Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2003 8:34:31 AM EDT
I am a semi-auto guy and recently purchased my first revolver. It is a used, stainless 4" model 65-3 in .357 mag. I don't know much about revolvers. Can any of you wheelgunners tell me anything about these guns? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's based on the 'K' frame and is a good gun if you don't feed it a steady everyday diet of 357s. BTY what I mean by a steady diet is over a couple 1000 rounds of 357 a year. The Model 13s and 65s were designed to handle +p/+p+ 38 spec rounds with "duty" use of 357 rds. They have a fixed sight which usually will strike somewhere in the 6'o clock area at 50ft....just wondering does yours have a pinned barrel or not?  
If you want to feed it a daily diet of full power 357 buy a "L" frame or a GP100. If not and you want a good gun for the little lady to use or just to have fun with-- you've made a great purchase...
 Your 65 will probably shoot best with 357 in the 110 gr to 125 gr, incidentally some of the best 357 "manstopper" rounds are in that range. Also these aren't as punishing as the 158 gr 357 rounds
  Get some speed loaders and practice reloading; the safariland models are better that the HKS style.

You have a great gun that will give you years of service and enjoyment. Welcome to the world of wheelguns. Autos are great but everyone who considers themselves a serious shooter should have a least on wheel gun...
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks MHPDblue, I am not sure if it has a pinned barrell. I plan to get a speedloader, and I have already bought  some Bianchi speed strips for a compact reload, as it will probably spend most of its life in my girlfriend's glovebox. I got some Winchester PD 110gr. JHPs and she loves shooting it with that load. Is it an effective defensive load? What is the velocity, as it is not listed in the Winchester ballistic chart? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, the 125gr loads are considered the better .357mag loads for self-defense. There's several mfgrs who make these loads & there's a bit of varience in performance between them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 8:59:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The model 65 is an excellent combat revolver.  The FBI used to issue it in the three inch heavy barreled configuration.  Watch-Six
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top