Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 9:00:51 AM EDT
I was curious if anyone can offer any general information on what the approximate life expectancy is for a revolver. I realize that big bores or guns with more pressure / shooting +P loads etc. will shorten it. While no-one can offer an exact round count, has anyone heard an estimation or have some personal experience to share?

I have of course heard of people shooting 10,000 and 20,000 rounds (or more) through 1911's and glocks. Can I expect the same service from a Ruger GP100 .357 SS revolver?

Did a search on google, Yahoo, and AR15.com and couldn't find any info. Sorry if it's a dupe.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have of course heard of people shooting 10,000 and 20,000 rounds (or more) through 1911's and glocks. Can I expect the same service from a Ruger GP100 .357 SS revolver?

The Ruger that doesn't easily get the same service is a rarity. Rugers are freakin' tanks.  SASS shooters routinely put thousands of rounds through their revolvers in a season.  If there's any revolver out there that can stand up to a LOT of shooting, it's any of Ruger's offerings.

R
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
>>Can I expect the same service from a Ruger GP100 .357 SS revolver?<<

It will probably be around long after you are.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
A local gun shop has a S&W 686 357 with over 50,000 rounds through it and it still looks and feels ok.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My .41 Mag Ruger Blackhawk has about 7k-8k magnum level loads thru it.  I've turned the forcing cone into something that looks like 120 grit sand paper, but mechanically it is still fine.  I do have to get it rebareled to get top accuracy from it again, but it will still shoot 8 inch groups at 50 yards.   (It started with 3-4 inch groups at 50)

Kent
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
If you wear out a GP100 you are doing something wrong.  Seriously wrong.

I'm not sure its even possible.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you wear out a GP100 you are doing something wrong.  Seriously wrong.

I'm not sure its even possible.

sounds like a challenge for BigBore!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My S&W mod 14-4 has somewhere in excess of 150K rounds of target load through it, been dryfired God only knows' how much and is so smooth it's almost sensual...Still VERY accurate. No wear I can tell through the bore though the cyl is slightly sloppier. It had to have the firing pin replaced after about 200 rounds (yes, I said 2 HUNDRED rounds,...bad heat treat on the part)..NO replacements otherwise.

Doubt that I'll make it to 500K though lol...Never seen a centerfire semi-auto that would have a chance of comparing.

If you can wear out a Ruger using factory or factory spec ammo...I'd expect it to take somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of rounds...and even then, I bet Ruger would rebuild it for free.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#9]
When your on the business end of a raw deal Im sure youll hope they both dont last longhttp://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/stucky151/DSC019112.jpg
I love my gp100 and hes right it is a tank!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When your on the business end of a raw deal Im sure youll hope they both dont last long
i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/stucky151/DSC019112.jpg

How very "Homey"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When your on the business end of a raw deal Im sure youll hope they both dont last long
i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/stucky151/DSC019112.jpg

Your buddy with the camera is a fool.  Who takes a picture down the barrel of a loaded gun?
Oh, nice trigger discipline, Tupac!  

We can only hope Dawin catches up with you before you shoot someone.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#12]
camera tripod 20 dollars
2 guns 800 dollars
imagining somebody would let me point guns at them...priceless

ps the glock isnt  loaded and there isnt even a mag inserted!  And on the Ruger my finger is behind the trigger
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#13]
And it's STILL "yo-boy"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Probably more rounds than a auto less moving parts when it is fired. A big framed ruger will probably outlast anything.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was curious if anyone can offer any general information on what the approximate life expectancy is for a revolver.

I think the answer is 'it depends'.

My old Smith&Wesson Model 28 has the massive N Frame.  Over 50 years old and no end in site.  But you can't compare that to the much smaller K frame.  

Rugers are good solid pistols.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm working on a Colt SAA that's oh, 130 or so years old.  Some small parts need replacement, one of the screws was stripped, the cylinder bushing was in bad shape, and it needed new springs.  Oh, and the barrel is kind of shot out, but other than that, it's fine.

My somewhat newer Smith & Wessons seem to do fine.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm working on a Colt SAA that's oh, 130 or so years old.  Some small parts need replacement, one of the screws was stripped, the cylinder bushing was in bad shape, and it needed new springs.  Oh, and the barrel is kind of shot out, but other than that, it's fine.

My somewhat newer Smith & Wessons seem to do fine.  

Oh, HELL YEAH!  Let's see some picks KK7SM.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It really depends on the kind of service.  In high-speed IPSC/ICORE type shooting the guns take a real pounding.  If all you do is NRA pistol (a pretty low-speed sport) the gun could last much longer.

I have a 625-8 with 2.5 years and ~25,000 rounds through it in IPSC competition.  I consumed about 4 cylinder stops and 1 cylinder in the process.  The gun is still great and should be good for several more seasons.

