Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2003 9:56:21 PM EDT
All these darn brass tossers fans are hogging all of the space.

Twin 41 magnums Model 57 and 657.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Although I no longer have one, there is a place in my heart for the underrated .41 mag.
Shooting flatter than it's bigger brother, more meat in the cylinder, less recoil and lower purchase price are just some of the advantages.
Not to mention a built in brass catcher.
My last one was a 657 in 8 3/8ths...it was $300 out the door.
I am still kickin' myself in the buttocks for lettin' it go. [>Q]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about getting a .41 Mag, but for the moment, eating regularly has its charm. How's the availability of reloading components? The same as or worse than the .44 Mag?
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've thought about getting a .41 Mag, but for the moment, eating regularly has its charm.

How's the availability of reloading components? The same as or worse than the .44 Mag?

It's much much much much MUCH more limited.
For example Midway lists 15 bullets for 41 and 80 some for 44

Factory ammunition is similarily limited.  
Example Midway sells 3 41 magnum loads and 27 for 44 magnum (not counting the shotshell load)

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've always .41 was another good cartridge that never caught on. How is it as a (whitetail) hunting cartridge? What do you think the effective range would be for deer?

Nice looking revolvers, by the way.

In my opinion it's a little bit light for big whitetail.

Here is a chart that the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife puts out on Firearms Which Meet Handgun Hunting Regulations.

It says 41 magnum from a revolver is ok for deer but they recommend more than a 4" barrel.
www.wa.gov/wdfw/wlm/game/hunter/handguns.htm

From what I've seen WA deer are a lot smaller than the big whitetails I was used to in Michigan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top