guard.

Its fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a 5 1/2" model 44 mag.  It isn't that bad shooting only a 10 15 rounds but if you shoot more it will be felt.  I replaced my wooden grips with some from pachmyer and it took alot of the pain out of it.  Kinda takes away from the "classic" look but it makes it more comfortable/practical, which is more important to me than the looks.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:56:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Confirming what others have said about letting the handgun rotate in your hand.

The upper edges of the grip frame can be sharp and will whack the joint on your thumb when it rotates.  Gloves help with that.

Also if you cup the base of the grip with your off hand the rotating grip will whack it nicely.

I shoot hot 45 Colt loads in the same size frame in a Blackhawk and once you give up on trying to keep the muzzle down it's quite fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/27/2008 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
nice pistol.
I own and shoot several SB 44's. this ammo keeps my shooting fun;

I use 44 special 200 gr (cowboy load)for practice and play. at shows, around >20$ for 50 rds. very low recoil!
they also sell a GDJHP for a few dollars more that shoots same POI as my more expensive self defence round.
I buy these two from Georgia arms at local shows. They are are on the net also.
My carry ammo is Speer golddot; 44Mag 200 gr GD short barrel HP. Good penetration, mild recoil, little to no flash,excellent expansion. I buy this ammo from ammunition to go.
Hope this helps.  YMMV
-V

Link Posted: 6/27/2008 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I would run a 4 5/8 S/A Ruger chambered fopr the 44 Magnum to 1250 fps with a 320 cast, your problem will not be strength but a lack of adjustable sights.
BTW there are no S/A Rugers chambered for the 44 Magnum built on the small or midsize frame, they are either built on the original 44 BH frame (large) introduced in 1955 or the New Model (also large) introduced in 1974.
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I shot Winchester white box out of my 5 1/2, and only time I need gloves is when its below 32 degrees.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:45:55 PM EDT
[#23]
The 4 5/8" barrel Vaquero bucks pretty good in 44 Mag. After 2 or 3 cylinders of full power ammo my wrist gets sore from the recoil and twisting. Like the shorter barrel for handling. This particular one is a limited model with gold engraved cylinder flutes and fake ivory grips. Supposedly only 200 of this caliber, finish and barrel length were made in this non-catalog run.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top