Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 10:53:28 PM EDT
Well this Christmas the wifey tells me she is sick of trying to figure out my automatics and wants a revolver that she can "aim and squeeze...period"

So being more than happy to have another firearm in the house I says....I'll look into it.

What do you think would be good for her?  She is not petite and can handle herself real well....but I'd like for her to be able to carry it in the purse and be comfortable with it.

Hit me with your thoughts and suggestions.

CS
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]
First, I'd say get a .357 caliber. It shoots both .357 and .38 Special, so it gives options for ammo, plus the .38 Special kicks less.

To fit the purse, obviously a short barrel is what to get. Some people like the really light titanium frames, but I think they are too light and bite the hand when shooting .357. If weight is not a big concern, then a good ol' steel Ruger SP101 or S&W ...whatever they call theirs...would be fine. I prefer S&W revolvers over Ruger because the S&W have better feeling triggers.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I really dont advise purse carry, due to retention issues.( purse snatchers) Your more northern climate shuld allow for more clothing options for concealment.  I sold alot Ruger SP101's and S&W 640's to women when I was in the business because the weight ate up the recoil  but if she doent mind recoil one of the airlights from S&W or Taurus would work.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
.38 special!!!!
 Small enough to carry and strong enough to 'feel good'.
 A snubby looks good but at the range a 4 inch Police Positive Special loaded with 148 grain hollow base wadcutters will cut out the 10 ring no problem. A good .38 special shooting hollow base wadcutters is the most accurate hand gun bar none!!!!!!!!!!!
If you reload, the price af ammo is close to the price of .22lr.
I hope this is helpfull and I'm sure someone will argue one or all of my selling points.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with a .357 mag, 2" or 3" barrel.  A smith or ruger would be my choise, I've had 3 Tauruses over the years, all different models and all had problems, now this is just my experience, plenty of people really like the Taurus for the price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt Lawman, .357 Magnum 2.5"  

Bought it for $200.00 at my local gunshop.

I love it and my girlfriend likes it with .38's.  Surprisingly accurate with such a short barrel.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
.357 snubby hammerless.
Takes very little training, just point and pull the trigger. 38 specials for practice and .357s for carrying. If she ever has to fire it she will have saved her self before she has any idea how bad the recoil is and that is what it is all about.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#7]
S$W model 65, 3", "Ladysmith". Don't limit her to .38 specials, especially if she can handle the .357 magnum.  i specify the Ladysmith variant because it's probably better (considering the shrouded ejector and full lug) and because by choosing that over a standard 65 in 3" you free up a revolver for guys like me who really wanted one, but couldn't find one that wasn't girlied-up.
I do have one now and it is, bar none, my favorite revlover for carry. Compared to all of the others I have owned , even the python, which I never thought I'd surpass for happiness, the 65 is the one I can't stop playing with.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

We like the Taurus for price point but the S&W is smooth and reliable....gonna be a hard choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.

We like the Taurus for price point but the S&W is smooth and reliable....gonna be a hard choice.

don't forget ruger.  as far as new revolvers they usually split the difference between price for taurus and s&w.  they are a bit overbuilt but quality is always good.  check out the various sp101 and gp100.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I just bought the S&W 642 for my wife. Its a 5 shot 38SPL hammerless. I got 2 speedloaders and she will have 135gr +P Speer Gold Dots in it. She will not wear
a holster (purse carry), and does not want to carry a chambered auto. I got her
a Glock 26 originally and she does not like it. I do not blame her, and would rather see
her with  5 shots ready, then 12 rounds of 9mm that requires racking the slide then
aim/fire.

I got this one for $249.00, carried as a BUG fired once for functionality. It is in mint
condition, I pick it up next week.

S&W Model 642
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, she won't want this one.  Only a five shooter.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just bought the S&W 642 for my wife. Its a 5 shot 38SPL hammerless. I got 2 speedloaders and she will have 135gr +P Speer Gold Dots in it. She will not wear
a holster (purse carry), and does not want to carry a chambered auto. I got her
a Glock 26 originally and she does not like it. I do not blame her, and would rather see
her with  5 shots ready, then 12 rounds of 9mm that requires racking the slide then
aim/fire.

I got this one for $249.00, carried as a BUG fired once for functionality. It is in mint
condition, I pick it up next week.

S&W Model 642

That is a sweet deal....I like the 642....I think she would like it also....where do you guys find these great deals like that?  $249.00 is the right price for sure!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:39:19 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 Ruger sp101, But also consider this in the 9MM format.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
S$W model 65, 3", "Ladysmith". Don't limit her to .38 specials, especially if she can handle the .357 magnum.  i specify the Ladysmith variant because it's probably better (considering the shrouded ejector and full lug) and because by choosing that over a standard 65 in 3" you free up a revolver for guys like me who really wanted one, but couldn't find one that wasn't girlied-up.
I do have one now and it is, bar none, my favorite revlover for carry. Compared to all of the others I have owned , even the python, which I never thought I'd surpass for happiness, the 65 is the one I can't stop playing with.

I have one and freakin' love it.  One of S&W's best and most underrated offerings (sorta like the 625).  As far as being "girlied up", the logo is easily removed with some light polishing.  I put a set of Spegels on mine and it's awesome.  If you can, look around for a pre-MIM/Laywer Lock model.  I did (mine's a 65-3 LS) and it was worth the search.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Ruger SP101 38/357 Mag

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Taurus 905 series, 9mm 5-shot revolver.  Small, good grips, definitely gets the point across.  Get the hammerless if she's gonna get it for carrying in a purse.  Just an idea.....

Woody
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one and freakin' love it.  One of S&W's best and most underrated offerings (sorta like the 625).  As far as being "girlied up", the logo is easily removed with some light polishing.  I put a set of Spegels on mine and it's awesome.  If you can, look around for a pre-MIM/Laywer Lock model.  I did (mine's a 65-3 LS) and it was worth the search.
Rich

+1

The Model 65 is for me, the perfect 38/357 revolver.
I only own eight revolvers, 5 of which are 38/357, it is hands down the best, at doing all the different tasks that I ask of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#18]
+1 for the 65 3" or even a 13" 3"...  Don't forget that J&G sales had some 10 3" a while back for a good price.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
S&W for revolvers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top