Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
I dont know why but lately I have had this fascination with cowboy shooting.  Too many movies I guess.  I really like the look of the old cap and ball revolvers(1860 Army colt, Navy ect.) but dont like the idea of black powder.  Does anyone have anyexperience with a Ruger Vaquero or can point me in the right direction for an cap and ball 'style' cartridge pistol?

Best Regards,
BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my Vaquero, but I also have a Uberti that I like alot.  Both shoot very well, but the Uberti is just a little better!

There a tons of cowboy guns on the market now.  You can't go wrong with a Vaquero.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:25:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My Bisley Vaquero in .357 is a shooter.  Bought it at a cowboy gun shop.  Had an action job  and a free floating cylinder job done...both v.nice touches.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Vaquero but it was much heavier than the Colt/Uberti/AWA breed.  The Vaquero is built to take much heavier loads than the original Colt designs.  For fit and feel, Colt is hard to beat but the price will obviously get you.  Uberti is a good line.  I heard that at one time, they actually made Colt's pistols for them.  I've also heard good things about AWA (American Western Arms).
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had a Vaquero but it was much heavier than the Colt/Uberti/AWA breed.  The Vaquero is built to take much heavier loads than the original Colt designs.  For fit and feel, Colt is hard to beat but the price will obviously get you.  Uberti is a good line.  I heard that at one time, they actually made Colt's pistols for them.  I've also heard good things about AWA (American Western Arms).

Ruger has a new Vaquero on the market with the XR-3 grip frame and it is much lighter than the previous ones.  I have big hands, so I like the original design Vaqueros.  I have two Ubertis and three Rugers and have shot the heck out of all of them.  Spring kits are all I have changed to make the triggers more manageable.  The Uberti line is an accurate clone of the 1973 Colt, that is not too expensive to take out and use.  The grip is smaller and the trigger is very narrow.  This makes it a little bit harder for me to shoot accurately, but is still manageable.

As far as cap and ball, the Ruger Old Army is built like a battle ship, but the 1858 styled Uberti is a much lighter option.  I have both and I like the Uberti better.  The Uberti comes in .44 and .36.  Both are great shooters.  

You would be lucky to find a Colt for under $1000.  A new one will be extremely rough and will take a bit of work to make reliable and shootable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been looking around a little more at the Uberti line.  Does anyone have any experience with the 1875 Frontier?  This has the 'look' that I am gong for.  
Thanks,
BJohnson
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that US Firearms is a great alternative to Colt.  Most of their guns are expensive but the fit and finish is second to none.  I have the Rodeo version. The fit and finish is the same but it has a matte black finish instead of the case hardening.  Check them out they are at least worth a look.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:10:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I concurr with USFA being one of the best avail.The matte finish bothered my on My Rodeo,so I stripped it and Antiqued it till I can afford to have it Metalifed.Looks lok an old original not.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]
What about American Western Arms? Has anyone used one of those?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top