Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2003 9:28:16 AM EDT
I need a good .357 revolver for the ranch.  Was considering something with a 4 or 6 inch barrel.  The Ruger GP-100 series looked good since their price is competative and the few rugers I own are solid firearms.

Anyone have positive/negative experiences with these revolvers?
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've owned one.  It was more than accurate enough and very stout.  I doubt you'll be abel to wear it out in your lifetime.  The only problem was it was VERY heavy.  Especially if you're carrying it around all day on your hip, like you sound like you may plan on doing.  The Trigger is typical Ruger, i.e. not great and never will be, but good enough for a working gun.

I got rid of mine because it weighed too much.  I own a Ruger Speed-six in 4" (my GP-100 was a 4" also) and the weight difference is huge.  I kept the older Speed-six and ditched the GP-100.  

Nothing wrong with the gun really, just a tad heavy.

Ross
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.
Weight might be an issue since I hike around the ranch quite a bit.  Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Although I don't own one, I have seen a bunch of them in 9 years of teaching CCW classes. I also have a good friend who sometimes shoots one in competition. My friend's experience is that it shoots best with heavy to maximum loads.

They are not very elegent, and far from pretty but I doubt if you can break one. Ruger has the market on durable revolvers pretty well sewed up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Papagallo,
I own one, shoot it often, and really like it. Highly recommended!
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 6:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
A smith mades a clinking noise, a Ruger is more of a clunk.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an older 1987 made 6" security six half shroud and it's a pretty deceant gun for the $$ roughly half that of the S&W's I was lookin at gettin. The sec six model I have is now called the GP160 model..
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 9:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a GP100 (357, stainless, 4", full shroud, adjustable sights).  It's a lot of gun for the money.  I replaced the grip with a Hogue monogrip and put some Wolff reduced-power springs in it (both are pretty cheap) and they made a big improvement.

I've shot IDPA and bowling pins with it and it's never let me down.  Plus you can pound nails with it -- try doing that with a Smith <g>.

jafager
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have an older 1987 made 6" security six half shroud and it's a pretty deceant gun for the $$ roughly half that of the S&W's I was lookin at gettin. The sec six model I have is now called the GP160 model..

To the best of my knowledge, Ruger stopped making the Security-Six some time between 1982 and 1984.  The GP-100 is a different gun from the Security-Six in several respects, not the least of which is size.  A Security-Six is best described as a K-Frame gun, while the GP-100 compares to an L-Frame.  The grip frames between the two are different, as are the grips that are available for them.  

The cylinder locks up differently between the two of them, as well.  It locks up at the back on both of them, as all DA revolvers do.  The Security-Six locks at the front, but locks on end of the ejector rod.  The GP-100 actually locks up at the front of the cylinder crane, IIRC (mine is at home, I'm at work).

Also, the cylinder of the Security-Six can be easily removed by unscrewing the ejector rod (I think it has left-handed threads).  This will not work on the GP-100.

I, by the way, own both a GP-100 (KGP-161) and a stainless Security-Six.  Both have 6" barrels, and my GP has the full length underlug.  If I had to carry one all day every day, I'd probably go for the Security-Six, but a 4" would be better than my 6".  If you do decide on a GP, go with a KGP-140, as it has the half shroud.  If you're going to shoot it as much as or more than you carry it, a full underlug KGP-141 or -161 would do well.  They do make a 3" GP-100, the GP330 (stainless models of KGP-330 and KGP-331 also available), which might make a better gun to carry around.  The 3" models are fixed sight only, though, so you'll probably have to play around with it until you find ammo that shoots where you want it to.

As far as positive/negative experiences, the only bad thing I can say about my GP is that it doesn't seem to like light bullets, even running them all out.  Anything over 140 grains it does pretty well.  Aside from that, they are heavy, but it will stand up to a steady diet of full power loads and still last longer than you will.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Papagallo, you might want to consider the Ruger SP101 if weight is an issue.  I believe it only comes in 3" or less and is made for concealment so it is a five-shot model.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Everybody has an opinion,here is mine . Rugers are
stronger than s&w's and s&w's have way better
triggers than rugers. I have owned lots of both
and still do . For carry consider a sp101 If you
can shoot a snubby worth a darn . takes practice
but you would be surprised if you work at it .
For a really nice shooting gun consider a S&W 686,
go for a used one if cash is tight.It is not as
"strong" as the rugers but for any use short of
of outright abuse it will hold up just fine.I
find a 686 with a couple of aftermarket springs
to be a real joy to shoot.The trigger makes all
the difference to me!!  NHSPORT
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 1:24:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To the best of my knowledge, Ruger stopped making the Security-Six some time between 1982 and 1984.  The GP-100 is a different gun from the Security-Six in several respects, not the least of which is size.  A Security-Six is best described as a K-Frame gun, while the GP-100 compares to an L-Frame.  The grip frames between the two are different, as are the grips that are available for them.  

