Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 4:46:00 PM EDT
I have a model 1917 S&W revolver in 45 ACP. It has the Brazil stamp on the side and 1937 printed below it. According to the blue book, 25000 were sold to Brazil in 1937.

It looks like it's been refinished over a good deal of pitting. BB puts 80% at $250. Do you agree? Also, I'm supposed to add 100% if it's a "non-import". How the heck do I tell that? I have a couple of pictures here, but I couldn't get one to turn out that showed the Brazillian stamp.  I didn't see the word "import" anywhere.

thanks guys

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=35079258/a=35891482/t_=35891482
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi, this is a tough question, maybe answered better on the S&W forum.  Many would tell you that gun in the condition you described it in is worth $200-250 tops.  But...those guns were re-imported into the US in the 80's by I think Southern Ohio Gun, and were selling them for that price then, and with inflation on guns being what it is, and this being 2005, 20 years later one would think you could get $400.00 for it, easy.

Don't know one way or the other, but here is something to think about.  I was at a Des Moines Iowa gun show last year (notorious for having just junk shotguns and worn out deer rifles), and a fellow had a Brazilian marked 1917 S&W in the same shape.  I looked at it, liked it, but passed on it.  He was asking $300.00.   Later in the day I saw the same fellow sans pistol.  I asked him what he got for it, $200.00 was his reply.  

Later I saw the same gun he'd sold to one of the dealers, and he had it out on the table, with a price tag of $650.00

The blue book is just a guide, and one that is outdated at best!  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys.  I did post this on the S&W forum and got similar answers.  They guessed it would sell for between $250 and $300.  Not sure if I want to get rid of it for that.

thanks again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top