Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2006 8:41:18 AM EDT
Who has one?  I'm looking for a .44 to hunt deer.  I have a Contender in .44 that kicks like a mule
and the tang busts my knuckles open.  I know the S&W 629 is great, but I have a 686 and want something a little different.  I was reading a previous post here about .44's and am now curious about the SBH.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion the SBH is the standard by which other hunting handguns are judged. Any of the 7.5" SBHs can hit 1400 fps with a 320 cast bullet with very manageable recoil. I personally prefer any of the Gripframes to the Bisley Gripframe and I do like the standard Hunter Gripframe (but this is a personal thing, as many prefer the Bisley Gripframe.) As you probably know the SBH Hunters use the full length barrel rib with a dovetailed front sight, this makes it very simple to shorten the barrel to 6.5" If one wishes to do so) and retain the full length ejector houseing and assy which is from the 10" SBH. The longer ejector rod is a very nice feature as it has enough length to fully eject a spent case clear of the cylinder. On any of my BHs and SBHs I install a free spin Pawl and an oversize base pin and I feel these are about as nice as a Revolver can get. I can't say enough good about them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#2]
A SBH is twice the gun a S&W is, no question. I just bought a Stainless Bisley Hunter SBH, and it is the nicest shooting .44 I've ever owned. I had a S&W 629 full lug stainless .44 some years ago, and that thing would chew my hand like a pit bull, every time I shot it, I'm not even taking my rifle deer hunting this year, just the SBH. Buy it, you won't regret it. I am going to put a Leupold M8 4x scope on mine though, I'm getting older, and a little magnification seems to help.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, this is what I've been hearing.  What are they going for new these days?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#4]

I like the SRH in SS in 44 for deer.  I picked up one this year and put a Burris scope on it.  I got one inch groups with it at 25yds the first time out...and I had never shot a scoped pistol before and it was my second time ever shooting a 44 mag.  My groups are getting smaller and I love the SRH.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A SBH is twice the gun a S&W is, no question. I just bought a Stainless Bisley Hunter SBH, and it is the nicest shooting .44 I've ever owned. I had a S&W 629 full lug stainless .44 some years ago, and that thing would chew my hand like a pit bull, every time I shot it, I'm not even taking my rifle deer hunting this year, just the SBH. Buy it, you won't regret it. I am going to put a Leupold M8 4x scope on mine though, I'm getting older, and a little magnification seems to help.

i think its more a case of a SA as. DA revolvers.the SSA design rolls in the hand insted of slamming into it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top