The cylinder locks up differently between the two of them, as well.  It locks up at the back on both of them, as all DA revolvers do.  The Security-Six locks at the front, but locks on end of the ejector rod.  The GP-100 actually locks up at the front of the cylinder crane, IIRC (mine is at home, I'm at work).

Also, the cylinder of the Security-Six can be easily removed by unscrewing the ejector rod (I think it has left-handed threads).  This will not work on the GP-100.

I, by the way, own both a GP-100 (KGP-161) and a stainless Security-Six.  Both have 6" barrels, and my GP has the full length underlug.  If I had to carry one all day every day, I'd probably go for the Security-Six, but a 4" would be better than my 6".  If you do decide on a GP, go with a KGP-140, as it has the half shroud.  If you're going to shoot it as much as or more than you carry it, a full underlug KGP-141 or -161 would do well.  They do make a 3" GP-100, the GP330 (stainless models of KGP-330 and KGP-331 also available), which might make a better gun to carry around.  The 3" models are fixed sight only, though, so you'll probably have to play around with it until you find ammo that shoots where you want it to.

As far as positive/negative experiences, the only bad thing I can say about my GP is that it doesn't seem to like light bullets, even running them all out.  Anything over 140 grains it does pretty well.  Aside from that, they are heavy, but it will stand up to a steady diet of full power loads and still last longer than you will.

I checked the serial # on  Ruger's website and it said 1987 for mine and it  to showed 1988 as the last year for the sec 6.. FWIW
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#12]
hrm....Interesting.  I learnt something there...  According to Ruger's website, you're right, sorry.  Also, Ruger started making the GP-100 in 1986 (I thought it was '85, shame on me).  That means that for a period of 2 years, they made both guns.  Of course, that may not be the case either.  The dates they show there are the dates shipped, not the dates manufactured.  So you're right.  Thanks for pointing that out.  

Sturm, Ruger does not produce firearms in serial number order. There are occasions when blocks of serial numbers have been manufactured out of sequence, sometimes years later. Also, within a model family the same serial number prefix may be used to produce a variety of different models, all in the same block of serial numbers. And in some cases, models may be stored for a length of time before they are shipped.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Ive owned one for about 3 yrs,Ive come to the conclusion that the revolver is a good working revolver,but its just not suited for me,I believe that size may be a fact(stock grips)

Just my 2 bits
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:39:21 PM EDT
[#14]
My father has one and he absolutely loves it!  I have shot it once and loved it.  I'm not trigger expert, but I found the trigger pull to be smooth and it broke right about when I expected it to.  My best friend also has one and he swears by it.  Both my father and my pal have 4 inch barrels and enjoy them.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:24:30 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW-

I've had two of them.  Bought a new KGP-161 (6" barrel, stainless steel with full under-lug) back in early '91.  The gun was VERY accurate and had a decent (not fantastic) trigger pull.  One of my best friends had a 6" S&W 686 at the time --- the Ruger always performed as good or better than his S&W on paper (group sizes).  Another friend decided he HAD to have my Ruger and offered me a good enough price to let him have it.  

Bought the second one (another KGP-161) in early '93.  The action wasn't as smooth and trigger pull wasn't as good as the first one I had.  Installed Wolff reduced power mainspring and trigger return spring and carefully honed surfaces on the internals before firing the first shot from that gun.  It is definitely on par with the first one accuracy wise, the action is quite smooth and the trigger pull is light and clean-breaking.  I've had this gun for over 10 years now and still love it!  

Don't know how good current production is on the Rugers.  I've seen several at gun shows that looked pretty poor as far as fitting of the parts goes (mainly single actions).  You know how it goes --- hand fitting of parts costs money and the manufacturers try to avoid if possible.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Security Six, and it is a comfortable thing to shoot and wear all day.  Prices are very reasonable:  Although there is one locally being advertised at $350, I picked mine up for $150 with the original box.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#17]
One more +1 for the Gp-100.
I traded mine off to a board member last month, but thats because I got a good deal on a S&W 586. The 586 is much more refined w/a better trigger, but the Gp100 was built like a tank.
If I had to take only one, I'd take the GP100 just because of the durability. Add Wolff springs and a better grip and you have a great working wheelgun that will shoot full house loads for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ive owned one for about 3 yrs,Ive come to the conclusion that the revolver is a good working revolver,but its just not suited for me,I believe that size may be a fact(stock grips)

Just my 2 bits

If the grip was too big for you, you can order the grips from the 3" models, which are smaller, and they will fit the 4"+ models.  Also, Hogue makes a MonoGrip for the GP, if you prefer that.  You already noted it is a good gun, just didn't fit you right.  Things can be done to make them fit better, if you ever decide you want another one.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my 2 bits

If the grip was too big for you, you can order the grips from the 3" models, which are smaller, and they will fit the 4"+ models.  Also, Hogue makes a MonoGrip for the GP, if you prefer that.  You already noted it is a good gun, just didn't fit you right.  Things can be done to make them fit better, if you ever decide you want another one.  Just a thought.

