Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2006 1:07:02 PM EDT
Well, I've started to get a little more serious about shooting groups with my .44mag.  One thing I instantly notice is the trigger is not the best.  Especially next to my 686.  

So I'm thinking a trigger job would be nice.

What should I expect to pay?

Might seem like a strange question, but what is the life expecancy of a .44 mag firing mostly full house loads?  I know i've heard reports(stories) that these .454's and .460's simply won't last forever just from the nature of the load (gas cutting,  frame stress, losing it's timing etc.)  Don't know if that's true, or if it applied to a .44 at all.

Thought I'd ask.  I actually planned on doing a trigger job before I even bought the thing as rumor had it the triggers were sub-par.  But I left it as is.  Now I'm to the point I could appreciate a nice trigger.  

Thanks,
Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the trigger on the SRH so I can't help you there, the SRH will easily take maximum loads and last longer than you will. Flame cutting and erosion can be greatly decreased by getting away from light jacketed bullets. I use a 320 cast in my 44 mags which run 1350 fps (through a 7.5" gun) it is very easy on the gun and the shooter, the same 320 cast at 1400 fps is quite a bit less user friendly but appears to be easy on the gun. A 300 Gr or a 320 Gr. cast at anything over 1300 fps is a very adequate 44 Mag cartridge.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So I'm thinking a trigger job would be nice.

What should I expect to pay?

My neighbor/gunsmith charges 70 bucks for rifles and will make it however you ask (within reason of course).  I would think 70 bucks would get you new springs and a lot of polishing etc..

I put springs and polished everything in my cowboy guns. They are much better than I will ever be.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#3]
this post should follow the one below.wolf spring kit less than 12 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
the super red hawk is very,very similar to the modular desighn of the GP100.TO GET A NICE TRIGGER ON THE GP100 get lighter wolf trigger return and hammer springs.same with the srh.dont go too light ,the 480 and 454 and 44 mag need a pretty good walup.is up up 2 spring weights at least.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the super red hawk is very,very similar to the modular desighn of the GP100.TO GET A NICE TRIGGER ON THE GP100 get lighter wolf trigger return and hammer springs.same with the srh.dont go too light ,the 480 and 454 and 44 mag need a pretty good walup.is up up 2 spring weights at least.

I did this to my GP100 and its trigger is way nice now. Worth every penny of your 12$ and the half hour or less to install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top