Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2003 9:37:22 AM EDT
Recommendations from anyone with knowledge of single action revolvers.
What are your impressions of American Western Arms single action, U.S. Fire Arms single action, and the Colt Cowboy?  Woul dlike to get Colt SAA, but thought I would investigate the lower priced options first.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Ruger Vaquero and a Uberti.  I love them both, although the Uberti shoots better!

edited to add pic!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking of getting an AWA Peacekeeper right now.  It is about as close to a "real" Colt SAA as you can get --- at a price that's truly affordable.  

Have also considered the Colt Cowboy and Ruger Vaquero, but since I want something as authentic to the original as possible I ruled them out.  They both have transfer bar ignition and the action isn't like the original Colt.  

Not an expert on these guns --- just throwing in my opinions!    
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just read a report in 'Gun Tests' magazine and the Rodeo was rated highest, followed closely by the AWA Peacekeeper. The Rodeo has a very dull, plain finish but was only $400.

Their take on the Colt's is ... why spend 2 to 3 times as much for a gun that AWA or Uberti can give you - and they are good shooters.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 4:49:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Ruger is a work horse, like timex is takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Ive never shot a American Western Arms saa but i do have a lot of experience with rugers and colts.....

The Vaquero has a fatter grip than the SSA so it handles recoil a bit better. To me shooting a 250Gr flat nose in a Vaquero feels like  shooting a 200Gr flat nose in an SSA.
aka very mild

The SAA also has a bigger ejection rod knob than the Vaquero. IMO Ruger messed up when they put that tiny stud on the end of the rod. Eject a few hundred rounds on a Vaquero and you will know what i mean.

Another quirk about the vaquero's is their cylinder indexing.

On an SSA or clone the timing notches are right on the money  with the loading gate when extracting empties.
On a Vaquero you have to move the cylinder in between notches to line it up with the gate to extract a shell.
A minor pain in the ass but you do notice it.

Then theres the action and trigger.

On a true well built SSA (not necessarily the cowboy) It about as smooth and crisp as it gets. The best way i can describe a vaquero is dull and mushy.

yes you are paying a bit for the name. Yes SAA's do need tune ups versus the maintenance free vaquero.

But hey I'm comparing a Rolex to a Timex here.

One has changed very little in the past 130+ years the other has so many lawyer proof things  built in its almost a pain.

My advise is get one of each

photo left to right top to bottom

1. 38 WCF colt SAA with colt custom shop grips made in 1995

2. limited edition ruger vaquero 45 colt with 45 acp conversion cylinder

3. 45 colt SAA made in 1978

4. 45 colt vaquero with optional fake plastic ivory looking grips

Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Between my daughter and I, we have six Rugers. Two .44mag Vaqueros, two .357mag Vaqueros and 2 fixed sight Old Armies. Never a problem with any of them. I've put Bunkhouse spring kits in all four Vaqueros. Yes, they are all a bit oversized, but they don't break.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a little "FYI" in case anyone is still reading this thread -----

I bought a new AWA Peacekeeper yesterday.  .45 Colt, color case hardened frame and hammer, 4" barrel.  Inspected and cleaned it last night.  Took it to the range today.  This gun is a beauty!  Looks fantastic.  Feels great (very nice, smooth action).  Shoots great (just needs a little material trimmed off the front sight).  If you're looking for an "honest to God" Colt SAA, but don't want to pay the price of admission, seriously consider this gun.

I've had a few Ruger single-actions (still do!) and I can't knock them - have been very good guns for me.  But, they aren't like the original Colts - many differences in the looks and functioning of the guns.  If that's important to you DON'T buy a Ruger!  If you simply want a super tough, reliable single-action that resembles a Colt then by all means do buy a Ruger!!  I've still got a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk with 4-5/8" barrel that I LOVE to shoot heavy magnum loads through (something I can't do with a Colt or a Colt replica!).  Had a few others over the years - never a problem with any of them.

My father is an avid single-action revolver shooter and owns several "non Colt" guns.  Ubertis, Rugers, Armi San Marco, Pietta, Interarms Virginian Dragoon, etc....  He went to the shooting range with me today and was EXTREMELY impressed with the AWA Peacekeeper.  [Hinted several times that I'd better keep an eye on him or he'd take my gun home with him!]  Did some comparing of the fit, finish and shooting performance of my AWA Peacekeeper to a couple of his "non Colt" guns.  The AWA was nicer looking, better fitted, and shot tighter groups.  Nuff said!!

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
luger
The cyl alignment in relationship to the loading gate on the New Model S/A Rugers drives me crazy (as it does many others). I replace the Pawl with the Pawl available from Power Custom which allows the cyl to freewheel both clockwise and counter clockwise while the loading gate is open. It is quite inexpensive and simple to install.
Have a nice evening, Rabon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 11:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
luger
The cyl alignment in relationship to the loading gate on the New Model S/A Rugers drives me crazy (as it does many others). I replace the Pawl with the Pawl available from Power Custom which allows the cyl to freewheel both clockwise and counter clockwise while the loading gate is open. It is quite inexpensive and simple to install.
Have a nice evening, Rabon.

How easy is it to install that power custom pawl?  Is it a drop in replacement part?
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#10]
luger
Good Evening, the freewheel Pawl sometimes drops in and sometimes needs a little cleaning up probably depends on the Revolver as much as anything else. I had a local Smith install my first one, I think the labor portion was around $30.00. If you choose to do your own just be patient and follow the instructions. If you are not familiar with the diassembly and reassembly of your Revolver your owners manual should get you through it. Pay particular attn to the Pawl Spring( it lives in a small hole in the Cyl Frame sandwhiched in by the top left portion of the Grip Frame) it is very easy to mangle while attaching the Grip Frame to the Cyl Frame.
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top