Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 11:53:15 AM EDT
Just out of curiosity, and to get re-acquainted with my 4" 629 that I had KB'd (and subsequently had repaired) last year, I decided to shoot this past weekend's IDPA match with my boomer rather than my normal IDPA pistol (Glock 22).  First time shooting SSR (Stock Service Revolver), first time really having to shoot or reload under stress, heck this was the first time other than one hunting trip that I had done anything other than plink with my 629.

I finished dead last in SSR, a couple spots from the bottom overall, but I had a good time.

Lessons learned:
- I need a new holster.  I'm looking for a Kydex belt holster...I know Sidearmor makes them for the 629, does Blade-Tech?
- My handloads, a 240gr LSWC over 4.9gr Unique in a .44special case, doing about 800 fps at the muzzle, will work just fine for now.  They hit where I want them to and are very controllable.  That said, I might nudge the velocity a little higher.
- HKS speedloaders work fine.  Stuffing them in my pocket doesn't.
- This is fun.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking forward to carrying mine some, whenthe opportunity arises to wear heavier, more concealing clothing. I think this holster would do nicely for your purposes as well as mine:

Now if I could just settle on a good method for reloads. I'm thinking more and more of having the cylinder cut for moon clips, since they would be smaller and probably faster than speedloaders.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#2]
.44 SPL is a damn good cartridge
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
.44 SPL is a damn good cartridge

+1, I'm a fan.

Anybody know where I could find a good 4" 624 for less than a fortune?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah! I love 44spl. I've got an out-of-production L-frames 5-shot S&W 3" SS 696 and 2 1/8" Ti-cyl/Al-frame 296.  The 296 is a bitch to shoot because it is really super light and kicks like a mule.

The only problem is that 44spl cases cost quite a bit, but then I don't have to buy them very often.  I buy them from Shooting Star, who is a vendor many major pistol ammo mfg'rs.  I toured their manufacturing facility in Santa Fe Springs CAlif(15 miles southeast of Los Angeles) before there moved to Sadelia MO.  And they have headstamp dies for all of the biggies.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I got 300 .44special cases in a trade a few years back, and they're on their 2nd or 3rd loading each.  I also periodically buy some new factory ammunition or cases when Midway has them on sale, so I'm not hurting for cases.

And of course, using a semi-unique caliber among all the 9mm and .40cal at the match helps me find my cases on the ground after the match.  Thankfully the range folks are cool with that, I don't know what I'd do if they had a it-hits-the-ground-you-lost-it policy.

FWIW, my carry load in .44spec is the Speer Gold Dot 200gr.  And now back to searching for a new holster....
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Bonk2029: Actually since you have a real S&W 629, you do not a 44spl gun, you can load all of your ammo with 44mag cases, just that you've got to note that this 44spl and not 44mag.  I've loaded 11.0 grains of Unique using 44Mag brass for my friend's S&W 629 revolver, not too bad shooting, but definitely too strong for a 44spl gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I got 300 .44special cases in a trade a few years back, and they're on their 2nd or 3rd loading each.  I also periodically buy some new factory ammunition or cases when Midway has them on sale, so I'm not hurting for cases.

And of course, using a semi-unique caliber among all the 9mm and .40cal at the match helps me find my cases on the ground after the match.  Thankfully the range folks are cool with that, I don't know what I'd do if they had a it-hits-the-ground-you-lost-it policy.

FWIW, my carry load in .44spec is the Speer Gold Dot 200gr.  And now back to searching for a new holster....

If it's in a revolver why do you not just eject the shells in your hand, or are you doing defensive shooting drills?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it's in a revolver why do you not just eject the shells in your hand, or are you doing defensive shooting drills?

I think Bonk2029 is playing IDPA games, where speed component essential, ie the faster the reload the higher your score.  So you just eject the empties on the ground and retrieve them after your match.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been looking forward to carrying mine some, whenthe opportunity arises to wear heavier, more concealing clothing. I think this holster would do nicely for your purposes as well as mine:

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/PMK_small.jpg

Now if I could just settle on a good method for reloads. I'm thinking more and more of having the cylinder cut for moon clips, since they would be smaller and probably faster than speedloaders.

Where can I get that holster??
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:48:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You can shoot 44 spl out of a 44 mag, right????
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:21:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, if you can't, I've been doing someting wrong for years.

Just make sure to clean the chambers after shooting specials, before you shoot magnums again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/PMK_small.jpg

Where can I get that holster??

Link

But there's a 12-16 week backorder. You can pay a little more from Here and get it this week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]

I think Bonk2029 is playing IDPA games, where speed component essential, ie the faster the reload the higher your score.  So you just eject the empties on the ground and retrieve them after your match.

Yup, IDPA, or as close to IDPA as the local club wants to play.  Round count for each stage is usually between eight and twelve shots (been averaging 70 shots/match), so it's at least one reload every time I step up.  I let the speedloader and ejected brass fall wherever, pick up the speedloader after the stage and the brass at the end of the match.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if you can't, I've been doing someting wrong for years.

Just make sure to clean the chambers after shooting specials, before you shoot magnums again.

If you need to clean your chambers after shooting specials you need to load with a cleaner burning powder.  Never had a problem shooting magnums after specials in my Dan Wesson.  I usually load with Blue Dot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I also clean my chambers with a nylon .45acp brush after shooting a load of .44specials.  It's just a hair bigger, which I find grabs the crud a little better than the .44 brush.  Probably overkill, but it works for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top