Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 2:31:58 PM EDT
I've got a Colt Single Action Frontier Scout.  The gun is quite accurate--I love it.  I aquired it from an Uncle and I don't really know how to strip the thing.  I have no idea where to start and I've been looking for a manual or instructions all over the web to no avail.  If anyone can point me in the right direction, or give me a good lesson in field stripping this thing, it would be awesome.  I've included a couple of pictures.

http://www.jeffmcclay.com/colt1.jpg

Barrel Detail:
http://www.jeffmcclay.com/colt2.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be able to push the screw in on the right side of the frame in front of the cylider.  At the same time pull the rod out that the cylinder rotates around.  That is as far as I can help.  I hope this is helpful.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownell's has a schematic for a 3d Generation SAA on their site.  That's a big help.

I've been working on a 1st Generation for a few months now, so I feel your pain.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You should be able to push the screw in on the right side of the frame in front of the cylider.  At the same time pull the rod out that the cylinder rotates around.  That is as far as I can help.  I hope this is helpful.

This is as far as you should go for normal cleaning.  Not flaming you but, if you have to ask on an interent board you shouldn't go any further.

ETA: If you want to make a bunch of small pieces out of it (assuming it is similar to the Peacemaker, I've never dissassembled a Frontier Scout so this could be slightly off) start with the grip screws, then the back grip frame screws, then the mainspring screw (If leafspring mainspring), followed by the triggerguard screws,  then the trigger and bolt spring screw, and finally the hammer and trigger/bolt screw.  Reassemble in reverse order.

ETA: I just looked at it again and it has a one piece grip frame so it probably has a coil spring and the grip frame and trigger guard do not come off in two pieces.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming it comes apart like I think it does, pull the hammer back to half-cock.  Open the loading gate.  Locate the screw in the frame that is just ahead of the cylinder when the gun is positioned like it is in the first picture, it should be spring loaded.  With this depressed pull straight out on the cylinder pin which the cylinder rotates around.  It's located right under the barrel.  Now move the cylinder out through the side with the loading gate.  As was said earlier, this is really as far as you need to go to clean it.  If you want detailed instructions on how to dismantle it completely, get a copy of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly: Revolvers.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#6]
A COLT FRONTEIR SCOUT SA is no SAA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top