Ill keep that in mind
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is my two cents,
I've owned many revolvers. I owned a Security Six back in the mid 70's in Alaska. GOOD SHOOTER, but I would recommend a good used S&W. If you can afford new one, DO IT!!! Weight is not the issue and reliabilty isn't either. Rugers are good guns. They are heavier and so are the triggers....  S&W have their reputation as being the best revolvers on the market. I agree....I own a Model 19 4inch Nickel right now and I LOVE IT!!!!
Go with S&W!!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 4" GP100 that I have added Hogue grips, Wolffe springs 10lb/10lb, Meprolight adjustable sights, and a TK Custom moonclip conversion.  I carry it in a Safariland paddle holster and use a BladeTek to carry spare loaded moonclips.  I think it will give a S&W PC 686/586 a run for its money.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I also have a 4" GP100 stainless.  To me, most wheel guns are butt ugly, but this one, with the full shroud, and wood inserts on the grips looks pretty beautiful.  I've found it to be very accurate.  It's built like a tank, too! I need to get the dremel to the back edge of the trigger and the trigger guard... they have a tendency to catch and pinch my finger a little.  The trigger is crisp, but I think I'll have to try the Wolff springs to see if I can lighten it up a little bit.  

I'd recommend them.  Sturdy, reliable, accurate... maybe not as nice a trigger as the S&W, but still good!  I love mine!

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#23]
OK, I'll join in. I have one in 6". I LOVE that Ruger grip... it just fits my hands really well. Even the petite SP-101 grip feels good to me, though I disagree with it as a choice for a regular carry gun. The sights (or lack thereof) make this great little gun a very good choice for concealment, but very tough to shoot accurately at any kind of distance at all.

Mine like all Rugers has a so-so trigger and shoots really - really good groups, so what does the trigger really matter?

If weight is an issue, there are a ton of other choices, but for tough, long term, duty accuracy revolver there are few better choices. I won't sell mine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a SP101 and think it's a great gun in terms of weight and shootability. But for your purposes, I would seriously look a titanium Taurus Tracker in 357. It weighs only 24oz, has a 4 inch barrel, adjustable sights and a 7 shot capacity.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:06:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Sheesh people the weight isnt that bad at all.  The 4" model weighs about as much as a full size 1911.  The revolver is probably a tad lighter when loaded.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#26]
It was the writer who stated:
"Weight might be an issue since I hike around the ranch quite a bit", thus all the responses including weight.

Sheesh!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
If we compare apples to apples:

A S&W Mod. 686 w/ 4 inch full underlug barrel weights 40 ounces.

A Ruger GP-100 Mod # KGP-141 w/ 4 inch full underlug barrel weights 41 ounces.

Not as big a difference as we were leg to believe.  If You compare apples to oranges and quote a S&W Mod. 66 w/ 1/2 shroud 4" barrel the difference is only four ounces.

If you are willing to go with fixed sights the Ruger can be had in the same configuration as the Mod. 66 for the same weight of 37 ounces.

BTW My wife has a GP-100 w/ 6 inch barrel and non-underlugged barrel.  She chose this because the grip fit her smaller hand the best.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:22:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I have had a good number of 357's and still have my KGP-141 (4" stainless with adj. sights and full lug). The carry weight is just about the same as a gov't model 1911. Accuracy is excellent. The trigger will smooth up with useage. I rate them as the best 357 on the market. I also have its little brother, the SP-101. That is one great snubby.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:25:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Well what did you buy?  Here is a picture of my Ruger Redhawk in .44 and my 4" GP100.

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#30]
years ago I owned a GP100 with a four inch barrel; the weight was never an issue for me however the heavy DA trigger pull was and so that's why I sold the gun. I don't miss it but the GP's are excellent series of handguns

It was a good shooter; due to the weight and full lug full power 357 felt like 38....

I agree with the post that there isn't much weight difference between the 686s and GP100s... however most people perceive the 686 to be a lot lighter that it really is because it is graceful looking. The GP100 looks like they craved it out of  slab of steel and has that bulky, boxy  "I'm heavy" look to it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 5:51:40 AM EDT
[#31]
I will go along with Ross's assessment. The Ruger is a very good working gun. Regards, Richard:D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top