Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 10:56:54 AM EDT
Anyone had an opportunity to try one of these hand cannons?  I have a Super Redhawk in the .480 Ruger, and I thought it was a cannon with app. 1300 lbs of muzzle energy.  The .500 is rated at twice that with app. 2600 lbs.  Good grief!  My .480 dropped a 170 lb. wild boar like a brick.  Imagine what that thing would do.  
Just curious what kind of recoil it had.  It is factory ported to compensate...but still.  I am not a small guy and about two cyliders through the .480 is about all I want.  Not to metion the ammo cost.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#1]
PROBABLY JUST RUIN MORE MEAT.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:38:11 AM EDT
[#2]
NO REALLY ID LOVE TO HAVE ONE.I ALSO HAVE A COLT ANACONDA 8 INCH .44 MAG AND MY NEWEST BIG BAD BOY A SRH LIKE YOURS IN .480 RUGER 7 1/2 INCH .I DO LOVE THESE BIG BOYS.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#3]
It is not a direct comparison, but but I have shot a .500 Linebaugh in a Ruger Blackhawk. From mild to heavy, heavy loads. Luckily for me recoil is not a problem as it really was advertised as much worse than I thought it was.

Keep in mind too that this S&W is HUGE. It is extremely heavy, ported and has what are probably the best recoil reducing grips available. I intend to have one as soon as they become readily available. I too love the big bore handguns!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok is S&W messing with people, they show this gun at the shot show, and months latter no one has one, I was going to get one, now I am thinking they can go screw themselves.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:33:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have not seen one yet either, but then I remember the same thing has happened with quite a few new guns from many manufacturers. Be patient.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#7]
There are two due at a local shop yesterday. I was there (again) before the truck arrived. I am going to try to make it back before the buyers pick them up. This shop has 28 sold sight unseen.

I'll report back.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
yo ,have you seen them delivered YET!???
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I just want to shoot one...once.
I saw a picture of a 50BMG single shot pistol once.  Now that is asking for recoil.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Anybody get one of these dandys yet?

I would like to get the "Hunter" version.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Those two guns were picked up and gone by the time I could get over there. But I will keep trying and let you know if I do actually see one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:38:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Those two guns were picked up and gone by the time I could get over there. But I will keep trying and let you know if I do actually see one.

Did the dealer happen to tell you how much they are selling for?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't ask, but I called back and they are getting $947 for the standard 8 3/8" barreled model and $1389 for the Performance Center's Hunter model with 10 1/8" barrel.

That has GOT to be a load to pack around all day. With 5 rounds and a scope. 5 pounds easy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#14]
you can have the perfomance center 10 incher.god almightl thats UGLEEEEE!Now the standard 8 3/48 incher is right on and exactly what the dr. ordered.
btw,from what ive read the taurus propiatary grips they put on there raging bulls are the best,even better than pacmar decelorators.i have the pacmar decelorators grips on both my anaconda and srh .480.they are abit soft(squish soft) but really to absorb recoil.i keep my custom laminat grips on for show.my anaconda laminated grips are green and look o so cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 10:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I didn't ask, but I called back and they are getting $947 for the standard 8 3/8" barreled model and $1389 for the Performance Center's Hunter model with 10 1/8" barrel.

That has GOT to be a load to pack around all day. With 5 rounds and a scope. 5 pounds easy.

Good grief!  That is a chunk of change!  Have to be damn serious about your handguning to fork that out.  I reckon I will stick with my SRH .480.  I think it will do for just about anything I want.  Any your right about the weight.  Don't know what the SRH weighs with the scope, but I lugged it around up and down the mountain through the timber in a cross body holster.  In the holster wasn't bad, but when we got close on the stalk, I had it out.  Gets pretty heavy after a while.
Here is a little push for the .480 as far as terminal power.  Had been stalking these Russian Hogs all day in conditions previously mentioned.  Heavy timber, dry conditions, no wind what so ever.  They don't see worth a crap, but they can hear and smell very well.  With a scope zero'd at fifty yards, I had two in the sight twice.  They give you about 1.5 seconds to get a shot off before disappearing into the brush.  Not good for me as I am still fairly green with the Ruger and need a little more time.  FINALLY, came on one bedded down in a nest.  If they think they are hid, they don't move.  All I could see was a black spot contrast to the brown underbrush.  Didn't want a pot shot, but figured with that round I could hit him hard enought to slow him down for a second shot placed a little better.  Put the black in the crosshairs and cut down on him.  As it would have it, his ass was directly to me.  The bullet hit him in the right butt cheek, passed through the vitals, and came out his chest right under his front left leg.  He grunted, squeeled, and dragged himself about 4-5 yards before dropping dead.  Lucky for me, the only thing it ruined was one of the inner tenderloins, and of coure the right ham, but on wilds, not much there anyway.  Tore his guts up real bad, but we dressed him and put him down in a shallow running creek fast enough to wash it out without ruining anything.
It was my first kill with the SRH.  Needless to say I was impressed and plan on many future hunts on various game with success.  Just my .02 if your eyeballing one.

The Man in Tan
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok is S&W messing with people, they show this gun at the shot show, and months latter no one has one

I finally got to hold one at a local gun show on Sunday, and I must say it is impressive.  It was sitting next to a 629 Classic with the 8 and 3/8" barrel and the the 500 was massive in comparison.  Not only more than an inch longer, but the frame was just huge in comparison.  I wanted a large caliber, long barrel S & W, and this is definetly going to be the one!
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Saw one at a local gun shop and a friend shot one there.  The recoil was more of a push straight back that hurt the hand between the thumb and finger.

The barrel movement upward was as not as extreme as anticapated.  This was
with 275 Grain Corbon factory loads not the hunting loads.

Smith has a picture posted on his web sight you can download of one being shot, fire and brimstone would be a good title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top