I buy guns to use.  My Smiths and Rugers are equal to the tasks I perform.  

It struck me today, as I was walking around a gun show, that there are "shooters" and "collectors".  I know what I am...

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:00:40 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh, HELL YEAH!  Let's see some picks KK7SM.

Well, the cylinder and frame are off to a machine shop to get the cylinder bushing fitted.  If I owned a shop lathe, I could have done that, but for now, I get it off to a machine shop.

I'll be sure to take some photos after it comes back.

Basic scoop:

It's a 4-digit S/N Colt 1st Generation SAA (which puts it square in 1874, IIRC) in .45 Colt.  Been in the family since the 1800s.  It's been refinished at least twice I know of, so that detracts from it some, so we're going to get it back in fully functional mechanical condition.  

Thank goodness for Brownell's and Peacemaker Parts!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Man,
For something like that, I think a trip to Doug Turnbull or Hamilton Bowen would be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I must say, the GP100 is absolutely the sweatest wheelgun I have shot. I like the fact that it is stout and heavy, I shoot .38 special with almost no recoil. Actually, it shoots full powered .357 more comfortably than my old Taurus snubby shot .38 specials! The Taurus ultralight would actually sting the hand a little from time to time.
I would take the Taurus to the range with my 1911, and I feel I could shoot the 1911 all day, but the snubby would start to hurt after a while.

Anyway, the reason that I started this post was I was debating over trading off the Ruger for something else (Glockitis has bit), but after thinking long and hard about it, I figured I will be better off just keeping it or I will kick myself later. I am using it as my primary self defence handgun, and may do some deer hunting with it some day.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:17:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I must say, the GP100 is absolutely the sweatest wheelgun I have shot. I like the fact that it is stout and heavy, I shoot .38 special with almost no recoil. Actually, it shoots full powered .357 more comfortably than my old Taurus snubby shot .38 specials! The Taurus ultralight would actually sting the hand a little from time to time.
I would take the Taurus to the range with my 1911, and I feel I could shoot the 1911 all day, but the snubby would start to hurt after a while.

Anyway, the reason that I started this post was I was debating over trading off the Ruger for something else (Glockitis has bit), but after thinking long and hard about it, I figured I will be better off just keeping it or I will kick myself later. I am using it as my primary self defence handgun, and may do some deer hunting with it some day.

Wise man.  I did the same thing about 8 years ago (traded the GP100 for a Glock...which I traded three years later for a BHP) and ended up buying another GP to replace it (and another Glock.  Now I have all Three! )

Rich
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't know what kind of use my SW Model Ten saw before I got it, but in the last three years it's seen just a tad more than 50,000 in my hands, and it's still tight.  It's missing a lot of its blueing, and it never was the prettiest gun made, when it came out of the factory in the early 60's.  Mine had the pencil barrel, pinned, but the chambers are not recessed.  And the ammo is nearly all full-power reloads, I developed a serious bowling pin addiction several years ago, and fired over 30K in ONE YEAR before my budget constraints finally caught up with me.  All I did for a year was shoot, clean guns, and load ammo.  It was a good year!

Oh, my gun did break a firing pin at about 46.050 rounds.  It was shooting again in a week.  Like I said, I don't know how much it was shot before it was issued to me, but there isn't a whole lot of rifling left in the barrel, I only shoot plated bullets.  

And a Ruger is overbuilt to the point that I don't think you could wear it out unless you beat it to death with massive overloads, and it would STILL take a long time.  As has been said, if you can wreck a Ruger, handloading ammo is NOT for you.  

Papajohn
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
IIRC the two biggest problems that can occur with revolvers (other than from abuse from things like snapping the cylinder open and closed) is the frame can stretch from firing lots of full power magnum loads, and the forcing cone can crack.  The frame stretch was most noticed on S&W Model 19's though.  Ruger's older .357 the Speed (Security?) Six was already pretty beefy, about what a 686 is now, maybe just slightly less, and the GP100 is as stated a tank.  Compare it to a Colt,  S&W, or Taurus.  The forcing cones in the GP100's are also thicker than others, but will probably be the first thing to wear out. It is getting stressed by the bullets hitting it every time it's fired.  That's a simple enough fix though. At worst a barrel change.

I love my GP100.  There was a time when I just had to have a .357 magnum.  The Python was way, too expensive so I picked up the Ruger since I figured I might as well get something that would outlast me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When your on the business end of a raw deal Im sure youll hope they both dont last longhref=i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/stucky151/DSC019112.jpg

Your buddy with the camera is a fool.  Who takes a picture down the barrel of a loaded gun?
Oh, nice trigger discipline, Tupac!  hope

Or reproduce.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top